1996 Montero Front End Shakes

96 Montero

I have a question. My Montero shakes at 60 mph I have already replace the U/L ball joints, I/O tie rod ends, pitman arm, rotors and calipers. It did this when I bought it so I bought new tires and it continued to shake Anyone have any ideas ?

96 Montero

The shocks are a year old and the tires were balanced when I purchased them although now I am in need of a new set tires due to the wear and tear from the shaking from the front end also it feels like it is only coming from the passenger side.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Are those shocks decent mono tube design shocks like KYB, Tokico, ARB, or Edelbrock? If they're normal shocks like all of the Monroe models, then that could explain your problem.

scrubber3

Not really here
If it starts to shake at 60mph, it can only be a wheel/tire issue. Either you have a bent rim, a tire out of balance, a warped tire, flat spot, or busted belt. Does the steering wheel shake? Is it coming from the front or rear? I have on occasion seen worn springs do this, but there was a bent rim involved. It was coincidentally helped with new springs though. It's best to take it to a very good technician who is versed in trouble shooting these things. Also, what brand/ rating/ type/ size tire do you have?

I would like to stress that it is impossible to diagnose a problem like this online. We can only assist you and very accurate information is needed on your part.

Last edited:

shov3lbum

Adventurer
I have had consistent shaking/vibration issues on the front end of my truck too...very, very irritating, seeing as I how I have replaced almost everything.

August 2009: all ball joints on all the A-arms with Moog ball joints
May 2010: new wheel bearings, although did not replace needle bearings at the time...stupid :oops: but I didn't have the parts (unprepared) and would have to been ordered
July 2010: passenger upper control arm which came with a new Moog ball joint, and idler arm, and inner passenger tie-rod end
September 2010: outer tie rod ends
July 2011: idler arm fails (due to manufacturer or my own fault for not greasing) replaced under shop's warranty
March 2012: pitman arm

What I noticed through all this? Every time a part was replaced the steering/shaking got maybe a hair better...but the main issue is still the steering box, no matter how many ways I go around it...I'm going to have to drop the ball on a remanufactured one soon seeing how I have about 1-2" of "free space" in my steering wheel movement (which is definitely out of "normal" after checking the manual!)

So since you have changed the pitman arm, but not yet the idler arm, the next bet would be the idler arm, since they usually go around the same time (that's what my mechanics have told me at least) and you may have bad bushings in either the upper or lower control arms or both. Any one of these wear items would cause your shaking or vibrations.

Monterorider

Adventurer
I've had similar problem awhile ago. Check your wheel bearings. If there is any play it will shake out everything else. To check take your calipers off. Best replacement - junk yard 2WD Sport's hubs and rotors. Sames ones as 4WD so way overbuild for 2wd use.

shov3lbum

Adventurer
Speaking of wheel bearings, a common problem seen when replacing them is not setting the proper pre-load on them, and before you know it, you have to replace them very soon. Read your manuals!

96 Montero

Wow thanks to everyone for your input. To answer everyone's question I have Gabrielle shocks nothing special they are better than the OEM's that were on it when I purchased the truck. Next I plan on replacing the idler arm and I do have about 1 - 2 " in play in the steering wheel the guy did my front end alignment told me about the steering box issue. Also as for having bent rims I have rotated all tires to the RF and continue to get the same result. I truly believe it is coming from the RF side of the truck I would think that if my springs in the rear were worn I would know this wouldn't I ? I did have a shock LR go bad and it bounced up and down like a tennis ball. I hope I covered everything.

zukrider

Explorer
could be wear in the cv joint. have you tried adjusting the steering box play? not sure if you can. i also have a high speed vibe, but im pretty sure its the tires. sounds like yours is not tires. thinking your on the right path though. good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior