More design ideas/questions

Mickldo

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
Looks good to me too. Especially the rear entry. Any interior shots?

IIRC about page 3 of the thread has a lot of detailed interior shots. I like the bed, table, seat combo. That is one thing my design was lacking, a good interior seating/table area.

whatcharterboat said:
Mick I'd really like to put together a camera system that replaced the mirrors altogether. And tap it in to the turn signal switch with possibly override buttons on either side of the steering wheel. So you end up with 3 or 4 cameras. A left, right, central rear and possibly even a close up rear over the tow ball/ We've done the close up camera before and it worked well but what do you think about the side cameras instead of mirrors?

I want to run a carputer with a 7" touchscreen in the double DIN slot of the dash. One of the functions of it would be being able take camera inputs. I was planning having a single reversing camera. I dunno about the other cameras for the side. I think I would want to keep the mirrors for normal driving and just use side cameras for reversing in tight areas, etc. I'm not even sure it would be legal to replace the mirrors with cameras. That's something to check on the ADR's.

whatcharterboat said:
Shame we had to bail early from the hillclimb. Good fun eh? John

I had a ball checking out all those cool old cars. We left about a quarter of an hour after you. Now my FIL wants to get a Porsche 944 or something similar to have a go at this event and the Maryborough Sprints and other similar events.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
he interior shots start on page 2 but continue through to page 3.

Dunno how I missed them. Yeah looks good.

I dunno about the other cameras for the side. I think I would want to keep the mirrors for normal driving and just use side cameras for reversing in tight areas, etc. I'm not even sure it would be legal to replace the mirrors with cameras. That's something to check on the ADR's.

I'm sure it's been done before on really big road going motorhomes. Mick I seem to remember a Ducati Monster "Doggo" that came out with no mirrors and a camera in the rear fairing and an LCD screen on the bars with digital instrumentation overlaying the screen. I think I'll ask Queensland Transport about this.

Now my FIL wants to get a Porsche 944 or something similar

If he's serious about that I could hook him up with that 924 Turbo. It's already had a lot of suspension/ engine mods done and would be a pretty low buck way into it. BTW I'm just going to invite myself up to your place for the Maryborough Sprints next year. Haha.

I want to run a carputer with a 7" touchscreen in the double DIN slot of the dash.

Have seen some good ones coming on the market recently. Some with Bluetooth keyboards and USB ports. So the options would be enormous. Someone I know built his own just using laptop components but with a headrest monitor in the dash.

John

Mickldo

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
Dunno how I missed them. Yeah looks good.

I'm sure it's been done before on really big road going motorhomes. Mick I seem to remember a Ducati Monster "Doggo" that came out with no mirrors and a camera in the rear fairing and an LCD screen on the bars with digital instrumentation overlaying the screen. I think I'll ask Queensland Transport about this.

We have a copy of the latest ADR's and the Code of Practice at work so if I get a chance I'll have a look myself. I noticed the other day it has been updated to reflect the changes in technology.

whatcharterboat said:
If he's serious about that I could hook him up with that 924 Turbo. It's already had a lot of suspension/ engine mods done and would be a pretty low buck way into it. BTW I'm just going to invite myself up to your place for the Maryborough Sprints next year. Haha.

Send me the details about it, I am sure he would be interested in checking it out.

No worries, I'm sure we could arrange something anytime you want to come up.

whatcharterboat said:
Have seen some good ones coming on the market recently. Some with Bluetooth keyboards and USB ports. So the options would be enormous. Someone I know built his own just using laptop components but with a headrest monitor in the dash.

John

Most of the over-the-counter ones aren't real good at running decent nav software like the Ozi-Explorer I use. My brother is a computer whiz and he reckons between his 'puter skills and my fab skills we should be able to build something neat to fit the cruiser. The forums on http://www.mp3car.com/ have heaps of good info on carputers.

whatcharterboat said:
Mick I'd really like to put together a camera system that replaced the mirrors altogether. And tap it in to the turn signal switch with possibly override buttons on either side of the steering wheel. So you end up with 3 or 4 cameras. John
Bajataco uses the system from Total Vision. It seems like a great system.

I hope you do not mind my input... I am planning on setting up my Macbook as my on-board computer. I will install the lap top remotely (to protect it from spills and what not). A Xenarc touchscreen monitor will be the input device.
706TSA%20web%20-%20front.jpg

With a bluetooth mini keyboard back-up.
5815.1.0.jpg

The computer will also act as my GPS with the USGlobalSat antenna receiver
62.jpg

It will also be my movie and music source, as well as a computer whenever needed.

Sorry, I get kinda carried away thinking about it. The project starts pretty soon. If you'd like more info I would be happy to oblige.

Mickldo

Adventurer
lostworldexpedition said:
Bajataco uses the system from Total Vision. It seems like a great system.

I hope you do not mind my input... I am planning on setting up my Macbook as my on-board computer. I will install the lap top remotely (to protect it from spills and what not). A Xenarc touchscreen monitor will be the input device.
706TSA%20web%20-%20front.jpg

With a bluetooth mini keyboard back-up.
5815.1.0.jpg

The computer will also act as my GPS with the USGlobalSat antenna receiver
62.jpg

It will also be my movie and music source, as well as a computer whenever needed.

Sorry, I get kinda carried away thinking about it. The project starts pretty soon. If you'd like more info I would be happy to oblige.

Thanks for the input Luis. The more the merrier.

In my 80 I use my Toshiba Laptop, Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, Ozi-Explorer software, HEMA maps, and Toshiba Gigabeat 30GB Mp3 player playing through a Pioneer head unit. It works great but it has wires running everywhere, is a bit of a theft incentive, and gets in the way. In my 105 I want to try and keep all of the features of my old system, incorporate a heap of new features (such as reversing camera, tyre pressure monitoring, electronic gauges, DVD, etc) but have it user friendly, no external wires, clean install that looks "factory" and allows me to keep the laptop as a backup.

I am either going to make my own or get one of these. They are the only ones I have found that handle off road navigation software out of the box. They also have fitting kits specifically for 100 series cruisers so they should be pretty easy to fit.

Mickldo

Adventurer
Mickldo said:
Thanks for the input Luis. The more the merrier.

In my 80 I use my Toshiba Laptop, Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, Ozi-Explorer software, HEMA maps, and Toshiba Gigabeat 30GB Mp3 player playing through a Pioneer head unit. It works great but it has wires running everywhere, is a bit of a theft incentive, and gets in the way. In my 105 I want to try and keep all of the features of my old system, incorporate a heap of new features (such as reversing camera, tyre pressure monitoring, electronic gauges, DVD, etc) but have it user friendly, no external wires, clean install that looks "factory" and allows me to keep the laptop as a backup.

I am either going to make my own or get one of these. They are the only ones I have found that handle off road navigation software out of the box. They also have fitting kits specifically for 100 series cruisers so they should be pretty easy to fit.

Here is their own website. http://www.vmscarpc.com.au/

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
lostworldexpedition >>
I hope you do not mind my input..

Are you kidding? Of course not. I know Mick and I might seem to have our own party most of the time, but Luis your input is more than appreciated. Thanks.

The one below isn't the one I saw recently which was a double DIN with a drop screen and a bluetooth keyboard sold as a package. I'm still looking for the link but have a look at it anyway.John.

http://www.techchee.com/2008/07/26/...-personal-computer-powered-by-atom-processor/

Bogo

Adventurer
I added a red LED night light system into our camper. Coming directly (do not pass Go, do not collect $200) from the sailing world full of night passages and accompanying navigation, I figured I'd use them a lot for the reason you cite.

I've used them two (2) times in 16 months.

Live and learn...

:)

One of our suppliers now has an interior LED light with a couple of different levels of illumination plus a red LED level. They look like a good light but like you say I don't reckon they would be used with the red very much. Maybe in the cab while driving but not in the camper.

I was figuring for pee breaks in the middle of the night. Also to check on what went bump in the middle of the night. I also do some night photography when i'm out on trips. I modified one of them LED flash lights to replace it's white LED with a similar red one.

Bogo

Adventurer
I want to run a carputer with a 7" touchscreen in the double DIN slot of the dash. One of the functions of it would be being able take camera inputs. I was planning having a single reversing camera. I dunno about the other cameras for the side. I think I would want to keep the mirrors for normal driving and just use side cameras for reversing in tight areas, etc. I'm not even sure it would be legal to replace the mirrors with cameras. That's something to check on the ADR's.

Here in the states there is a highly streamlined two seat commuter car that uses video for side view and rear view instead of mirrors. Technically it is a motorcycle as it is three wheeled but they say it conforms to car safety standards.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
I was figuring for pee breaks in the middle of the night. Also to check on what went bump in the middle of the night. I also do some night photography when i'm out on trips. I modified one of them LED flash lights to replace it's white LED with a similar red one.

PETZL http://www.the-power-of-light.com/ makes a head light with a flip-down red lens. I think the model is Tikka Plus, but I'm not certain on that.

I like the head light design better than a flashlight. It keeps my hands free for night photography.

2008-03-02-1D%20Mark%20III-IMG_2500-dpp-800.jpg

Mickldo

Adventurer
I was given a book this past weekend. Australia: Off The Beaten Track

The book is good but what got my attention was the photos of the Land Rover 130 camper all the way through the book. Very nice:drool:

It has a hard sided pop top made from alloy and then it has a slide out module on the left hand side. The slide out can only come out once the top is up. The pop top is similar to Soenke's but it also has the slide out like I was thinking towards the start of this thread.

I wish I could find some photos of it to show you. I might have to scan the pics out of the book but I don't know how that will go with copyright. I have been searching for pics but no luck so far. Maybe somebody else here has some photos of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online