Baja to Mainland To Central To South??

4cruzer

Adventurer
Leaving 11/24 to spend december in baja... then ferry to mainland, then south, south and south. A lot of surfing, kayak fishing, and camping coming my way. We've quit jobs and are moving out of houses. No planned schedule, no planned return date.
Should have a website up soon...
My brother, me and dog.
Big ugly Suburban. Leaving trail rigs home. Selling everything else (except bicycles). Anyone planning baja trip in winter? Plans for Central America this spring? We'd love to meet up...

I should thank the people on this board for the direct and indirect assistance and the countless examples of what a vehicle and a trip like this one should/ can be... What an incredible wealth of info and pics.
Just can't wait....
Cheers
Alex and Garen
And Camper (dog)

haven

Expedition Leader
Congratulations on your decision to travel! You might want to stay in USA for a couple of weeks so you can thoroughly test your camping setup before pushing off for more remote locations.

Let us know the website address so we can share your adventures.

Chip Haven

Sounds sweet...it would be cool (for those of us leaving in similar trips at a later time) if you posted pics and reviews of beaches, camping spots and food.

Hopefully we will meet at some point. Our departure date has been very fickle lately. Spring '09...

Have you looked into traveling with dog through borders. I am curious to hear what you have found out. We have gotten very different information from many sources, nothing seems concrete. We have considered leaving our four legged son with family.

Good luck.

J-man

Adventurer
Sounds awesome - best way to go is just to go! Ill be drivin baja headin to cabo around the 15th of december. Pm me for surfspots if you dont know any yet. December gets good around the 7 sisters area. "Krocodiles" are great lures for near beach/rock fishing in baja as well as a speargun - will get u dinner every night.

4cruzer said:
Leaving 11/24 to spend december in baja... then ferry to mainland, then south, south and south. A lot of surfing, kayak fishing, and camping coming my way. We've quit jobs and are moving out of houses. No planned schedule, no planned return date.
Should have a website up soon...
My brother, me and dog.
Big ugly Suburban. Leaving trail rigs home. Selling everything else (except bicycles). Anyone planning baja trip in winter? Plans for Central America this spring? We'd love to meet up...

I should thank the people on this board for the direct and indirect assistance and the countless examples of what a vehicle and a trip like this one should/ can be... What an incredible wealth of info and pics.
Just can't wait....
Cheers
Alex and Garen
And Camper (dog)

4cruzer

Adventurer
Yeah!
Just finished some interior woodwork, now needs carpet. Transfer the Engel over from toyota next week. Still lots of work to be done, but things are looking up. Cruiser Guy, I would absolutely love to meet you in Guatamala City, I'll be PMing you. J-man, Would love to get some lowdown from you and maybe even bump into you somewhere on the way down. I'll be PMing you too. I'll be sure to bring some crocodiles out there. I have a few known killers in the box already.. Getting pretty damn excited. Hope I can focus during this last month of work!...
Thanks for all the input/ replies. This will be well documented; I'll certainly post a link here before we go.
Cheers!
Garen

Chirumba

Leading through the boarders...

Hi,

I am leaving around the same time as you but heading straight to Central America. I am planning on posting trip details on www.teamdust.com including how we make out on border crossings. If you might find it interesting to check in when you hit the mainland to see if we encounter any problems.

Have a great trip and maybe our paths will cross someplace?

Ryan

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
For Mexico, IIRC an international veterinary certificate is required for a dog to be taken in. The rest of Central/South America I don't know...but to be honest, I think you'd be asking for trouble, not to mention having to occasionally leave the poor pooch in the truck.

He'd likely be much happier with family at home.

-H-

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I have been traveling thru Mexico many times with my dogs and I have never been ask questions on my dogs, i think you will be fine in Mexico, i am uncertain about Central America!

You have great videos in your web!

Good work and good luck!:wavey:

dustboy

Explorer
HA! I knew you were posting on here somewhere..
Best wishes for your trip, I'll see you at the going away party.

E

4cruzer

Adventurer
getting down to it....

Okay, lots of rig work happening and we now have ~14 feet of roof rack space and ~8 feet of flat sleeping space in the back of the rig. There is a TON of storage; much more than I expected, but we have a TON of gear. We have two spare tires and the ability to carry just over 40 gallons of fuel and with a projected 18mpg loaded, I think we'll have decent range. We have a winch and a ton of recovery gear from trail trucks past. I installed an isolated third yellow top and my Engel from the 4runner. This is going to be one loaded down beast of an '89 Suburban. Going away party east side Santa Cruz November 23. Driving south 11/25, crossing border 12/1/08. There isn't much up right now, but the site will be whereeaglesdare.org. This is a forwarded Blogger site that will allow web-based updates and will contain lots more about the rig and the trip in the coming days.....
I'll try to log in here on Expo, so if anyone will be in Baja during December, we might be able to meet. EXCITED!!!!!!!
2959741873_961fd10bba.jpg

J-man

Adventurer
Sounds awesome. Although i'd stick with just one spare tire and a tire fix kit - less = better. Ill be in baja around the 19th camped near santa rosaliata (60 or so miles north of Guerrero Negro) - surfin for a few days. Let me know when it gets closer to the time if youll be there that time.

Also with that rig - dropping your estimated fuel mileage down to about 13 mpg is more realistic when fully laden and a roof full of wind resistance...

cruiser guy

Explorer
J-man said:
Also with that rig - dropping your estimated fuel mileage down to about 13 mpg is more realistic when fully laden and a roof full of wind resistance...

Yep, that's going to be one thirsty rig! !3 MPG is probably the high side of average!!

4cruzer

Adventurer
J-man, sounds good, though we might be south of there at that point.. we'll see! what are you driving? The sub is diesel, and it's getting 20-22mpg now, so we'll see what happens with the gear on the roof... call me optimistic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz