1st Motorcyle, Expo based

jl8088

Adventurer
After debating on a model for about 3 years and actually scoping the market for the last 6 month, i purchased my 1st motorcycle.

It is a 2003 Honda XR650R with a California Plate (bike was not street legal from the factory)

The best part of the deal is that the bike only had a total of 31 miles on it!!!!!!!! They guy who sold it never rode it and it didn't have one speck of dust or dirt on the bike, the plate was never even installed. It even had the little hair sized knobbies on the knobbies!

After sweating some bullets at the DMV i got my registration and new title in the mail last week.

Looking forward to doing some rapid expos of some local trails like the mojave road, Big Bear loops, etc.

btggraphix

Observer
expeditionswest said:
That bike is a legend. Nice choice.

Indeed it is. After having 600's for a long long time, I finally bought my first new bike ever when the 650 came out. A worthy sucessor to the legendary 600.

Congrats on the bike; there are some standard things to do to make it run a whole lot better if you are interested....opening up the intake (manifold and airbox/filter) rejetting the carb, and getting an aftermarket pipe (lots to choose from, some even reasonably quiet) to end up with a lot more powerful bike. But what a great starting base. Also note that the stock spring was setup for a something like 170 pound rider. Most XR650R riders are a lot bigger than that, so if you fit into the larger category, you might want to get a stronger spring. I just finally put one on after about 7 years of ownership, and can't wait to try it out this weekend in Moab.

btggraphix

Observer
cnskate said:
How does that bike compare to a KLR 650 in terms of street/trail ability?

IMO, the KLR650 is not even in the same league as the XR650R as far as the trail is concerned, similar to the XR650L. But on the street I am sure it is a different thing....the extra weight and setup on a KLR and XRL will make long distance rides on highways a lot more comfortable. Riding on the interstate with wind, and semi's, is not very pleasant on an XR650R....especially when geared down like I usually do for trail-ability. The stock gears are better for the road of course. So for an "expedition" sort of bike, loaded down with gear, long long distances, an XR650R might not be the ideal choice.....but for hard core +/- some longer distance rides including lots of trail, it is a great great bike.

jl8088

Adventurer
"How does that bike compare to a KLR 650 in terms of street/trail ability?"

Pretty much what was said above. Simply put, the KLR is better suited for the pavement, but can handle the dirt. The XR is better suited for the dirt, but can handle pavement.

I'll post some photos when i get home from work.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The XR650R was designed and built to do 80mph down a baja back road....with a bit of tarmac in between....

Excellent bike! Can't wait to see some pics!

-H-

jl8088

Adventurer
sorry, but i don't even have a photo of the bike alone yet. Here is the first test ride at Lake Morena OHV area outside SD.

Lake%20Morena%2011-8-08%20035.JPG

Lake%20Morena%2011-8-08%20034.JPG

Last edited:

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
congrats, just put a deposit on one myself, its a 95 XR650R thats got lots o' goodies, and already setup for my weight. I plan on using it for work (live 1.5 miles at most away, all side streets) and weekend outings. selling my daughters car and giving her my Tacoma, will ride with the wife on rainy days (she works .5 miles past my work) and will use funds from that car sale toward more bikes for the family. The F250 will be our bike hauler & Expo rig, this is gonna be fun.

Last edited:

btggraphix

Observer
RocKrawler said:
congrats, just put a deposit on one myself, its a 95 XR650R thats got lots o' goodies, and already setup for my weight. I plan on using it for work (live 1.5 miles at most away, all side streets) and weekend outings. selling my daughters car and giving her my Tacoma, will ride with the wife on rainy days (she works .5 miles past my work) and will use funds from that car sale toward more bikes for the family. The F250 will be our bike hauler & Expo rig, this is gonna be fun.

They didn't start making the 650R until 2000. They did start making the XR650L sometime before that....but it's a different bike (air cooled....more like a slightly larger 600 engine. Great plan though for riding to work. I was thinking about using my older XR600 to ride to work when gas was so high, but it's 42 miles each way, and mostly major highway. Geared down the way it is, it isn't fun trying to ride it at 60-65 while commuter traffic is going a lot faster.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
btggraphix said:
They didn't start making the 650R until 2000. They did start making the XR650L sometime before that....but it's a different bike (air cooled....more like a slightly larger 600 engine. Great plan though for riding to work. I was thinking about using my older XR600 to ride to work when gas was so high, but it's 42 miles each way, and mostly major highway. Geared down the way it is, it isn't fun trying to ride it at 60-65 while commuter traffic is going a lot faster.
My bad, it is a 600R... had a 92 some time ago but it had issues - by the time it finally started my leg was 6" larger diameter than the other and my foot was numb. This one just got $1100 worth of service & upgrades, and has new parts (skids, shark fin) that arent even installed yet plus the Baja designs kit & street reg's with a plate. Cant wait!

btggraphix

Observer
RocKrawler said:
My bad, it is a 600R... had a 92 some time ago but it had issues - by the time it finally started my leg was 6" larger diameter than the other and my foot was numb.

I understand :) After tearing my MCL and ACL both, though apparently slight enough to not require surgery.....I was reminded of just how much of a PITA starting even a well tuned XR650R is. When you can't support the weight of the whole bike and you with your left foot on the ground, it makes it really hard to jump, start it, and then land without....collapsing or tearing the *CL's again worse. The rest of that group all had E-starts, and I have to admit, I am again thinking about that nearly $1K and 19 pound addition of an E-start to my 650. We'll see. Congrats on the bike too, sounds great. I also have an older 600 (1987) that I just couldn't give up after I got my 650.....I ended up stripping it down to the frame, powder coating it, and putting it all back together. Spent more than the whole thing is worth....but I enjoyed the work....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles