Out with the old/In with the new

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Outside: I killed all the chrome on the truck, gave it a butt lift.... switched out the dual spares for gerry can holder and single spare and went from 33's to 35's on Mojave Teflon 17" wheels. Also added a aluminess side ladder, quickfists shovel holder, 2m antenna and kayak mounts.

Inside: Installed Baja 540 GPS, Yaesu 2800M 2 meter, Installed new Pioneer touch screen with back up camera (camera already installed , radio crapped out 2nd day we bought the truck), tossed SPOT on the dash, installed paper towel holder etc etc.

Next will be adding a Fiamma Awning and next year will be full length roof rack and possibly new side step bars from Aluminess.

Attachments

• IMG_3031.JPG
    IMG_3031.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_3033.JPG
    IMG_3033.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3034.JPG
    IMG_3034.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3035.JPG
    IMG_3035.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3039.JPG
    IMG_3039.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3041.JPG
    IMG_3041.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3043.JPG
    IMG_3043.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

chop

Adventurer
Nicely done. These are fun vehicles with all the possibilities. Yours has the "it" factor goin' on.

kjp1969

Explorer
Sweet. Desert tan and black is quickly becoming my favorite color combination.

I did the quick-fist shovel thing too, but on one of the mounts I used a longish 1/4x20 bolt and two nuts, and sawed the head off and rounded the end. Then I drilled a hole in the shovel handle so that the shovel indexed to the mount. That way it couldn't "walk" sideways or rotate in the quickfist and contact the door. It's a quick and easy fix if that's a concern.

Last edited:

kjp1969

Explorer
slooowr6 said:
wow, you are moving FAST! :bowdown:
What is the side "porch" light you are using?

If I'm not mistaken that's a generic RV part. Its flimsy plastic and all of about $6 at Camping World, but looks right on the side of almost anything.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Thanks for the compliments guys. When you buy a used rig, you kind of want to make it your own.. so thats what im doing. The tan will work well in the desert we travel so much. We'll be almost stealth out there.

Yep, just the standard porch light for any RV... it came like that from Sportsmobile, i just took it off and painted it black because it was bright white. Yuck.

slooowr6

Explorer
I find that more than once I need a good side flood light when looking for a camp spot at night. I thought you change the porch light to a side flood light.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
If anything i'll change it out to LED (less bugs). Floods will go up on the roof rack once installed. I want to change all the interior lighting over to LED too, so the bugs stay away. The rig will also get a GOLIGHT that i can find a campsite with.

slooowr6

Explorer
SOCALFJ said:
If anything i'll change it out to LED (less bugs). Floods will go up on the roof rack once installed. I want to change all the interior lighting over to LED too, so the bugs stay away.

You can change the porch light cover to amber as a temp fix until you go all LEDs. Seeing your rig made me regret not going the Sportsmobile route...... :eek:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
slooowr6 said:
You can change the porch light cover to amber as a temp fix until you go all LEDs. Seeing your rig made me regret not going the Sportsmobile route...... :eek:

Grass is always greener dude... i wouldn't mind having something a tad smaller to fit on trails easier. The SMB is a monster.. especially the EB version. I do miss the size of my landcruiser.

RedDog

Explorer
Nice stuff. It's looking fantastic! Really well done. My cat and I could almost LIVE in a rig like that.

jdholder

Explorer
Great job! I really wish you were coming to the M&G in Pasadena as I want to see one of these things!

Also, you ain't seen BIG until you have seen my EXCURSION!! I make my own trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94