The Official XV-JP Fetching Thread

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Those things are impressive! Mike's one lucky son of a gun! Man it's even optioned to the hilt. I mean it even comes with its own onboard IT nerd. :victory:
cshontz said:
2930616142_afca27c33f_b.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Which is more interesting (or better), I-70 or I-80? They both run parallel toward Denver, but they're north and south of each other.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Can anyone recommend any mountain passes near, or kinda near Denver, that might be good for touring? Nothing technical, obviously - just beautiful scenery, and perhaps a good spot to spend the night?

I'm thinking about hooking under and around Denver, and coming in from the other side.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Geez, what with the SL and the CLS, looks like I bought the cheapest thing they had to offer. :)

2930612858_f566d7bbb3_b.jpg

Nice to know the transaction went smoothly and that Chris is looking forward to a good trip. (No, I wasn't the one to insist he get his hair cut before he could drive it.)

Now would some of you send this poor guy suggestions for some interesting things to see on the way? Besides corn. (FWIW, the Iowa Interstate 80 song is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyeY0hWU28I)

And thanks, Chris.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
Which is more interesting (or better), I-70 or I-80? They both run parallel toward Denver, but they're north and south of each other.
If you end up deciding to take I-70, I'd head southwest toward Marietta, OH and foresake the superslab between there and a bit west west of Terre Haute, IN. Hit some of the less-traveled two-lanes in Southern Ohio and then go through Brown County (Nashville, IN) to see the fall color and purty scenery.

It's starting to get a little chilly in Colorado. You might want to bring something a little warmer than that vest. I suggest the jean jacket.

:beer:

:beer:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Purple People Eater said:
It's starting to get a little chilly in Colorado. You might want to bring something a little warmer than that vest. I suggest the jean jacket.

No, I have an even better idea than that! How 'bout the vest and the jean jacket... layered. Very Marty McFly-chic. ;)

marty-mcfly.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike! Keep 'em comin', guys.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Okay, I have two hurdles to overcome in order to post updates during my trip: 1) I need power (gonna shop for an inverter this morning), and 2) I'll need to scout for wifi. However, in the event that I am able to get online, keep an eye on the following pages in addition to this thread:

Earthroamer XV-JP Flickr photoset: (this is where I'll be dumping my pics)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cshontz/sets/72157607932395617/

Google MyMaps: (shows where I am / have been)
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=113694969222119050228.000458f7e504dafc2468e

spencyg

This Space For Rent
This whole concept is friggin cool. In the boating/yachting world this is called a delivery and usually happens only after exchanging large sums of money and insurance paperwork. To see it happen on the fly with a gentlemens' agreement is absolutely awesome. Chris...you have a lot of jealous people watching with baited breath right now...

God Speed.

Spence

jim65wagon

2 things come to mind:
1) your home is in an intersection
2) I second a trip through Nashville IN, my Mom lives there and the countryside is beautiful. If I had the time I'd take US50 across Ohio, through Seymour IN (I grew up there) and pick up 135 after passing through Brownstown. 135 will take you through a bit of the Hoosier National Forest and leave you just outside of Nashville. You can stop at Nashville and go crazy at the craft shops!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
Thanks for the suggestions, Mike! Keep 'em comin', guys.
All righty. From my vast reference library, I see that you'd be expected to enjoy the "Missouri Rhineland." At St. Charles, MO on I-70, take MO94 along the Missouri River to Jefferson City. Wahington and Hermann are listed as worthwhile detours across the river.

We also have part of the Sante Fe trail thorugh Kansas. At Olathe, just south of Kansas City, Kansas and I-70, take US56 through Burlingame, Marion and Lyons. If you want, at Lyons, you can detour south to see the Quivira National Wildlife Refuge off KS484, then pick up US56 again at Great Bend. Follow it through Larned and Kinsley to end up in Dodge City on US50.

The Southern Ohio drive I mentioned was OH226 out of Marietta, OH376 to McConnellsville, OH78 to Nelsonville, OH276 to Lake Hope State Park, backtrack a little onto OH56 past Hocking Hills State Park, north onto OH374 at Cedar Falls. Turn onto OH180 westbound to Laurelville, then south onto OH327 into Londonderry and then west on US50 into Chllicothe.

Also know that if you care to enter Marietta from Woodsfield to the northeast, you'll go down OH26, the Covered Bridge Scenic Highway. Pretty, but real twisty, IIRC.

Good luck, young Frodo.

Gandalf

Last edited:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
How did i miss this thread... i would have worked cheaper than Chris! This was about 1/2 hr from me, had i known i would have went and gawked at it.

I kid though... wouldnt have been able to get the time off on short notice. You lucky SOB Chris.. would have loved to join ya on this delivery.

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
I recently got to partake in an XV-JP "delivery mission" too, but not quite as epic as this one. Just 14.5 hours of driving in one day (solo) from AZ to CO. It needed to go back to the "spa" for some "treatments." Chris - enjoy this adventure in a super-cool vehicle that is sure to turn a lot of heads!!

xvjp.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Short update. I'm in Columbus and need to start thinking about finding a place to spend the night. This wifi-hot parking lot between a Longhorn and a hotel isn't going to cut it.

Today was awesome. I got an inverter, which is nice because I've been wanting one for the Cherokee. Every time I stopped, someone would approach me with questions or just to take pictures. :D

I have some pics myself, but nothing too remarkable so I'm going to keep moving, Mike, the Earthroamer has been performing like a million bucks. Very pleasant to drive.

Thanks for the route suggestions, everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior