*price drop* 2009 Toyota 4Runner, Trekboxx, arb lockers/bumper, expedition ready, ($25,000) Oxnard, CA

4loco

I love the Diamond axle on this thing! It is screaming to be driven to Chile!! GLWS!
Thank you! I love it too. I strongly believe V8 4Runners/GX470s were made full time 4wd to lessen the load on the rear 8” differential (and prevent people from having too much fun in RWD 😂). They are notoriously weak. Mines only a V6, but the added weight killed my first set of gears from ECGS, so after warranty I decided to get the Diamond and not have to worry anymore. I would love for someone to take this rig down south and live their best life!

extremer

If I didn't recently decide to put 7k into my 08 FJ and keep it I'd be looking hard at your rig. GLWS

Toyota 4Runner: Model Years that Are Best Buys​

• 2017-Present: Fifth-generation 4Runner
  • 2008-2009: Fourth-generation 4Runner
  • 1999-2000: Third-generation 4Runner
  • 1994-1995: Second-generation 4Runner w/ 2.4L I4
  • 1984-1985: First-generation 4Runner w/ 2.4L I4

ovʀʟxnᴅ

I felt the need to respond so potential buyer can see the flip-side of this argument and some facts and numbers that go into my thinking. I have no ill will with you at all and I appreciate your perspective.
I had no ill intent either. Just pondering through things with you. I'm glad you responded in kind!

Personally, from being in numerous forums and Facebook groups, I tend to forget what we buy and drive is atypical. When you're out on the road and you see what everyone else is driving, you realize you're doing something unusual.

Banks are built for regular people buying regular stuff. In this pastime, there's no such thing. And despite being in the same country, we all know CA dollars and MS dollars aren't the same thing, so that compounds the issue.

People who know more about money than I will ever know about any one thing refer to the sunk cost fallacy. What are your chances of beginning the next build without caring whether the 4R sells or sits in the driveway?

4loco

I had no ill intent either. Just pondering through things with you. I'm glad you responded in kind!

Personally, from being in numerous forums and Facebook groups, I tend to forget what we buy and drive is atypical. When you're out on the road and you see what everyone else is driving, you realize you're doing something unusual.

Banks are built for regular people buying regular stuff. In this pastime, there's no such thing. And despite being in the same country, we all know CA dollars and MS dollars aren't the same thing, so that compounds the issue.

People who know more about money than I will ever know about any one thing refer to the sunk cost fallacy. What are your chances of beginning the next build without caring whether the 4R sells or sits in the driveway?
lol. Very unusual! Everything about what we drive is so unpractical and not necessary. It’s really about convenience when trying to live out of a vehicle, which 99.999% don’t have to or want worry about.

If it were up to me, I would keep the 4runner and start the next build. But I am a “we” (married) and we think it would be best to have less vehicles overall and consolidate vehicle duties. And we are moving one step away from living “out” of a vehicle and moving a step closer to living “in” a vehicle.

velonut

This is really nice, well thought out "package" and seems very reasonably priced.

How is the V6 for fuel milage and how does it handle the extra load? I am sure the gearing helps.

Last edited:

4loco

This is really nice, well thought out "package" and seems very reasonably priced.

How is the V6 for fuel milage and how does it handle the extra load? I am sure the gearing helps.
Thank very much.

With the 4.88 gears the V6 has plenty of get-up and go (think toque multiplication of the gears). Unloaded it will probably chirp the tires on asphalt (I don’t know first hand because I don’t drive like that) and will absolutely fry the tires on dirt with traction control off. Additionally, freeway cruising at full weight (gear, full water tank, etc) is totally sufficient IF you consider the HP rating. It will maintain whatever speed you want at the cost of fuel. ~2500rpm @70.

I’m averaging 13.5mph around town, stop and go, almost no freeway driving.

Highway only (gas station to gas station), I’ve gotten 17.5mpg, but average 16mpg. I use cruise control, except for climbing grades, set at 70-75mph. Usually 70mph.

velonut

Thank very much.

With the 4.88 gears the V6 has plenty of get-up and go (think toque multiplication of the gears). Unloaded it will probably chirp the tires on asphalt (I don’t know first hand because I don’t drive like that) and will absolutely fry the tires on dirt with traction control off. Additionally, freeway cruising at full weight (gear, full water tank, etc) is totally sufficient IF you consider the HP rating. It will maintain whatever speed you want at the cost of fuel. ~2500rpm @70.

I’m averaging 13.5mph around town, stop and go, almost no freeway driving.

Highway only (gas station to gas station), I’ve gotten 17.5mpg, but average 16mpg. I use cruise control, except for climbing grades, set at 70-75mph. Usually 70mph.
Wow, those are pretty good numbers considering the load.

Although not in the market for a SUV style vehicle this seems like such a great deal given some other V8 Lexus / Toyotas listed recently for a lot more money. I wish it was a crew cab pickup with a long bed kitted out like this.

GLWS!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior