Any experience with Phoenix pop up campers

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I bought one in 1990. $4500. Short bed. The layout is typical. The cheap side was the paneling walls around the cabinets. It has been from Alaska to south Mexico. The roof did start leaking after the warrenty ran out. I hope they use a differannt roof structure not 1 x 4 wood. All said and done. It was a great purchase. I lived semi-full time out of it as a float paramedic for a rural ambulance service. I stayed in the camper every night instead of the station. I had all my own stuff there. I did not have to share with 20 people. Check out the workmenship before yuo buy. I bought site unseen from Loiusiana. I would have checked around if I would have seen how cheap they were made. Check out other brands.

soreyes

2002 Phoenix Little Chief

Hi,

I just bought a used one on monday. It is on my 94 nissan hardbody 4cyl 4wd. I am posting here because in my research, I was not able to find much information about the phoenix camper. As I learn more about it I will be able to share more info.

At first, I wasn't sure of the hangover tailgate look, but once I got in there and started moving gear over from my vanagon popup, I realized I was happy for the extra space.

First Thoughts:
-I like the underbed storage, It swallows stuff up.
-I like that I can eave the bed made and it still pops down
-the water heater unit takes up a ton of space, but maybe I will be happy with it someday in the cold
-wondering how well the battery will last with the heater fan
-Helpful access panels to the front of the wheel well bed cavity
-the plastic connectors on the pop top mechanism seem destined to break
-it's heavy for my truck at 1200 pounds dry (ordered some airbags)

Here are some introductory photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soreyes/sets/72157620258506825/

3654607402_d46140780a.jpg

3653810049_2af096b8cb.jpg

18seeds

Explorer
I was considering one a while back. I would be VERY careful with any used Phoenix/Coyote Camper. They are proned to leaking and need to be resealed at least once a year. I've heard recently that they are using a different type of closed cell foam in the pop up material that prevents the "stained" look when water dries.

My reseach did not turn anything up that positive. I found plenty of posts on RV.net about the construction.

I visited the Phoenix factory a few years ago. The price is right although I have never seen a good looking Used Phoenix camper. They wear pretty quickly.

I also spoke with Rob the owner about used Phoenix campers and he was very little help.

I beleive Marc (XP Camper) can give you some thoughts

soreyes

The previous owner mentioned that he resealed things about once a year. I was a bit surprised, but now that I have read your post, i am going to keep up with that. When he showed me the seams on the tent, I thought he was talking about tent seam sealer. He corrected me and said he used latex clear caulk and just peels the old stuff off.

Hopefully, I will be able to keep it dry and happy. I have a lot of fir trees around my parking areas, so I will keep it under a tarp most of the time.

Thanks for the advice. I had trouble finding out much about these before I bought it.

18seeds

Explorer
One more thing. I did contact Rob recently about a custom camper I've had on my mind for a while. He was very helpful and informative.

JasonEsher

I had one, They do leak up front towards the bed.

I only paid like $1500 for mine. It was an older, maybe early 90's model. I liked the layout and everything worked.

It was great for us.

coho51

I bought one a couple years ago for my Tacoma, the first year it leaked but I found where it was leaking from (the vents) and chauked them and I have since used it in some of the worst weather (bad rain & snow) and it has kept me dry and warm through all of it. I think it's a '73' and I have used it often. I guess I got a good one. The only thing I don't like about it is it's heavy, I can't find anything about weight.

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-tech/maintenance/ask-the-expert-maintaining-camper-seals/
Annual sealing and more frequent inspecting is the norm.

subterran

Adventurer
I have one. I am really happy with mine. We paid $1800. I do have to keep up with the sealing, but I have figured out a system. I resealed the whole thing with acrylic-based blackjack roof seal, and I just keep an eye out for cracks in the seal. If I spot one, I have some acrylic sealer in a tube (same formula as above) so I just squirt out what I need and smooth it down with a wet finger, and go on with my day. It only takes a minute, and I don't leak. Really, keeping up with sealing is second nature to me now. Having to keep up with sealing and various tinkering is not a deal breaker in my opinion. Check out my thread in my sig to see what I've done - more details there.

Runt

Adventurer
I have owned two :

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...venture-Mobile?highlight=FSR+Adventure+mobile

The one on my Tundra now has been on it since 2013 with over 100,000 km on rough forest service roads in northern B.C. I don't take it off as I use it year round and spend easily over a hundred nights in it per year and often in -30 C weather in the winter. Great campers! After purchase support has been excellent as was the purchase. Getting exactly what you need in these campers is the biggest advantage over other makers such as Four Wheel Campers etc. Highly recommend buying one.

Montanajed

My wife and i lived out of our Phoenix for 2 years as we drove from Wyoming to Argentina. We beat the crap out of it everyday. 4 years latter we still use it about every weekend during the non winter months to go 4 wheeling . Just spent the week in it hunting at 9000 feet in Montana in the rain and snow. Kept me warm and dry the whole time. Never had a leak or a problem all these years and we actually wheel the hell out of it. Can't recommend them enough!
adventureamericas@wordpress.com

bigskypylot

Explorer
My wife and i lived out of our Phoenix for 2 years as we drove from Wyoming to Argentina. We beat the crap out of it everyday. 4 years latter we still use it about every weekend during the non winter months to go 4 wheeling . Just spent the week in it hunting at 9000 feet in Montana in the rain and snow. Kept me warm and dry the whole time. Never had a leak or a problem all these years and we actually wheel the hell out of it. Can't recommend them enough!
adventureamericas@wordpress.com

Where abouts in Montana are ya?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke