$100,000 Dodge 4x4

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
So says this Four Wheeler article down at the bottom of the page, thought that headline would get y'all's attention.
Vehicle: 1950 Dodge B2PW Power Wagon with Campbell Body
Estimated Value: $100,000+
1950_dodge_power_wagon.jpg

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Wow, that is beautiful. I would be afraid to drive it on anything too challenging- would NOT want to ruin such craftsmanship. Thanks for posting it up.

1speed

Explorer
So would it be bad if I took a truck like that, lifted it six inches, put 44's on it, stripped the cummins and axles out of my 3500 and stuffed them in it?
I really want a truck like that, old meets new!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
That thing is in the "too cool to abuse" category.

1speed said:
So would it be bad if I took a truck like that, lifted it six inches, put 44's on it, stripped the cummins and axles out of my 3500 and stuffed them in it?
I really want a truck like that, old meets new!
Why not just strip off the 3500's sheet metal and graft on a M37 front with whatever you want behind it? I keep thinking of projects like that. Was tempted to do just that to my '79 Sub.

jcbrandon

Explorer
ntsqd said:
That thing is in the "too cool to abuse" category.

Why not just strip off the 3500's sheet metal and graft on a M37 front with whatever you want behind it? ...
Maybe start with a wrecked truck. It would be a fantastic project. Coachwork would be a challenge; but doable, given enough time.

1speed

Explorer
Someday. Right now the LAST thing I need is another project. Still need to re-gear the Rubicon, refinish the trailer, figure out hard bags for the Triumph I'm buying, at the very least new tires and paint for the Dodge.... And I think my wife may have said she had a list somewhere.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
1speed said:
Someday. Right now the LAST thing I need is another project. Still need to re-gear the Rubicon, refinish the trailer, figure out hard bags for the Triumph I'm buying, at the very least new tires and paint for the Dodge.... And I think my wife may have said she had a list somewhere.
LOL!!!! Story of my life right there, and no wife!!!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would quibble a bit with the "estimated value" part. A thing is only worth what someone will pay for it and as nice as the PW Limo is, they're not heavily collectible. There are enthusiasts out there but the number of PW enthusiasts who actually have 100k to spend and actually would pay $100k for something they didn't restore themselves are so small as to be effectively nonexistent.

Keep in mind that the "classic" Power Wagon was sold in the US in more or less the same configuration from 1946 until 1968. Overseas production ended in the early 70's (1972, IIRC.) My point being that these "classic" Power Wagons are not excessively rare. I can think of at least half a dozen I've seen in recent months in and around Denver.

The military cousin of the PW, the M37 series of vehicles, is even more common than the PW.

For those interested in PWs, there is (or was) a magazine actually dedicated to them: Power Wagon Advertiser, published in Iowa.

The M600 series of military vehicles are somewhat rare but they turn up occasionally. They were militarized versions of the post-WWII Civilian PW that were marketed exclusively for export to other countries (the US military never used any of the M600 series vehicles.) I have seen photos of ambulance versions, carryall versions and pickups with soft tops, similar to the M37 but distinct in a number of different ways.

(Note: I owned a 1952 M-43 ambulance, the ambulance variant of the M37, from 1993 to 1995, which is how I got "into" Power Wagons.)

corbin8or

Adventurer

I am in a boat like that! trying to get my truck done and put a rotary engine in a midget and keep the girlfriend happy... make money somewhere in there!:victory:

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
..a boat..
Speaking of boats & wood wagons... well, canoes perhaps. How 'bout a 1931 Ford Woody Camper? Scroll down to the last photo at this link, it says it has a fold down bed, ice box, water tank and "bbq grill with a Ford insignia." Try a Marmon-Herrington vintage 4x4 conversion, and you'd have a really nifty old Expo camper. I've seen '40s Ford M-H woody wagons, don't have the links handy at the moment...

image002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier