2006 mega cab front drive shaft question

EuroJoe

Adventurer
Hi all, not sure if this is the best place to ask but I am looking for info on a knocking front drive shaft (I think)

I hear a knocking sound at low speeds from the front of the vehicle, up to speed the sound disappears, I'm guessing wind noise etc drowns it out.

I reached under while parked and could rotate the front drive shaft slightly, probably only a few degrees and simulate the sound. my brother said it might be a hardy spicer joint, but he hasn't seen the truck just my bad description (he lives in Scotland) He said to put it on full lock and drive off and listen, doing that I heard nothing, just in a straight line really

Anyway, does that sound right? should I be worried? and how big of a job is it to replace/repair?

Thanks, anyone in Maine got a driveway? :smiley_drive:

EuroJoe

Adventurer
Thanks I think I'll have to take it in, its only got 52,000 miles on it I feel it should survive longer than that!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
The CV joint in the front driveline would be my number 1 suspect. Its going to the joint at the transfercase end of the front driveline. Causes clunk and/or vibration when driving. I have replaced more than a few of them. Find out what the problem is first and then see if Dodge will cover any or all of the repairs. Most likely you will have to go above your local Dodge dealer and call corporate customer service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears