1958 Series II 88 Axle swap

bigoutfit

HI!! I have a 58 series II that I rescued that had been used as the "parts rover" and picked apart over the years. The original axles have been stripped of all parts except the axle housings. I am located in Montana and haven't found any rover axles available locally. I am looking to retain a stock look, and don't plan to use it hard. What axles have folks replaced the stock axles with? Thanks

Correus

Adventurer
In all honesty I would stick with the axles intended for it. There are several Land Rover Series parts dealers here in the US that can definitely help you out. There are also a few Series owners here in the US that have spare parts they are willing to part with.

Since you have a rather old SII, it wouldn't hurt if you joined the S2C (Series 2 Club) forum, it's dedicated to the SII and SIIa Rovers. I'm the US Rep for the organization and own an early '63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon.

JackW

Explorer
Shouldn't be too hard to find replacement axle assemblies - they were the same in the 88" SWB models from around 1957 until the last of the Series III's in the early 1980's.

If your housings are in good shape everything just bolts on so all you have to find is a donor from another dead Rover.

ShearPin

Adventurer
If you’re not pursuing big power nor running big tires I’d stick with the stock axles and gearing. I’ve owned my Series III for almost thirty years with a stock driveline and never had a differential or front axle failure. After a rear axle snap early in my ownership, I replaced them with Great Basin strengthened 10 splined shafts which solved the problem. I am not sure if Great Basin still sells this product but other retailers still supply a strengthened option.

My usage was loaded, overlandy type stuff with mostly moderate off roading done with a lot of mechanical sympathy. If this is what you anticipate doing - building up your existing tubes with parts from any of the any parts suppliers should be easy. Trevor, at the mentioned Rovah Farm, saved my bacon on a recent trip. Rovers North often lists used diffs available. Etc.

Henry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12