1st Motorcyle, Expo based

Hayduke950

Observer
jl8088 said:
Lake%20Morena%2011-8-08%20034.JPG

Mind if I ask what type of bike carrier that is on your Trooper? I carry an XR400 on my 95 Trooper (OME suspension), but I'd like to get a double bike carrier so I can take the wife's XT225 and leave the trailer at home.

jl8088

Adventurer
Hayduke950 said:
Mind if I ask what type of bike carrier that is on your Trooper? I carry an XR400 on my 95 Trooper (OME suspension), but I'd like to get a double bike carrier so I can take the wife's XT225 and leave the trailer at home.

The dual bike rack is a "joe hauler". I bet I'm at the limit of the class 3 hitch tongue weight of 500-600lbs. Seems to work fine though. I've also carried my XR650R and a "wife's bike" on the rack, keeping the heavier bike closer to the truck.

jl8088

Adventurer
After researching the "necessary" modifications, i've completed the following:

Honda re-jet kit and removal of all the restrictive smog stuff
4.3 gallon tank
aluminum reinforced brush guards
rear rack
extra wide foot pegs
new triple clamp and handlebar
RAM mount for GPS
Desert tire (non-DOT)

Here is a photo from last weekend at Ocotillo Wells OHV area. The place is straight out of a mad max movie. Photo taken south of the shell reef area. The bike runs like a banshee. It will take years for me to get comfortable with the power. Years of fun that is.
IMG_2051.JPG

jesusgatos

Explorer
Great choice. Don't think there's a better platform for an off-road oriented ADV-type bike. Love mine.

XR650R_19_03.jpg

The best part of the deal is that the bike only had a total of 31 miles on it!!!!!!!!
You do know the resettable odometers roll over at 100 miles, riiiiight?

jl8088

Adventurer
Great choice. Don't think there's a better platform for an off-road oriented ADV-type bike. Love mine.

You do know the resettable odometers roll over at 100 miles, riiiiight?

Nice bike, you did a CRF front fork conversion? How do you like it? Is that a 15 tooth front sprocket? Can you cruise at 70mph pretty easily with that ?

The BRP is my first bike, it is a 2002 and was showroom condition (seriously) when i bought it two years ago. Still had the all the hairs on the front & rear knobby and not a speck of dust! I'm still growing into it a fist-full at a time.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Yeah, that's a late-model CRF frontend. It's OK. Probably not worth the trouble/expense. That's actually a 16T countershaft sprocket, and allows me to cruise a liiiiiiittle bit faster than 80mph. Haha. I've got two wheelsets. On that 18/19" street wheelset I run a 46T rear sprocket. Perfect for hwy cruising. On my 18/21" dirt wheelset, I run a 48T rear sprocket. I use a 15T countershaft sprocket for dualsport rides, and a 14T countershaft sprocket for more technical trailrides. Covers just about every conceivable gearing scenario, and they all work with the stock-length chain.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior