2 heavy ?

LIVEABOARD

Adventurer
In midst of building JK expo vehicle thinking of using 255/80/17 KM2 do u think load range E is to stiff for this vehicle performance/ride wise what do u think ? opinions please THX

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i think it depends on how much weight you are carrying.

i have a 5500 lbs commander on 255/75/17 mud km's load range C. they have about 1/4 tread left after 2 years and 40K miles.

you'll have to just air down your tires more off road for a better ride.

Yosh_Lopez

Observer
I, too want to run the 255/80 17 KM2. Does anyone know of a vendor that stocks this size? Tire Rack and Discount Tire do not have it.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: You're getting close to military stats

That "load range" will support your jeep forever, but

you will have trouble in sand and snow, by the time your "air down" footprint is wide enough, you'll be blowing beads

Guess it depends on what your building the jeep TO DO

Load range "E" isn't for light duty jeeps

:costumed-smiley-007:smiley_drive::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

LIVEABOARD

Adventurer
255/80/17 have only been sold in asia so far but production just started in this counry last week and will be avail 2nd 3rd week Sept u can pre order

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
what will the price be on the 255/80/17's?

right now i can pick up 4 new - 255/75/17's off epay for $380 plus $120 shipping on the old style BFG Mud KM's

bat

Explorer
With a tire max load of 3000lbs I would think it would be pretty stiff on the road for a JK

inked33

Adventurer
imo they would be way to stiff for a jeep, and overkill. on road they would ride very rough and as stated above you would have a very hard time getting the tire to flex without airing down to the point that you risk popping a bead alot.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have used E rated tires on a TJ.

They are a little stiff...the simple fix is to lower the air pressure.

On the street, I ended up with just over 30psi to get a good footprint, off road they ride fine at 17psi on the washboard/rutted roads, and work great at 10psi on the rocks.

I have never rolled one of the beads off of the seat, even at sub-10psi on technical trails, and have never lost a sidewall (C rated tires I used to run were constantly getting punctured...).

The biggest downside I have run into is that they are heavy (unsprung weight), and can prove difficult to balance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12