2 month trip around the west

XJINTX

Explorer
I'm in central Texas... Waco area 90 miles from Dallas and Austin about 130ish from San Antonio. You are welcome here and I am sure we could point you to a few good stops.

If you are looking for a full size bed and bath away from the trailer you are welcome to spare room and a hot meal too. We have plenty of space and place for vehicles. I'd be interested in first hand report of your travels 2 months on the road would be nice.

refried

Adventurer
On your way from BC to hyway 20 in Wa. get off the freeway just south of Bellingham and take Chuckanut drive south, It has great views of the San Juan Islands well worth checking out.
http://chuckanutdrive.com/entrance.html
While your in the area head west on 20 to Anacortes and maybe over to Deception Pass for more great views. Friday Harbor on San Juan Island is a nice day trip, Park your rig at the ferry landing in Anacortes and walk on the ferry (it's not worth driving on unless your spending a few days, the ferrys are expensive if your over 30' long and over 7'9" high $150.00+). You can spend the day wandering around the town and the ferry ride is very scenic.
Mount Baker is also nice, get off the freeway in Bellingham and head east on the Mt. Baker hyway, it's possible to take a trailer up the mountain road (exept the last few miles) but the road gets steep and has lots of switchbacks.

hoaxci5

Observer
around the San Diego area, you should head out to Borrego Springs, there is a ton of open desert space along with a pretty cool hike up to the Oasis which a lot of times you can see big horn sheep. Over in that area is a small town called
Julian which is known for it's apple pie. It's a cool old town place with lots of original buildings from the early gold mining days.

In Coronado, the Coronado brewing company is good for a craft beer and Diablo Shrimp (amazing!) or head up toward Solana Beach to Pamplemousse Grille, it's on the pricey side, but it's awesome food.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Such great ideas that we have decided to think a bit bigger.

This means that we will delay our trip to the spring, but also means we will expand the trip to include Nashville, Atlanta, Salt Lake City, and a few others.

And spring means spring skiing in Utah, Colorado, etc. :)

Not sure if it is feasible to pack my Mattracks but it would sure be cool to do some deep-snow cross country driving. I wonder if Yellowstone lets you take a 110 on tracks on the snowmobile trails?

I am thinking at least a 3 month trip now...maybe 4...

Ray

www.hylandadventures.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior