Thought you guys might like this

adrenaline503

Explorer
Even if they put the gas engine in a Hilux it would be bad ***. American marketing sucks. When I worked in a bicycle shop we got sent French Trek pamphlets by accident one time. We called and asked why we didn't get the cool bikes, they freaked out. They actually sent a rep over from 2 states to personally pick up the box and count each one to make sure we didn't keep any. Of course we kept one. Sheesh. Anyways, Americans in large must not be interested or else they would sell them. Of course, big business in America doesn't appear to be overly intelligent at the moment so who knows?

soonenough

Explorer
mrbishi said:
16-94918_02.jpg

16-94946_09.jpg
Off-topic: Is it just me, or do those pics look way post-processed to the point of being almost surreal-looking or cartoonish? Or maybe I'm just losin my mind...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
00dog said:
I'm a Dodge guy but I fell in love with this on a trip to Panama City:

DSCN0254.jpg
[/IMG]

4x4, manual, turbodiesel. If this were sold in the states I'd probably have one instead of my Cummins Ram.

Nice wheels ;)

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
That one with the live front axle is for sale currently on ebay here in australia......53grand he wants.

and the one in the OP's post.....Im shocked....he's trying to copy my hilux

01112008428.jpg

02112008433.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Call me crazy but I don't care for the new Hilux - I like the new Tacoma better. I do envy them their diesel engine and presumably manual shift T-case (do they have that?) but the Hilux has too much of a sloped front end for my taste. Take a look at those photos: That is some serious front overhang with that ARB on there! I could easily imagine that causing problems on some very steep or rocky trails.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Hilux_Max said:
That one with the live front axle is for sale currently on ebay here in australia......53grand he wants.

and the one in the OP's post.....Im shocked....he's trying to copy my hilux

01112008428.jpg

02112008433.jpg

Remember: Imitation is the highest form of flattery eh ;) ...

Love your Hilux Max, it's truly awsome.

Cheers

Dave

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Martinjmpr said:
Call me crazy but I don't care for the new Hilux - I like the new Tacoma better. I do envy them their diesel engine and presumably manual shift T-case (do they have that?) but the Hilux has too much of a sloped front end for my taste. Take a look at those photos: That is some serious front overhang with that ARB on there! I could easily imagine that causing problems on some very steep or rocky trails.

I am with you on this one, although I do think they might have a nicer back end. But the diesel makes them look oh so good.

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
I agree with you guys about the front ARB bar front overhang......3 times in the past year Ive been "hung-up" right on the front edge of the bar.....twice wasnt so bad, just need a light "tugg" backwards to get off the obstacle....the third time, I dammed up a small stream which became a river because of the hilux blocing it, and flooding the interior....not good, one month off the road and insurance replacing and repairing components.

If only it had an inch more clearance, that one inch helps so damn much.

Unfortunately for us here, we are "legally" not allowed to put custom front bars ansd tube bars on these new vehicles because the traffic authorities are too concerned that they may affect airbag deployment......

even thou Ive proven to them that it wont, nobody wants a bar of it!

It the best clearancing bar for the hilux there is here for the moment.

I wish the front at least, had a straight edge across under the headlights and grill like the old hilux's.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
madizell said:
Hard to tell from the first photo. Is the Hilux equipped with a solid front axle or IRS?

Can't understand why Toyota either won't sell these vehicles here, or thinks they won't sell. Does anyone actually know if federal fleet regulations have anything to do with it, or is it just marketing? Or is it that the diesels don't pass current emissions requirements?

No Hilux in the current generation (2005-09) was available with a solid front axle, unfortunately.

You can lift the front end of an 05-09 Tacoma about an inch more than a Hilux due to shorter struts in the Hilux.

BTW, for anyone in Panama that needs ARB stuff, here's the guy: http://www.lacasadel4x4.com/tienda/default.asp

CLynn85

Explorer
I love the mechanicals of the new Hilux, at least on paper and from what I've read, boxed frame, beefier.....everything, and a diesel, however I still prefer the front end of the Taco and overall shape, there's just something not right with that hilux front.

Still a very cool vehicle and if I lived in a place where they were sold it'd be pretty high on my list. But then again, places where hiluxes are sold you can also get FJ45's and 70 series readily....

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Crikeymike said:
You can lift the front end of an 05-09 Tacoma about an inch more than a Hilux due to shorter struts in the Hilux.

]

Pretty sure yopu can lift them the same amount, the front suspension geometry is almost 100% identitical.

I have mine lifted 3 inches.

The difference thou with the taco and Hilux is the back of the front guards is squarer where the hilux's is more rounded.....

doesnt really bother you unless your pushing tyre sizes to the limit.

I think its easier to squeeze 35's on a Taco with 3 inch of lift and cutting than on a hilux.

GenPuller

Tacoma Diesel ---- don't wake me up

Since the Tacoma and Hilux have so much in common. I wonder if you could get your hands on the Hilux's diesel engine in the U.S.? and if you could how hard it be to install the diesel in the Tacoma? Just a little dream I had.

D

Deleted member 9101

We have those over here in Kuwait, i want one soooo bad to bring back to the states.

gcwaterski

Yeah I'm with some of you guys. I LOVE the Hilux, but what I mainly love is the diesel engine! I prefer the looks of the Tacoma much better. No disrespect. (oh except the arctic ones clarkston rode to the north pole in- that one is sexay) The Hilux is sort of reminiscent of the Nissan Frontier. I don't mean that the Hilux is not a good looking machine by any means- I like it, and would rock one all day. But the Diesel engine is the real zinger. I mean, my petrol engine works just fine- love the 4.0 V6 power- but nonetheless I would LOVE a diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior