1999 Montero Sport issues

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
Posting this on behalf of my sister. Her Montero Sport has been having some issues and I'm trying to get them straightened out.

I just replaced the computer located under the passenger side kick panel. The battery is pretty much dead and needed a jump to get started. After fixing a previous issue, my dad had put the battery in wrong and caused some more issues, hence putting in a new computer.

After I put it in, and got the car jumped properly, a new issue arose. After about 5 minutes of the Montero running fine, it started to idle really rough. I hopped in and tried giving it more gas so that it wouldn't die. As soon as I put my foot on the gas the RPMS dropped hard and nearly died. I repeatedly tried to pump it, but every time it wanted to die when giving it gas.

After doing some research last night, people with some of the same symptoms have suggested that it is either the IAC or the Fuel Pump Control Module. My question is, where is the fuel pump control module located? In the gas tank, and is it part of the actual fuel pump assembly? I've never had to mess with a fuel pump so this is new to me. Judging by the other related stories found while researching, I'm leaning towards it being fuel related.

My sister and dad were told that a couple of the cylinders were "miss-firing" due to my dad mixing up the battery posts/wires, and that's why they had me put in a new computer.

Thanks.

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
Got the problem sorted out. Apparently its a fairly common issue when jumping the battery with reverse polarity. My dad wasn't paying attention to which post was which when replacing the battery.

This caused a surge in the system and took out the fuel control module located under the passenger side kick panel. Symptoms include rough idle, engine wanting to die when giving it gas. The symptoms only appear after being fully warmed up, at cold they won't show. An easy way to test if its the fuel module is to u plug the MAF sensor when the symptoms start, if they go away, its likely to be the module as by unplugging the MAF it bypasses said module.

Went to the junk hard and got a replacement fuel module for $8, 5 minutes later it's running without any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan