1962 Land Rover 109 in October 2009 Orvis Catalog

TeriAnn

Explorer
I've seen this truck or its twin at the Greek Peak meet in New York, in 1998. If it is the same truck it was light green at the time and had a Brownchurch roof rack, different front fuel can holders an external sun visor and a right side mounted swing out aluminum awning made in South Africa. The ONLY Martin Walters parts on the truck was the folding seats AND a Martin Walter commission plate that has "SPECIAL" stamped on the plate. I talked to the owners and they mentioned a history similar to the one claimed. If it is the same truck a lot of goodies got stripped off in the rebuild and it was painted a non stock colour. I really regret not having photographed the commission plate.

SpDormie.jpeg

Special Dormobile, 1998, New York​

With everyone raising the price of their trucks and at least one going for US$65K, I need to raise the price of my truck even higher than I think anyone would pay for it just so I can keep it.

1960 Land Rover motor cravan
MATTtwWater%20copy.jpg

Fully tested
TWgrCampThurs%20copy.jpg

US$75,000​

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Though it looks a bit dark, like the Deep Bronze Green used on SVO vehicles, Bronze Green was a very popular colour.
For a $65k restoration I think I'd have used Mayflower hubs rather than Dualamatics which weren't an option until '66 I think.

4xdog

Explorer
My original scan of the ad page that started this thread didn't capture the color all that well. The online Orvis catalog images will give you a much better idea of the color of the vehicle.

Don

LR Orvis Catalog 2009 10.jpg

TeriAnn

Explorer
Though it looks a bit dark, like the Deep Bronze Green used on SVO vehicles, Bronze Green was a very popular colour.
For a $65k restoration I think I'd have used Mayflower hubs rather than Dualamatics which weren't an option until '66 I think.

If it is the truck I think it is , the colour is not the same as it was given at the factory, the front jerrycan bits are different, Chrome wing mirrors???? and it is missing the gear it overlanded with including the external visor, special roof rack to allow it to carry a canoe though Africa and side awning.

To me a restoration is either to factory original or to a point in the vehicle's history. At best I might call it a like new Dormobile special. Which is rare & nice in its own right but not restored to a point in its history.

I know, just semantics.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
To me a restoration is either to factory original or to a point in the vehicle's history.
Ah, gotcha now. I was thought you were saying bronze green, if that's what it is, wasn't a factory original colour in general. ;)

I agree about the chrome mirrors, I didn't even notice them.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Ah, but now we can start the eternal rivet counting arguement as to whether the rear tub rivets should have been painted or not.

Stirring the pot some.

Can I whine a little too????

That sun sheet and wheel colour looks a little more "Sand" than "Limestone", no?

Having said that, I retrieved Brett's pick-up top from Illinois this past weekend for use on the 109....it'll be the "wrong" color too :) when I'm done with it!

TeriAnn

Explorer
Ah, but now we can start the eternal rivet counting arguement as to whether the rear tub rivets should have been painted or not.

And therein lies the difference between "restoration" and "like new condition"

I seem to be pathologically incapable of doing a restoration but I can and have rebuilt a car to like new condition.

TWTR.jpg

Even though restored cars are not something I seem to be able to do for my own use I can appreciate them and I do tend to get my hi-cut briefs into a twist then someone modifies a vehicle and proclaims it to be a restoration.

EricWS

Observer
Kinda cool you dig restorations TAW. Didn't expect that. And I dig your definition as well.

Being a dyed in the wool guy, I am also starting to see the light of Timm Cooper's world as well. Something very cool about the quality of the work he does.

EwS

TeriAnn

Explorer
Kinda cool you dig restorations TAW. Didn't expect that.

I've always liked restorations that brings a vehicle back to what it looked like when it first rolled off the assembly line. I also like historical recreation restorations that bring a vehicle back to how it looked at a certain time. Its just that for my own vehicle I like to mold it to best fit my needs, both real and imagined. That's why I'm always tweaking with them. I also appreciate vehicles that have been molded to fit the needs of others. I just feel sad about trucks that have been uncared for. Its all about the passion.

Being a dyed in the wool guy, I am also starting to see the light of Timm Cooper's world as well. Something very cool about the quality of the work he does.
EwS

Hot rodder Timm. If every there was a guy who was into smoking a Land Rover's tyres with pure HP and taking a Land Rover into places few Land Rovers have successfully ventured, it is Timm. He constantly tests then stretches the boundaries of what can be done and how well things can hold together. He has learned a lot along the way. Where his sense of reality and mine overlap I try to take advantage of his skills. Though I really do think 600 HP is just a tad much for a Series I 80. But boys and their toys.

TeriAnn

Explorer
looks nice. wish i could buy one with a diesel in the USA

No problem. Even California would not look twice if you declare a LR 2.25 diesel in a 1960's Land Rover. It was a factory option available in the USA.

2.25L 8:1 petrol - 70 HP @ 4000 RPM, 120 lbft @ 2000 RPM

2.25L diesel - 62 hp @ 4000RPM, 103 lbft @1800 RPM

evilfij

Explorer
I don't think it is the same as the light green one. I see that one at MAR every year and it was there this year so I am pretty sure this one is different. Mike at ECR says that he knew the Orvis truck about 10 years ago as discussed on another rover board.

Wander

Expedition Leader
I'll bet the Orvis rover found a wealthy owner that fell for the picture and the allure of adventure, Orvis has a lot of customers that fit that description. Not knocking the owner, it's a beautiful Landy and I'm glad someone has been that sucessful to afford it-I also like just about everything I've ever bought from Orvis (mostly on sale...)

I do wonder how I'll ever be able to get a series rover for myself with the prices they bring and/or the money required to bring a "cheap" one back to where it should be. One day...one day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12