All Terrain Warriors campers

haven

Expedition Leader
Edit: The camper pictured below was constructed by All Terrain Warriors for Kym Bolton.

Here's the camper crossing a bridge in Siberia

earth-cruiser-1.jpg

Here's the camper with the top raised on the Russian steppe

earth-cruiser-2.jpg

Chip Haven

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Chip, How's SEMA?

To test the new vehicle, Kym will use it on an expedition across central Australia's Simpson Desert in April 2009.

I'm sure it will be great. The "the prototype" that we built in '05/'06 used virtually every existing component from our previous motorhomes and tour buses. Flexible body mounting system, cab/body interface, dual shock mounts, bullbars, extra long leaf spring packs, body profile matching the cab, solar laminate system, fiberglass panels, etc, etc, etc.

The truck in the pic below which was built in '03 certaily did. It has done 4 serious GPS desert crossings so far, 2 with the first owner and the present owner has just completed his second. He was raving about the great fuel consumption and the performance in sand. He guessed some of the dunes to be up to 100 metres high. A Nissan Patrol and a Landcruiser tried to tag along and he spent a lot of time winching them up and over whereas the FG never faulted. So yeah if they use the "prototype??" as a bench mark I'm sure it will be great in the desert.

4330137284_d046fb3b2d_o.jpg

4329404429_b78c0f6abd_o.jpg

I am hoping for some fresh pics. I think you have seen these.

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
whatcharterboat said:
I am hoping for some fresh pics. I think you have seen these.

Personally, I never get tired of looking at that truck :)

One of my hesitations on the cab-over-based rig is that I want to be able to stand up from the front seats and walk back into the camper box.

IIRC you do a full-sized cut-out of the back of the cab, but how well does that work with the engine in the way?

Have you posted any pix of the area in question?

Another thing I'd like to be able to do is swivel the front seats around so that they can be used as part of the 'living space'. In your experience, do you think that would be possible/practical? I know I've read some posts on here about difficulties fitting aftermarket seats, so I get the impression that there isn’t a whole lot of extra space for swivel-seats…

whatcharterboat

Lynn

Personally, I never get tired of looking at that truck

Hi Lynn, How are ya? I still can't get over the WOT truck pic you posted a month back. Pure ugly but in a good way. Haha.

One of my hesitations on the cab-over-based rig is that I want to be able to stand up from the front seats and walk back into the camper box.

I like the layout of this FG because every thing is on one level with only a small hump over the engine and the seats can swivel around to form part of the living space when you are camped up. I still talk to the owner regularly and I know he wouldn't consider anything other than a full bodied camper. Of course we have been discussing the pros and cons of different layout, engine access , etc, recently in other threads.

2960899299_f365ce7423.jpg

And the view aft.

4329476951_8fa2eff5e0.jpg

IIRC you do a full-sized cut-out of the back of the cab, but how well does that work with the engine in the way?Have you posted any pix of the area in question?

Here's a couple so that you can get an idea of the size of the cutout. The tour buses normally have the back of the cab cut out but with the motorhome we also cut out the roof and replace it with our own molding and the the wind deflector goes over that. The cutout ends up being about 4' high. One of the early build pics of the grey /blue truck you like shows one of the guys climbing out so it gives you an idea of size. He's about 6'.

4329404009_8604d848af_o.jpg

When you take the seats out and put aftermarket suspension seats in the engine cover is quite low. Often a centre console ends up there but it's still an easy step through into the back. The bottom pic is actually an Isuzu NPS (very similar to an FG) tour bus with a small drink fridge in between the seats, but it gives you a good idea of the cutout as well.

I threw in some more testing pics too. I'd still like some fresh ones cause the new owner gets pretty serious with it.

4330136236_d361bb7ed6.jpg

4330138790_31b50310a5_o.jpg

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Another thing I'd like to be able to do is swivel the front seats around so that they can be used as part of the 'living space'. In your experience, do you think that would be possible/practical? I know I've read some posts on here about difficulties fitting aftermarket seats, so I get the impression that there isn't a whole lot of extra space for swivel-seats…

Can't do it with the FG cab. Just doesn't work. The cab lock-down linkages run to high above the motor at the back of the cab. You might be able to see that in one of the pics. Fitting suspension seats is a common mod , but you're right Lynn swivel seats just would'nt be possible. As for being practical ? Of course it would be awesome . See the first pic again. That's an FG cab that has been cut off at the top of the dashboard and right where your feet go.

BTW on that green truck, the whole body including what was left of the original cab was flexibly mounted on the chassis. It's loaded with a lot more gear but is more economical due to the streamlined shape and virtually as good offroad. I want one of these. Haha.

4329436643_2725750f02.jpg

4330179730_9784ea1658.jpg

Thanks Lynn.

Last edited:

Mickldo

Adventurer
To start off I have no affiliation to All Terrain Warriors. I met John on ExPo here just like the rest of you. I was fortunate enough to be given a tour of the workshop by John one Saturday morning.

All I can say is that the Campers are even better in the flesh than in the photos. After talking to John and his boss/ owner of the business I discovered they are a very knowledgeable firm that build top quality rigs.

Even though I can't afford to buy one of their campers and have to settle for building my own it doesn't stop me putting one of their campers at the top of my "When I win Lotto" wishlist.

whatcharterboat

Lotto win > Wouldn't it be nice?

Is this the "new era for drinking" in Austraila I've been reading about?

Dave. You'll keep. Lol. Anyway you wouldn't even need a fridge where you live. Just put a glove on to avoid the frostbite and hold the can of beer out the window for a minute while you're cruising up the road.

Seriously, that was shot inside a "rainforest" tour bus based in Far North Queensland. Thirsty country.

it doesn't stop me putting one of their campers at the top of my "When I win Lotto" wishlist.

Mick. Thanks. Actually I've got a 6metre centre-console Platemaster on my "When I win Lotto" wishlist and I've seen a lot of good boats in my time (and one of our campers).

whatcharterboat

Hi Guys . I said awhile ago that as soo as our pop top was close to ready I'd make sure ExPo would see it first. So having only just rolled it out of the workshop today and with a few days of detailing and fine tuning to go(and a screen door and awning to fit), here it is.

I'll post some interior shots up soon if you want and if we get it out in the bush for a photo shoot before delivery maybe some of those too. It'll be on our website soon so all the details will be there but basically this one is for up to 5 persons in that it is seat belted for 5 passengers and has a permanent double bed (accross) with a folding double bed above (lengthways) and the table folds down for another (accross). As you can see the step is electric as is the lift for the roof. Access is really easy , only have to duck a little through the doorway or the rear of the cab has a full cutaway.

I don't mind answering any q's about it but I really wanted you guys to see it first. It is still very much a custom vehicle and the options will be endless. If you guys in North America haven't seen one of these , it is an '08 Isuzu NPS 300 4x4 (Euro IV spec) with electric 4x4 controls and this one has the Isuzu camera/navigation option/package.

3119383203_dc3602bd5a.jpg

3120209452_0816573572.jpg

3120217086_fea085c56e.jpg

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Nah , You can just see me sitting down at the far left of the pic. And really I've got my head in the factory fuse panel , soldering wires and I have the workshop manual opened up at the page that says "In Case of Emergency".

Don't ask.

boblynch

Adventurer
Very nice work. I really like the new door and the other well-heeled accessories. More pics and dimensions please.

Bob

Lynn

Expedition Leader
whatcharterboat said:
Nah , You can just see me sitting down at the far left of the pic. And really I've got my head in the factory fuse panel , soldering wires and I have the workshop manual opened up at the page that says "In Case of Emergency".

Don't ask.

Glad you brought that detail to our attention. I had a hard time seeing the truck in that particular pic., let alone you sitting there...

Nothing personal. :)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
boblynch said:
...I really like the ... well-heeled accessories. More pics and dimensions please.

Dimensions, but not weight. A gentleman never asks.

Sorry. Just had to...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles