A little love for 2002-2006 Montero

preacherman

Explorer
My insurance was cheap on mine. In fact my insurance went up when I sold it last month even though I did not buy anything else...something about a multi car discount.

I have always maintained they are the most under rated expo truck. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
RogerH said:
I became a Montero lover back in the mid 90's. I had always wanted a Land Rover but couldn't afford one as I was a student at the time. I came across an '89 2 door 5 speed with little miles on it and the owner was an engineering student from Japan that had to dump it as he was moving back to Japan. I paid only $3900 for it when the blue book was around $7000. I moved to Phoenix, Az in 2000 and drove it for 2 years without AC! The time came to go for that Land Rover I had always dreamed of and found a nice '98 Disco with 24k miles at the LR dealership. It had full warrantee! That same year my Dad bought a new 2002 Discovery. We were on the phone often talking about our new purchases! Sad to say it was a short lived romance with Land Rover. We both got rid of our LR after one year. So many issues to even list...vapor lock, electricals, oil leaks, gas mileage 10-12mpg?? His was brand new and the ACE, and other bells and whistles kept going out. Needless to say we both still like Land Rover and know that many owners have few problems.
This took me back to Mitsubishi. I love Toyotas, etc..but really like the uniqueness of having something a little different. I currently have a 2000 Montero (gen II.5--not current body style) with snorkle, ARB suspension, 32" BFG's (looking at getting 16" wheels and a taller tire), and various attachments. It will be turning 100,000 miles before years end and I have never had a leak, moan, squeek or hiccup with this truck! I get 24 mpg (short commute), have obtained a best of 26mpg on highway and also a worst 18mpg. I take out the back seats and it becomes a truck or camper. When this one dies I hope there will still be one around to replace it as I plan on driving this for many years! The local dealership in town (I am back in Colorado)say that there are 3 other Montero's in town with over 300,000 miles on them so I have a ways to go.
Thanks for letting me put in my 0.02:safari-rig:
Roger

Roger,

You have to post some pictures and start your own truck modification thread. I can't wait to see this one. This is probably on of the best year models of any Montero. I really miss my '94, but the later gen II trucks really had everything sorted out.

Did Mitsu offer the rear air locker for the 2000 in the US?

RttH

Hello, and yes I do believe they did offer a rear locker. Mine does not come with one. I think in 1999 and 2000 you could get the Endevour package which included rear locker, leather seats and a big sunroof, also adjustable shocks. Once I figure out how to post pics I will try to add them!

By the way I follow your threads closely as I like what you have done with yours.:bowdown:

Roger

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
RogerH said:
Hello, and yes I do believe they did offer a rear locker. Mine does not come with one. I think in 1999 and 2000 you could get the Endevour package which included rear locker, leather seats and a big sunroof, also adjustable shocks. Once I figure out how to post pics I will try to add them!

By the way I follow your threads closely as I like what you have done with yours.:bowdown:

Roger

Thank you for the compliment. I'm actually delinquent in getting the latest modifications added to my thread. :snorkel: :box:

Try this link...it explains photo uploading better than I can.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2376 This is for hosting you pictures elsewhere.

If you want to upload to ExPo and then post, just use the paperclip button and follow the files sizes shown in the window. I've attached a screenshot.

Photo Upload Window.JPG

RttH

I will attempt to post a pic. If it doesn't work I will have to get my wife to help as she is the picture guru! This pic is before my mods but I always liked it.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
I drove a second-generation TDI Montero all over East Timor. It was light and nimble, with everything that you need, nothing that you don't. The third-generation, however, by moving into a different niche left the 2-gen's niche empty while bumping into Toyota's LandCruiser and Nissan's Patrol. I'll take a second-gen, over the 3rd.

RttH

DropBox

Before snorkle,suspension, etc...

Last edited:

agerb

Observer
I have a 2003 Gen III Montero NP, truly the most dynamic vehicle out there. I had 2003 and sold it, went through a few different rigs (80 series, 2002 trooper, Syncro Vanagon) and have come back full circle to another low mile 2003. 2003 was a great year as it had all the upgrades over the 2001-2002 NM, but could still be had in the XLS trim. 2004 and up were only available in the fully loaded limited trim. Yes, it may not be a rubicon crawler, but it will fly through washboards and washouts better than anything out there. The reality is most adventures include alot of highway, gravel road, and washboards- here it has no rival in my opinion. The amount of cargo space for its size is only eclipsed by a vanagon. 190" overall length and 90 plus cubic feet of cargo- not including the huge in floor trunk you get after you remove the 3rd row. I am actually thinking about finding a low mile 06 and mothballing it until my 03 wears out. I am going to stop cheerleading for the Montero- dont want the demand to rise.

isaac

Observer
The updated 2nd gen Pajero is ALL over India these days. It's sort of the Indian Hummer, i.e. everyone who drives one is perceived to be a nouveau riche dickhead by everyone who doesn't drive one. I like it a lot.

1331b.jpg

I would happily buy one of these, as-is, for whatever Mitsu USA is charging for the newer 3rd gen versions. (The TDI version of which I have driven in the middle east, and enjoy a lot also.) But I cannot in clear conscience buy one here in India (I live in Hyderabad right now) as they cost about $50,000 USD and for this I could buy 10 nice Mahindra Willys +10 Royal Enfield Bullets. Maybe twice that number of vehicles, even, if I hire a local guy to do the buying and don't pay the melanin-derived premium price.

In general I am just flabbergasted how Mitsu USA has managed to NOT succeed, given their wonderful product line, and global scope.

Whoever has been managing that company the last 10-15 years has some explaining to do.

- Isaac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier