2011 Nissan Frontier SV Bowen Customs transformation

BruLew

Over the past 2+ years, I have been upgrading and converting my Frontier into a capable off-road vehicle my wife and I can live out of once we get to the other side of this work thing. Initially, we bought the Escapade camper (lifelong tent campers so this was a simple transition) and I built out every system including solar, 28-gallon water tank, awnings, lighting inside and out, quick connect propane to support Partners Steel stove/Propex/hot water, fridge, interior cabinets etc. We noticed that the stock suspension wasn't cutting it so installed the All Dogs Offroad Broverman leaf springs and Bilstein 5100's plus the UCA to handle the clearance. Method wheels, White Knuckle sliders, Hefty Fabworks aluminum bumper, Warn winch, upgraded stereo head unit and Scheel-Mann seats followed and still rolling on the Toyo H/T's until the rubber is worn enough to put on the A/T's or R/T Trails from Toyo.

After seeing the Bowen Customs bed last July, we realized that it was the foundational piece to what we want to do with the truck. We just picked it up and it was everything I expected...a game changer, for sure. Brent and team have been outstanding throughout the process and workmanship is top shelf. Our plan is to put a Hiatus topper on this, build out the interior, drop the trailer at home and be gone for a while!!

I just thought I'd share this with other fellow owners of the modification aftermarket stepchild vehicle, the Frontier!
20230702_193617.jpg20230702_205823.jpg20220416_082736.jpg

Last edited:

BruLew

Wow that looks great! Were you the first customer with a Frontier to get a Bowen bed? Any idea what the weight increase was over the factory bed?
I was the first and told that I will most likely will be the only. In the midsize truck, demand is coming from the Tacomas, Rangers and Colorado/Canyon so that will dictate production. I jumped on this early.

Typically, the weight difference is negligible although it might save me a few pounds because the Frontier has an all steel bed versus the Tacoma which is a composite.My usable bed length increased by 6" because the bumper is removed and the bed is extended to that point.

SLC Tortfeasor

Hey, just chiming in to say I love your build and I have similar plans. In other words, I'm currently thinking of getting a Hiatus, but leaning toward a full size truck to ensure I have the capacity we'll need. I am bummed about the tradeoffs that you have to accept with a full size truck, so I spend a lot of time hand-wringing about whether I could get by with a mid-size truck.

BruLew

Hey, just chiming in to say I love your build and I have similar plans. In other words, I'm currently thinking of getting a Hiatus, but leaning toward a full size truck to ensure I have the capacity we'll need. I am bummed about the tradeoffs that you have to accept with a full size truck, so I spend a lot of time hand-wringing about whether I could get by with a mid-size truck.
Thanks. As it's been said so often, there is no perfect set up so you just need to figure out what you want out of your travels. Right now, we like having the trailer because we can set up camp and take off however, we've been in situations when having it has been a pain in the butt. We are getting our Hiatus in April and look forward to being self contained. Same with mid-size vs full size...and beyond with 250's, 350's and bigger! Having our smaller truck and smaller payload means we have to pay attention to what we take with us and how we build out systems (how much water or what kind of fuel for heat, for example). Bigger would be nicer to bring everything but that's has its compromises, too. We will upgrade the suspension and brakes once the truck is fully built out so the load is supported properly and adjust from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior