*price drop* 2009 Toyota 4Runner, Trekboxx, arb lockers/bumper, expedition ready, ($25,000) Oxnard, CA

4loco

Expedition ready 2009 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 for sale.
All work was done by me, except for gears, lockers, and transmission rebuild. A little about me: I’m a little OCD and my middle name is Mechanical Sympathy. When I took my 4Runner in for a transmission service, there was a little material in the transmission pan, the rebuilder said we’ll check it in a year and see what comes of it and “might need a rebuild”. I said rebuild it now (even thought it drove perfect and showed no signs of slipping). I only use Amsoil signature series oil and Wix or Amsoil filters, because I hate my money. I only use premium gas at known, reliable gas stations (Chevron or Costco at home and Conoco or Loves when traveling out of state), because I hate my money (And I swear I can tell the difference in pedal position when I’m driving due to the added timing the engine gains with higher octane fuel). I’m very mechanically inclined. I keep a write-in-the-rain notebook with all service records in the center console.
Vehicle history:
Purchased August 2011 w/6500mi, clean carfax, I’m the second owner. It’s a 3rd row model. I have not been in any accidents. Vehicle was used as a daily driver for 6 years and was mostly stock during that time. From 2017 on it started to grow larger tires, recovery equipment, etc, and it became a second vehicle and was used for Death Valley exploring and yearly trips to Colorado to visit family. 134,664 miles and growing slowly.

Front to back…
miscellaneous:
-Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/70r17 x5, 98% tread left.
-SCS F5 wheels matte black x5
-Kenwood DMX stereo with 1080p screen and wireless apple carplay and android auto.
-Cover King Rhinohide seat covers.
-3rd row jumper seats and seatbelts included with OEM hardware
Drivetrain:
-Fluidyne transmission cooler on custom brackets, lines up with air slot in arb bumper.
-stock, original radiator, water pump
-stock air box, engine completely stock, only OEM parts used, (spark plugs, air filter, serpentine belt, etc.)
- ARB front locker, Nitro 4.88, new bearings, Lucas conventional 85-140, ECGS built
-new front wheel bearings (Koyo)
-front driveshaft rebuilt with non greasable bearings
-transmission rebuilt by Donnie at DMC, includes ATRA warranty, Toyota fluid
-rear driveshaft rebuilt with non greasable bearings
-ARB rear locker, Nitro 4.88, new bearings, Lucas conventional 85-140, ECGS built
-new rear wheel bearings (Koyo)
Suspension:
-SPC UCAs
-front Icon 2.5 remote reservoir with CDC, 700lb coils custom tuned by Icon (provided them front axle weight)
- rear Icon 2.5 remote reservoir with CDC, icon overland coils, custom tuned by Icon (provided them rear axle weight)
Overland:
-ARB front bumper, warn VR10s winch
-Baja designs squadron pros, wide cornering in Slee bumper brackets
-Baja designs LP4 lights, combo,
-ARB dual air compressor with ARB tank and manifold with locker solenoids and air chuck
-arb snorkel (keeps air filter very clean, and lowers intake air temperatures)
-weather tech floor mats front and rear
*-Autohome Columbus medium, long tent
-67 designs ball mounts (x3), includes 1 67 designs arm and mag mount
-blue ridge overland gear driver seat back molle panel
-blue ridge overland gear attic
-Frontrunner roof rack rails custom bent by Frontrunner With 3 Frontrunner crossbars
-Baja designs dome lights mounted on roof rack for camp lights
-Frontrunner 2m awning
-Trekboxx System Alpha drawer system, with custom diy trekpak dividers
- 4x4 labs rear bumper with ladder, tire carrier, dual jerry can holder and Baja designs S2, flood, amber dust light
Electrical:
-Redundant start battery system, custom built by me: Utilizes 5th gen Slee battery bracket and BlueSea ML-ACR, dual odyssey 34r batteries. (Allows you to place aux battery in start battery position with no modifications, for true redundancy)
-DC Power 270amp alternator, been working flawlessly for 6 years.
-blue sea usb charge ports in cockpit, x3 (6ports total)
-USB pd, 60w port in center console
-Switch-Pros 9100
-drawer system power: breaker and 4g wire from aux battery, blue sea fuse panel.
-Victron 75/15 mppt solar charge controller.
-USB C pd 60w port on drawer system
-Switch-Pros controlled Dometic 12v power port for fridge
-extra ports and wires for future 12v accessories

Note:
1. Autohome Columbus tent, Dometic fridge, NOT included
2. Anything in pictures not permanently attached to vehicle NOT included: camp gear, stoves, etc
3. The paint on the hood is peeling and looks terrible, or adds character, however you feel. Add $1600 to price if you want me to have it repainted. Overall, paint is 7.5 out of 10. When waxed up it shines very nicely (besides hood).

Fridge and tent included. See updated post. 3/23/24

ASKING PRICE: 35,000obo

Asking $25,000 obo. Motivated to sell. See updated post. 4/19/23
4412C7F4-F7CE-483B-9C84-F0D7168C7893.jpeg

F09AA103-E53E-4950-81E0-7AF2A5922484.jpeg

74F439CF-F53E-44D1-BA98-B62BCBF5C084.jpeg

B5FA8CDA-E24B-4094-8298-BAD0927FC92A.jpeg

14F9FF8C-BB6B-4435-A0BA-9E2A7995A659.jpeg

6F469621-7FEC-424C-9572-469CEAD40CC6.jpeg

BE281213-497D-4017-9D69-431BA81A2720.jpeg

D68A668E-FB90-464C-948A-A1AFE7FBCF5B.jpeg

D3788794-4B85-4A3A-8A30-CA12C64C600C.jpeg

B9A458CA-ED0C-4CCE-AC25-721A6274289A.jpeg

Last edited:

4loco

redundant start battery system, air compressor and tank w/manifold, Switch-Pros, not pictured: voltage booster pro,

3B336678-EE3E-4D06-AC71-9107B6626292.jpeg

trans cooler with Russel push-lock hose and AN fittings.

B8DDA65B-CBC0-4C10-BE78-F8AF66C87437.jpeg

BROG gear: seat back and attic

7665E3D1-BB6E-49FB-B675-1DF62452BDF4.jpeg

4loco

Thank you, @shinyblackdeer. I really don’t want to sell because it’s so dialed in and have many awesome memories in it.

For anyone wondering, we are selling it because we want to move to a full size pickup as we begin to start our Family. I wish I could keep it!

If anyone has any questions or requests for more pictures let me know. Text eight oh five-4four4-2nine0six and I’ll send you what you need.

4loco

So, am I way off on price? I’ve seen 4Runners asking 26,000 that are bone stock with higher miles. Being a 4th gen, it’s probably a pretty niche market.
FYI, this vehicle isn’t listed anywhere else right now. I may post it on Instagram here soon.

fattycharged

So, am I way off on price? I’ve seen 4Runners asking 26,000 that are bone stock with higher miles. Being a 4th gen, it’s probably a pretty niche market.
FYI, this vehicle isn’t listed anywhere else right now. I may post it on Instagram here soon.
Just my .02c, but at your asking, I'd want everything shown in the photos, Autohomme, fridge, etc so it's turnkey...

Point being, when you list elsewhere, remove the items from photos that are not included.
Because....If it's not helping the sale, it's hurting it.

Everything used in the build is quality, it's still a great value imo for anyone looking for a built out 4th gen, but that market is very niche. Throw up a spreadsheet of what just the parts for the build would run today, that Trekkbox alone is probably $5-7k new

4loco

Back from the dead and updated:

4runner has just under 138,000 miles now and everything listed below is included (fridge, tent, etc.) I’ve also added replacement costs for reference.

Upgrades since original posting:
- Front Range Offroad 9.5 axle housing and diff with ARB/Nitro 4.88
- 5th gen 4runner brake swap w/ oem backing plates
- Apex Kwiklynx sway bar system, not installed.

Asking $27,000obo

What’s included:

PartPrice to replace:
-Autohome Columbus (M) with 2 NIB factory pillows$5254
-Frontrunner 2m awning$379
Icon 2.5 cdc, customer tuned by Icon$2096, $1282
SPC uca$695
Apex kwiklynx (not installed)$750
-custom Frontrunner load bars x3$550
-Dometic CFX 35 fridge$890
-@trekboxx drawer system (unbelievably convenient)$6195
-@frontrangeoffroad (Diamond) 9.5 rear axle$4800
-ARB lockers F/R, Nitro 4.88 gears$2525
-ARB dual compressor w/manifold and tank$884
-ARB remote diff breather.$82
-Redarc tow pro (never towed)$212
-5th gen Powerstop brake swap w/oem backing plates.$600
-dual battery system, Blue Sea ML-ACR$1000
-dual Odyssey group 34R batteries$768
-Victron solar charge controller$67
-Blue Sea fuse box for drawer power$29
-Switchpros 9100$659
-ARB Safari Armax snorkel$622
-ARB front, 4x4labs rear bumpers$1700, $4490
-Warn VR10s winch$800
-Baja Designs: LP4, Squadron pros, S2, Dome (camp lights)$875, $440, $190, $130
-custom Fluidyne trans cooler in stock location (-AN lines)$300
-Kenwood DMX957XR, wireless CarPlay/Andriod auto/1080p screen, solder connected and Tessa taped harness.$649
-USB A and C (60w) charge ports F/R.$100
Total (no labor):$40,013
IMG_2785.jpeg
IMG_2786.jpeg
IMG_2569.jpeg
IMG_2563.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2562.jpeg
    IMG_2562.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Mrbad

This build is so well thought out, everything you need and nothing you dont. I'm from the GX community and a lot of guys run the diamond axle, that thing is seriously beefy. GLWS, very fairly priced imo

When I lived in California the best deals were on the east coast. Now that I live in Florida the best deals are on the west coast. Life's not fair :cry:

GLWS OP, this will be a great buy for someone

4loco

This build is so well thought out, everything you need and nothing you dont. I'm from the GX community and a lot of guys run the diamond axle, that thing is seriously beefy. GLWS, very fairly priced imo
Thank you, I’d like to think so myself. Bummed to sell but need to move to full size truck. This vehicle represents 13 years of work! The Diamond Axle is pure beef!
Excellent work with your electrical accessories. Very clean cable management. My OCD approves :LOL:
Thank you. The places we go, our lives depend on this vehicle. I took great care with cable management and protection. Everything is over built and over protected. Thanks for noticing. I share your OCD tendencies!
When I lived in California the best deals were on the east coast. Now that I live in Florida the best deals are on the west coast. Life's not fair :cry:

GLWS OP, this will be a great buy for someone
I could always ship it. Or maybe a one way plane ticket is in order. 😂

ovʀʟxnᴅ

Despite the quality of the parts, the buyer with $27,000 cash is looking at something newer than a 2009 for modern tech and safety features.

Likewise, the buyer needing to borrow money will struggle to find an institution that will loan that much on a 15-year-old vehicle.

You put great parts into it, far more than the average person will ever appreciate, much less need. You're probably going to have to sell things piecemeal to get them to move.

Just my thoughts. Doesn't mean you don't have a great build on your hands. GLWS.

4loco

Despite the quality of the parts, the buyer with $27,000 cash is looking at something newer than a 2009 for modern tech and safety features.

Likewise, the buyer needing to borrow money will struggle to find an institution that will loan that much on a 15-year-old vehicle.

You put great parts into it, far more than the average person will ever appreciate, much less need. You're probably going to have to sell things piecemeal to get them to move.

Just my thoughts. Doesn't mean you don't have a great build on your hands. GLWS.
A stock 2016 4runner with 100,000 miles is comparable in price ($27,000 is the cheapest one near me.) 4th gen 4Runners come with basically the same safety features as 5th gens with the exception of a couple more air bags (knee, I think). In 2020 they got adaptive cruise and 2022, blind spot monitoring. The underpinnings are nearly identical. I’m about 12k above market [asking] price for a stock 4th gen V6 4runner with similar miles (nationwide search, this includes rust belt vehicles with Swiss cheese frames).

You may be right about financing. My bank used to finance vehicles 2016 and older with 150,000miles or less, now it’s 75,000miles as of recent.

The difficult part about that is everything is highly integrated. For example, the electrical system is basically part of the drawer system now, removing it wouldn’t gain me or the buyer anything. Same goes with the air system, dual batteries, rear axle, lockers, bumpers, etc. everything is designed to work together. The only removable items are the tent and fridge and I was told they should be included in the asking price.

Thank you for the compliments. I felt the need to respond so potential buyer can see the flip-side of this argument and some facts and numbers that go into my thinking. I have no ill will with you at all and I appreciate your perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior