2001 Tacoma - Camper Options/Help?

WanderingBadger

Hey everyone! :D First time poster, I've wanted to get a camper or van of some sort for a long time, but I'm curious if I should eventually consider selling my Tacoma or just work on converting it? It's a 2001 Tacoma Crew Cab with a short bed (I'm thinking it might be possible to just remove it and just use an aluminum flat bed, similar to this recent post by A Restless Transplant?). Rear wheel drive, but my friend has been telling me to invest in converting it to 4-wheel drive which I would definitely do if I held on to this truck. I really love the camper options that Four Wheel gives, but I don't know if it would work with my set-up. This is something I would be "saving my pennies" for and I'm not super knowledgeable in this area yet, so any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance! :D

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
If you need/want 4wd, sell yours and buy one. I think everyone I have seen do the swap had said, next time they would just buy one. I have the flippac on the same set up as your truck and it works great. I used it all fall as a race support truck and it worked as well as a friends Vanagon with the added benefit of driving 70 mph or more to events. I leave it packed all the time - just add cloths and drinks.

021714podA.jpg

WanderingBadger

If you need/want 4wd, sell yours and buy one. I think everyone I have seen do the swap had said, next time they would just buy one. I have the flippac on the same set up as your truck and it works great. I used it all fall as a race support truck and it worked as well as a friends Vanagon with the added benefit of driving 70 mph or more to events. I leave it packed all the time - just add cloths and drinks.

View attachment 212956

Thanks for the response! I might not necessarily need 4wd, so we'll see. I was also looking at the "Finch" Model from Four Wheel Campers, any thoughts on differences between that and what you have? Your FlipPac looks like it would have more space for the sleeping area, which is a lot nicer. I'm just curious, would the FlipPac need extras for harsher weather, like snow?

EDIT: Do you have any pics of your inside set-up, so I can get kind of an idea of what I might do?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12