Generator and rain situations.....

LXRACR

Observer
Hello, I have a Honda 2000 watt inverter generator for use to recharge batteries, and run electronics while overlanding. What are some options if it is raining? I thought about putting it under the truck with an exhaust extension, a small tent, ? I do have a copper grounding stake as well. What have others done in bad weather? Thanks in advance.
PS- I know I will get a couple of "just don't use it", but I'm thinking about an extended situation, perhaps a survivalist type situation. Thanks.

adrenaline503

Explorer
Hang a tarp over it? Build a little folding peaked roof for it? As long as it isn't in a puddle and getting rained on it will be fine. Are you worried about the gas or electric side of it? A lot of contractors and the military use them in trailers all the time, those don't appear to be particularly water tight.

crazyjane

Observer
I agree with what he said. If you could also get a little 2ft square pallet to put it on would help get it off the ground. Military tactical generators have hard wiring with a pigtail for the main hook up and convenience receptacles to get juice from. The pigtail is hooked up inside the housing and it's sealed pretty well from the elements but the convenience receptacles are placed outside the housing for quick access not for permanent use. they are also always grounded with a copper ground wire and a 9ft copper rod.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Something we see a lot of here in Oregon is rain. I've used mine in the rain a number of times. If there's a table to put it under, that works good. But if there is nothing to cover it with it just gets rained on. It has never affected it or hurt it.

If you're insistent on covering it, find an old card table at a garage sale and make a waterproof top for it. Cheap and very effective.

JP

IH8RDS

Explorer
I let mine run out it the rain no problem. Heck I only use it when it rains (bad weather=power outages here). Its just a little Honda 1300.

bat

Explorer
I think a point is missing in this thread, water and elctricity do not mix. You may run the generator in the rain but did you no the neutral is bonded to the frame. Most generator have a landing lug on the frame for a external ground. I think first make sure you are GFCI protected on all outlets and second make sure you do not become the ground if something goes wrong.

86cj

Explorer
I am guilty of just letting it rain on my old Honda 3500. My buddy uses a new Honda EU3000 and he does the same. I don't leave it in the rain unless it's running and clean it after camping, suprisingly is 15 years old now and works fine. I do keep in mind the danger of shock, and could be just lucky. If it is raining and I still want to use the generator it must be a long muddy rain event and it's probably sunk down in the mud and grounded.

We don't use anything to cover generators, due to the possibility of whatever cover you use coming in contact with generator, causing a fire hazard or fumes to deflect under camper. We leave it unattended at times and just let it run out of fuel, when were at the infeild of a NASCAR race.

trail-explorer

Adventurer
I thought about building a little peaked roof frame thing out of some PVC pipe and fittings, sort of like a little little cabin with no walls or roof so to speak, then cover the roof and two sides with some tarp material.... maybe attach it with some velcro for easy removal.

no glue on all the fittings, that way it can be broken down for storage.

honda generator

My son owns an advertizing business where they put up hot air shaped balloons. He uses honda 2000 generators. The only thing he does in the rain is make sure the gen set does not sit in a puddle of water. he has run them for days in the rain. Never a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles