More design ideas/questions

Mickldo

Adventurer
DontPanic42 said:
I am really enjoying this exchange and am learning a lot. I have been interested in retro fitting my camper with a diesel hot water system and cooker. I really want to lose the propane syetem. Here in the lower 48 and particularly the Republic of TEXAS, they act as you are out of your mind for suggesting such a thing. Can you point me towards some websites, vendors, or reference materials so that I can learn more about the systems and availability.
Thanks

As FusoFG said. Webasto is the one that I like.

Mickldo

Adventurer
So who knows how those slide out modules are operated? Would it be possible to make them heavy duty enough for off road use? What about sealing from dust? How do they route the wiring or plumbing so it doesn't get snagged?

Mickldo

Adventurer
A couple of photos of some gullwing canopies we have made at work. For mine I will use a different construction technique but the shape and profile will be similar.

Note the complex water tracks on the door seals. We have used this design on hundreds of boxes we have built for the electricity company and we have had no reports back of water leakage or dust leakage.

Mickldo

Adventurer
These are some pics of the normal type of boxes we do hundreds of. John, this is one of the FSS550 4x4 trucks with the hydraulic capstan winches I was telling you about the other day.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Bull Bars

Mick did you make the bars on the 550 or did you buy it in? There isn't a front winch as well as the rear is there?

I'm going to right a reply to everything you just put up. Are you going to stay on ExPo for a while?

Mickldo

Adventurer
Anyway, where the side gullwing doors are in the above canopy photos I plan to have slide out modules to house the kitchen and other storage. The gullwing doors would hinge from the slide out modules to allow them to be kept shut and water tight while the bed is being used.

As this design leaves no room inside the camper to sit down and eat meals etc except if you want to sit on the bed I will need an awning. Having the slide outs and the gullwing doors will make it hard though.

I will be able to drop curtains down from the gullwings to enclose the kitchen and on the other side I could use that curtain for the shower and toilet. By mounting a sailtrack to the inside of the door the curtains would be easy to attach.

Mickldo

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
Mick did you make the bars on the 550 or did you buy it in? There isn't a front winch as well as the rear is there?

I'm going to right a reply to everything you just put up. Are you going to stay on ExPo for a while?

G'day John

We get the bars from ATS in Brisvegas. Depending on the truck we can do front recovery, front capstan, rear recovery, rear capstan or rear triple recovery, or any combination of fronts and rears. I did a quote for one the other day with a front 15,000lb capstan and triple 10,000lb rear recovery winches.

I am cooking dinner here right now. Roast Pork...........yum. I will be in and out for a bit but will be on here most of tonight.

Mickldo

Adventurer
I was thinking for a rear awning I could do something like this one I saw at Purnie Bore on a RTW Landie.

They have two pool scoop handles that telescope out to support a rear awning.

Mickldo

Adventurer
Quick little hijack in my own thread. For those of you who might be interested here are some more shots of that Landie.

whatcharterboat

I'm going to right a reply

Mick. Can't believe the typo errors I'm making trying to keep up. I'm still thinking about what you said at the start of page 2. So working backwards>>>

I was thinking for a rear awning I could do something like this one I saw at Purnie Bore on a RTW Landie.

I think a man of your talents could come up with something pretty cool along these lines. If you are going to have a fixed roof, what about this> build a bar type rack if you need to but run a couple of extra long heavy duty slides underneath with a fixed alloy panel covered in PVL solar panels. Run a sail track around the outside for a mozzie screen or canvas curtain, etc. That way you don't have to mess with a tarp and it will get the solar out from under the load (or small boat) when you are pulled up to a campsite. (Remember that the PVL's are 2800mm long)

Those bars look pretty tough. Ever driven a 550? Shame fuel is the price it is cause they are so sweet. I love 'em. Here is a couple of bars we did ourselves. Wierd how the 550 4x4 is the only Isuzu model (I think) with the lights on the bar hey? These were made to clear the cab when tilting it.

2914623892_baf3dabaec.jpg

2914629452_95754a1b5a.jpg

whatcharterboat

Webasto

Mick If you want I will do a thread on diesel water heating/plumbining options in a week or so. I've set them up at least 6 or 7 different ways so I'll post something up if you (or anyone else) want. Let me know.

I know that there are other brands on the market such as Dometic and Wallis but I have only used Webasto. I get on really well with the staff and we always catch up at the big capming shows. While we don't have anything like the experience with these systems that guys living in cold countries do, Webasto in Australia has been very dedicated to promoting and developing their products in Aus and I can tell you that they give great tech support. They are happy to bounce suggested coolant circuit diagrams back and forward all day till we are both happy with a final solution for a new system/package. We tend to push the boundaries a bit rather than take an easy option and they are really accommodating.

whatcharterboat

2954223060103919311S600x600Q85.jpg

Mick. Had to laugh when I saw the route they took in Aus. Goes like this > A couple of French guys rock up in Perth surely midsummer. Head North up through the goldfields, Meekathara, Pilbara and hit the beach for a swim at Port Headland. Temps probably high 40's. They go "Nah. Bugger this." and head south instead of hitting the Northern Territory in the troppo season. Don't blame them at all for turning around. Looks like they got the map and asked someone for the coolest place in Aus which was Tassie and made a bee line for it back across the Nullabor till the season wore on a bit. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Can remember doing that road up the West Coast without aircon in an XC panelvan one December. Air was so hot you had to travel with the windows UP or it would just burn your face. Have been hotter but not with that humidity thrown in. That's tough country were they turned around, hey?

Mickldo

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
Mick. Can't believe the typo errors I'm making trying to keep up. I'm still thinking about what you said at the start of page 2. So working backwards>>>

I think a man of your talents could come up with something pretty cool along these lines. If you are going to have a fixed roof, what about this> build a bar type rack if you need to but run a couple of extra long heavy duty slides underneath with a fixed alloy panel covered in PVL solar panels. Run a sail track around the outside for a mozzie screen or canvas curtain, etc. That way you don't have to mess with a tarp and it will get the solar out from under the load (or small boat) when you are pulled up to a campsite. (Remember that the PVL's are 2800mm long)

Those bars look pretty tough. Ever driven a 550? Shame fuel is the price it is cause they are so sweet. I love 'em. Here is a couple of bars we did ourselves. Wierd how the 550 4x4 is the only Isuzu model (I think) with the lights on the bar hey? These were made to clear the cab when tilting it.

2914623892_baf3dabaec.jpg

2914629452_95754a1b5a.jpg

Sorry about the lack of replies so far, we just had visitors turn up.

I like the idea of the rear awning incorporating the solar panels. It would act as a tropical roof in the closed position too. Of course that would be more sliding wiring I need to work out. The 2800mm might be a bit long too, I am only planning on the tray being about 2100-2200mm long. I might have to go for conventional solar panels instead. I have been thinking of being able to carry a kayak or two on the roof.

I have driven the 550's. The boss and I are the only ones at work with truck licenses so I usually get the job of delivering the trucks. I like the 550's but like you say, the price of fuel the way it is.......

Mickldo

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
Mick If you want I will do a thread on diesel water heating/plumbining options in a week or so. I've set them up at least 6 or 7 different ways so I'll post something up if you (or anyone else) want. Let me know.

I know that there are other brands on the market such as Dometic and Wallis but I have only used Webasto. I get on really well with the staff and we always catch up at the big capming shows. While we don't have anything like the experience with these systems that guys living in cold countries do, Webasto in Australia has been very dedicated to promoting and developing their products in Aus and I can tell you that they give great tech support. They are happy to bounce suggested coolant circuit diagrams back and forward all day till we are both happy with a final solution for a new system/package. We tend to push the boundaries a bit rather than take an easy option and they are really accommodating.

Sounds like a good idea for a thread. I might be able to contribute a little too.

I have only had limited contact with Webasto so far but they have been very helpful to me so far, helping me do quotes on boats. I personally like their product better than the others on the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior