1989 Rock Raider

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I'll start documenting this project even though it's in it's infancy, PA_JERO and I decided it was time for an all out crawler since we've been getting into some pretty crazy trails lately. We need something lighter with less body, originally we were going to start with a parts rig but this Raider is a much better starting point.

Here it is on day 1

20230304_084054.jpg

...and a quick photo chop of the end goal; stretched, linked, tons, 40"+ tires, hydro steer, Atlas 4 and coilovers.

choptop.png

Toasty

Also day 1. This Raider had some transmission issues and had been sitting for a while because it didn't like going in reverse. We spent the day swapping out the transmission for an unknown condition auto out of the '90 I'm currently working on which had been sitting outside on a cart for some years. Luckily whatever was covering the torque converter had disintegrated or was blown off and the TC got rained in for some years. New torque converter was ordered from RockAuto...

20230304_115250.jpg20230304_090738.jpg

We pulled the original transmission to find most of the TC bolts were loose and upon unboxing the new TC for the donor transmission was not a match.

20230304_130351.jpg20230304_130345.jpg

Toasty

Aside from cosmetic and minor mechanical issues this truck is a SOLID AZ rig with virtually no rust making it the best candidate for a serious overhaul.

20230304_153856.jpg20230309_134652.jpg

We ended up using the TC from the '90 as well, I spent some time vacuuming out the water, dirt and oil before we installed it. The new trans shifts really strong and all the gears work but I'm two fluid changes in and it still runs pink so I'm going to do one more fill and a good spirited drive before taking it to the transmission shop for a real flush. I'm feeling good about it!

20230309_140554.jpg20230404_180209.jpg

Toasty

PA_JERO scored a deal on a set of Superduty axles with the stock mounts already removed.

20230310_180756.jpg

Then we scored a set of 40" Toyo reds from our friend Mike!

20230219_105527.jpg

I also had a lot left over from the last SAS as far as brackets go I have enough to do the 3-link front.

IMG_20230209_091428_471.jpg

I guess we're off to a decent start already.

CharlieNorth

What stall speed do you guys like for crawling?
Decades back when I built my turbo 2.6 Montero it was frustrating driving, the engine had gobs of low end torque but the TC stall speed flashed out around 25-2700 ish. Kind of a PIA to drive on road of trail.
Worked with a shop for a custom low stall converter. The one they supplied worked great with a stall down around 13-1500, I do not actually recall.
Issue was it tore all the vanes out in short order.
Turns out the converter was simply from a V6 Toyota, The shop brazed the fins as they should have.
That work was done back in 1990 and made a much nicer driving rig whether I was fording over the hood depth streams, crawling rocks which was allot easier or towing trailers.
Granted I do not know what the stall speed of the Mitsu 3.0 converter is.

Toasty

What stall speed do you guys like for crawling?
Decades back when I built my turbo 2.6 Montero it was frustrating driving, the engine had gobs of low end torque but the TC stall speed flashed out around 25-2700 ish. Kind of a PIA to drive on road of trail.
Worked with a shop for a custom low stall converter. The one they supplied worked great with a stall down around 13-1500, I do not actually recall.
Issue was it tore all the vanes out in short order.
Turns out the converter was simply from a V6 Toyota, The shop brazed the fins as they should have.
That work was done back in 1990 and made a much nicer driving rig whether I was fording over the hood depth streams, crawling rocks which was allot easier or towing trailers.
Granted I do not know what the stall speed of the Mitsu 3.0 converter is.

We're all running stock converters, I don't know anything about the stall ratios or what's ideal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears