1989 V6 Overhaul

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Got some progress made today. Lots of little meticulous details here. A lot of right stuff gasket maker applied to surfaces of oil components. Tomorrow I will wrap this up and install it back into my bad *** raider.

Check it out.

syrapaje.jpg

zeba7ase.jpg

5uze9esy.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Update: the intake has been installed as well as the distributor and all of the timing components. I need to take a break right now, and then I need to go to AutoZone for a few odds and ends. But I thought this would be a good time to give you guys a couple photographs online.

evyrapa8.jpg

e8ugyteg.jpg

8uva5yme.jpg

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Update: I got a lot more the accessories this evening. I also mounted a lot of the auxiliary bracketing. Fans and belts have been installed. New spark plugs and new spark plug wires. I also just installed a new thermostat. A new oil filter. Some new heater hoses.

a3a8ypyv.jpg

5u8ame6u.jpg

sajadegu.jpg

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Okay, engine has been fully assembled and has been installed back into the engine compartment. Up next, set the distributor up so that it is #1 TDC and start it up. I will have to wait until Friday to do that as I'm traveling for work all week long.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I was thinking about my rebuild and this post is going to serve as a reminder to myself about the things I have to accomplish this coming weekend.

#1. Mongo pointed out in a different thread something about the thermostat having to be aligned in a particular way. It was a great reminder because I forgot that I needed to do that and I'm almost 100% positive it is not installed properly. Refer to this thread for details: wierd idle/no power I purchased a thermostat from Autozone last week that was supposedly OEM temperature equivalent. However the metal stamp on the bottom of the thermostat clearly stated 180°F. Order the appropriate thermostat along with a new gasket. Again, refer to the aforementioned thread to view the specifications on this thermostat.
413DiT4EFIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

#2. The new fan clutch arrived via Fed Ex early Monday morning (finally). Swap this out for your old fan clutch. This will complete your cooling system upgrade with the exception of a new radiator. (Don't you hate it when you wait for parts to arrive until you can't wait anymore, then you install your engine, only to have the stupid part arrive the very next day?)
G501091794NPW.JPG

#3. Align the distributor #1 post to #1 TDC.
10.jpg

#4. Replace the battery, yours is completely dead and really, really old.
OPTIMA-D51.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior