stereo question

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'm installing a kenwood navigation unit in my van, and it looks like I'll be doing some trimming to make it fit. Have any of you had to do this? I've seen similar units in Smb's many times. Just want to double check before I start cutting tommorrow!!!! Thanks

Clark

Observer
Why do you think that you'll have to be doing some trimming to make it fit? When I googled kenwood navigation units they all looked like they would fit a standard opening. When I was working around my stock head unit there seemed to be a lot of room. By the way, which system are you looking at?

jammyauto

Adventurer
Ujoint, your van has a 1.5 DIN opening. All the units you see SMB's are double DIN. The older "regular" size stereo is a single DIN opening. I believe that the new body econoline now has a double Din hole in the dash. You will need to trim the dash slightly to fit your new unit but it's not that big of a deal.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yea, mucho trimming was involved. I even had to trim the cage that holds the radio. That sucker is press fitted in te dash! So I don't think any extra bracing will be needed. I still have to run my reverse trigger & rear camera...

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I like our Pioneer because the unit automatically turns on the back up camera when i toss the tranny in reverse. I was told this is a pioneer only deal.. or else you have to use a switch. Kind of nice. Funny, i used to give people crap for using a back up camera... but after a short while of having it on the SMB, its a great tool. Especially when hooking up to the TJ or a trailer to tow.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The Kenwood does it also, it's one of the wires still hanging from my kick panel that needs to be wired. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz