Problem with my 07 Nissan Xterra Off Road

madizell

Explorer
Hard to say what the extra expense might be. My guess would be negligible. More like a point of perspective. Here you have a relatively new vehicle with an annoying noise, which admittedly it should not have. No one argues that the noise is normal. So, why can't it be remedied? Turning up the idle is not the fix, even if the original idle speed was below stock specs.

Resonance, harmonics, vibration, whatever. A rose by any other name... It doesn't make the noise when the engine is off, and does when it is idling. The engine is the source of the vibration, and some part of the vehicle is resonating to that vibration. Nissan can get as technical as it wants about the terms and descriptives, but the bottom line is that it is not supposed to do that, and they should make a good faith effort to remedy the problem. Unless, of course, they want to claim that whatever the noise is, it is not covered by warranty. Once they make that claim, contact an attorney.

The most likely culprit, assuming the noise is under the vehicle, is the exhaust, including something inside either the cat or the muffler. Second most likely are skid plates. Next most likely would be something that is touching the drive line that should not be. Isolating the sound should not be all that difficult if it makes the sound while parked at idle.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
07OffRoadXterra said:
Whats a NOR sticker?

Wanna dees...
0318081120.jpg

That's a site that I co-own with a couple of 'Ssaners.

SGV

Adventurer
fowldarr said:
My wife has an 05 Nissan Quest, we had the exact same issue, and there were several trips to the dealer to find the issue. After replacing a bunch of stuff (under warranty thankfully) it turned out to be an exhaust hanger that had broken loose from the frame, and it was causing a low level humming/vibration throughout the entire vehicle, especially at certain RPM ranges while accellerating from stoplights.

This happened to me as well. Got rear-ended and the sound started. When I got it back from the shop, it was still there. I thought the transmission was going to blow up. Turns out the accident knocked the exhaust hanger off.

sami

Explorer
My 99 4runner does this too.. bugs the wife, but not me. I put on an OEM hitch, and at idle the tailpipe will sometimes rattle on hitch.. not alot, just enough to cause some harmonic noise..

My new 06 Xterra sounds good.. Got in on Saturday :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior