Problem with my 07 Nissan Xterra Off Road

07OffRoadXterra

Hi Everyone - I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but hoping some car mechanic or expert might have some advice.

I have a 07 Nissan Xterra Off Road (bought brand new April 07) that I have LOVED until about a month ago. It has 15k miles on it. It has been garaged every night since I bought it and I drive it mostly local city driving (minimal highway) It was in my garage unused for a period of 8 days when I had surgery and then I resumed using it. I believe that is when I first started hearing this sound.

Does anyone know the sound when you're sitting at a red light and a car with a loud bass tube pulls up next to you and there's a low vibration/very deep hum sound that hurts your ears? Well, my Xterra is making that exact sound when I'm idling (when I'm stopped or barely moving) It's even more enhanced when I'm in drive and am stopped. It gets louder and softer but is mostly just incredibly annoying and hurts my ears and that of my children.

My first time bringing it in to be looked at they said "I know what the problem is" and proceeded to hook it up to a computer (inside the car) and reset the idle. That brought it back to a normal sound...until I drove away and the first light i stopped at it started making the sound again.

The mechanic at Nissan said "i know what it is" and proceeded to replace the intake collector. That did nothing to fix this problem.

Third time they put it on the lift and checked everything and said they couldnt figure out what it could be.

I now have Nissan corporate involved but I would really love to find out what this could be if anyone has any ideas for me because I really was enjoying this car and now i dread driving it and the headache that I get every time and the fussing of the kids due to the awful low pitch hum/vibration.

Thanks in advance

fowldarr

Explorer
I might know the answer

My wife has an 05 Nissan Quest, we had the exact same issue, and there were several trips to the dealer to find the issue. After replacing a bunch of stuff (under warranty thankfully) it turned out to be an exhaust hanger that had broken loose from the frame, and it was causing a low level humming/vibration throughout the entire vehicle, especially at certain RPM ranges while accellerating from stoplights.

07OffRoadXterra

fowldarr said:
My wife has an 05 Nissan Quest, we had the exact same issue, and there were several trips to the dealer to find the issue. After replacing a bunch of stuff (under warranty thankfully) it turned out to be an exhaust hanger that had broken loose from the frame, and it was causing a low level humming/vibration throughout the entire vehicle, especially at certain RPM ranges while accellerating from stoplights.

OH MY GOD! THank you for this. I will contact the dealer in the morning. I did ask them to thoroughly check the exhaust system but they just "eyed" it i think. I will have them check this!

Creek

Adventurer
I would also check all of your skid plate bolts - if you have the OR model. A loose one of those can cause the same kind of sound. If you were in CO, i'd tell you to swing by and I'd take a look/listen...but, you're all the way over there (J! E! T! S! ;))

Creek

Adventurer
yeah, there's been server/host issues over the last month or 3. Supposedly, there's a new host in the works. Until then though, there will be outages. But, it's back up now...

4hilux

Observer
07OffRoadXterra said:
woman you mean :) woman with 2 little kids actually :)

Without photo evidence - you realise this is only a rumour ........;) :)

Found the problem with your Nissan yet??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12