2002 montero limited rear end rumble/vibration over 50mph

I'm wondering if the rear CVs are either worn, or at too high of an angle, or are aftermarket
I've seen it discussed in a forum before and I cant find the thread that talked about it in detail, but the forum link I sent you in my previous post, one member mentions that same thread mentioning aftermarket axles not doing well with excessive angle and causing vibrations since aftermarket axles for the Montero/ Pajero are 3 bearing and stock is 6. So if it's lifted, it can contribute to the issue. My google search also shows several other cars going with aftermarket axles and experiencing vibrations, so I safely assume this can also be the case, especially if they look recently replaced.

You can see this aftermarket one is a 3 bearing
1708236918110.png

vs the Monteros looking something like this
1708237157672.png

Not saying this is the source of your issue but could be worth looking into. Start with the simple issues first (wheel balancing, alignment, hubcentric rings, cupped tires) then work towards the bigger/ harder ones (wheel bearings, axles, differential, etc.).

Thanks again for everyone's help. Pictures of the front CVs for good luck:

So...how much for those stock CV axles? 👀

Last edited:

spacecowboy7777

Try adding your diff and trans dampeners back in. This sounds resonance related...
I tried adding both back in, separately and together. The trans damper definitely added a different, rpm related vibe back. The rear axle damper might have reduced the consistency of this speed related rumble/vibe. Right now, running the truck with the rear axle damper installed but no trans damper.

spacecowboy7777

I've seen it discussed in a forum before and I cant find the thread that talked about it in detail, but the forum link I sent you in my previous post, one member mentions that same thread mentioning aftermarket axles not doing well with excessive angle and causing vibrations since aftermarket axles for the Montero/ Pajero are 3 bearing and stock is 6. So if it's lifted, it can contribute to the issue. My google search also shows several other cars going with aftermarket axles and experiencing vibrations, so I safely assume this can also be the case, especially if they look recently replaced.

You can see this aftermarket one is a 3 bearing
View attachment 820366

vs the Monteros looking something like this
View attachment 820367

Not saying this is the source of your issue but could be worth looking into. Start with the simple issues first (wheel balancing, alignment, hubcentric rings, cupped tires) then work towards the bigger/ harder ones (wheel bearings, axles, differential, etc.).

So...how much for those stock CV axles? 👀

I think you’re on to something here. The rear axles appear original, but I want to take the rear end apart and check each cv axle condition. I found an aftermarket cv axle that sounds like they use the rezepa style joint. I also see used axles on eBay for $120 each.

Additionally, I thought I heard a squeak or slight metal sliding sound coming from the rear end at slow speeds. Very faint. Sounded like wheel bearing, but could also be brakes dragging, or nothing at all.

Bottom line is, I need to jack up the rear end and dig in to see if I can find anything. These could be related or separate issues. It will take me a few weeks to get to this. Thank you all for your input

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior