2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ITTOG

Were you able to look into the lake and see how clear the water was? I was told it was clear enough to see 40 ft but I have never been there. Supposedly a helicopter crashed into it and is 50 ft below the surface and you can see it from the surface.

Let me know if you have any questions about cool places in Oklahoma. Unfortunately it is a lot like Texas on there not being much public land but there are some cool things to see.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Were you able to look into the lake and see how clear the water was? I was told it was clear enough to see 40 ft but I have never been there. Supposedly a helicopter crashed into it and is 50 ft below the surface and you can see it from the surface.

Let me know if you have any questions about cool places in Oklahoma. Unfortunately it is a lot like Texas on there not being much public land but there are some cool things to see.

I didn't make any effort to see how clear it was although it looked like a nice lake overall. Maybe local scuba divers could share additional details - I can remember diving in areas we referred to at "blackwater dives" in the middle of the day with my compass pressed up against the front of my mask so we were able to navigate at 20-30 feet below the surface.

Any recommendations for cool places in Oklahoma?

I have had the chance to be inside a few dams in my day. Feeling the water behind it, is something else.

If you find yourself in the Gorge. Between Oregon and Washington, the Bonneville Dam lets you tour the power house, and its pretty cool. Both the Oregon and Washington side are worth checking out.

Thanks for the suggestion and I will make sure to stop in to tour the power house so I can learn the differences. The one I toured was not part of a dam so it will be interesting to see the similarities and differences. Thank you!

ramblinChet

Goodbye Texas and hello Oklahoma! After spending seven weeks in Texas where I enjoyed another Starship launch, relaxed at Padre Island National Seashore, and watched the total solar eclipse within the path of totality with friends on a cattle ranch, it was time to ramble on.

While passing through Chickasaw Nation I stopped at Fort Washita Historic Site and noticed this book: The Prairie Traveler. This historical book is "a hand-book for overland expeditions. With maps, illustrations, and itineraries of the principal routes between the Mississippi and the Pacific." For my second night in the Sooner State I found a spot to camp along Atoka Reservoir inside Choctaw Nation. The big name associated with the nearby towns of Atoka, Kiowa, and McAlester is Reba McEntire who most recognize as a famous country music singer. Reba even has a nice restaurant in Atoka named Reba's Place - next time I am passing through I will stop and try the chicken fried steak!
RC 24-027.jpg

Some may not realize that McAlester Army Ammunition Plant is in McAlester, Oklahoma are responsible for manufacturing the GBU-43/B MOAB (Mother Of All Bombs). This is the largest conventional weapon ever used in combat and produces a yield equivalent to a small tactical nuclear weapon.

The particular weapon has always been interesting to me since I was in the area when the first one was tested on Eglin AFB back in 2003. What few realize is that prior the "first test" that was publicly announced there was an identical test approximately one week earlier that was secret. By the way, those grid fins on the rear - a Russian invention, amazing. Yes, I am an aeronautics geek!
RC 24-028.jpg

Moving to the east I entered the Choctaw Nation - this is Tvshka Homma, which means "Red Warrior." The building was also the Choctaw Capitol building until 1907 when the Tribal government was dissolved and the Federal government took control. All bricks were manufactured on site using clay from nearby. The sandstone sills were also from the area as was all wood used.
RC 24-029.jpg

This is the Tribal Court where I sat for some time trying to imagine what historical discussions, debates, and decisions, took place here. I love visiting historic places such as this and just relaxing trying to imagine what took place in the past. Upstairs is the Choctaw Nation Museum and the section I enjoyed the most featured the "code talkers" of WWI and WWII.
RC 24-030.jpg

Here I am camped beside Nanih Waiya Lake in the Choctaw Nation preparing for my next overland adventure. This lake was named after a sacred location in Mississippi called Inholitopa iski, or "mother mound," where some believe the first Choctaw was born into this world. Nanih Waiya was also the name of their first capitol in Indian Territory after being forced to move from Mississippi to current day Oklahoma in 1838. There's so much history everywhere I go an I just love learning about everything.

My next adventure will begin in Oklahoma and end in central Arkansas - I will spend much time in the mountains alone 'cause I'm an Indian outlaw...
RC 24-031.jpg

Last edited:

ITTOG

Based on your last sentence I assume you are going to do the Talimena drive. The best time of year is in the fall but it should be pretty now as well. You are near Broken Bow Lake. The lake is amazing and lots to explore around there. There is a great camping spot called eagles nest sitting a couple hundred feet above the north end of the lake. There is only one spot so you are alone. Lots of forest service roads in the area. Fly fishing, hiking, and canoeing as well. Hochatown is a neat place to explore.

A little north of Ardmore is Turner falls. Beautiful waterfall and some homemade fried pies. Arbuckle Wilderness is there. It is kind of a dump but the animals are fun and hungry.

Black Mesa Summit/Park is way out west in the panhandle.

Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge in SW Oklahoma

Pensacoal Dam in NE Oklahoma - Pensacola Dam is claimed to be the longest multiple arch dam in the world, its main span consisting of 51 arches totaling 5,145 feet (1,568 m) in length, and supporting a walkway and State Highway 28, a narrow two-lane highway. A 120 megawatt, 6-unit powerhouse sits at the west end, with 21 spillways on the east end. You can take a tour of the dam. Below the dam they have huge rock crawling events. The lake is nice as well.

Salt Flats in Jet, OK

Heavener Runestone Park - believed to be the southernmost point in NA that Vikings visited/lived.

Robbers Cave - bandits would hide out hear in the wild west

Lets not forget the worlds tallest hill, Cavanal Hill. Located in Poteau, Cavanal Hill is known as the “world’s highest hill.” Clocking in at 1,999 feet, it’s one foot shy of being able to be classified as a mountain. The road to reach the summit is a scenic drive that’ll take about 30-40 minutes, and once you reach the top you’ll have an extraordinary view of the Poteau River Valley below.

More info at https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/oklahoma/mountains-in-ok/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior