Montero Sport School me

OneTime

Adventurer
I have been looking at Gen 2.5 and 3's to replace my LC 80. But last week I lost my DD 4 banger and I thinking maybe a Sport. I love the 80 but have been drinving it for two weeks and the MPG is killing me. Not to mention 65MPH. I would rather the room of a Montero but am wondering if a Sport would be better for milage. Plus the seem to be a dime a dozen and cheeper.

Needs, This would be a adveture type rig. To haul my mt bikes to far away places. Comfort, cruise speeds of 75-80 would be nice. I stil want something that is capable off road. But I dont need over kill. I would also like to be able to sleep in the back. If assuming a sleeping paltforn can be built like with other SUV.

I loved my 95 SR. Wish I still had it. What should I look for and what should I stay away from?

mrbishi

Adventurer
Hey mate - you may be interested on my build up of my Mitsubishi Challenger (Australian version of the Montero Sport).

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16949

This post might help as well - someone else asking about the Montero Sports and my answer:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=300230&postcount=65

Very capable rigs and I am extremely pleased with mine. Any questions you have just shoot :)

challenger-8.jpg

rionorte

Cant say much for the other years since I have the 2003 MS Limited 3.5L AWD with limited slip differential.
Been dependable since I bought it new. I daily drive this vehicle and it does get better gas mileage than my 80. Only draw back is that it has a small fuel tank approx 19 gallons which would give you better than 260 miles. Which is not great for long trips away from the Interstate.

Im 5'6" and I fit perfect with the second row folded down.

The only thing Im looking at is replacing the timing belt soon with my current miles of 85K.

I also plan to make this more of a overlander with my 80 as the more extreme of the two. What I found out about the MS is there is a very limited amount of vendors that cater to it. OME is good for suspension upgrades. But ARB lockers per site are limited to the early models = dont see anything for my model year and up. But really, overlanding just requires you to have a dependable vehicle with good clearance - right?

mrbishi - your rig is one that I look to model my future project but without the body lifts since I will be maxing out with 32"s. Do you have any websites that feature the Challenger (Pajero Sport or MS) and is a good source for Tech? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrbishi

Adventurer
There isn't really much information at all about the Montero Sports.

All my mods were done myself with trial and error and testing things out.

You could check out the forums here - some useful info but also a lot of garbage to get through.

http://www.monterosportonline.com/

rionorte

I used that site but it is limited tech wise. Lots of bling and not a lot offroading.

Any other sites you guys down under use? Well it does have to be English language though. ;)

I just want to say what others have said = thats a well thought out (good look too) Challenger you have there. :costumed-smiley-007

mrbishi

Adventurer
Unfortunately there aren't any Australian sites / forums out there with any info on the Challengers. I have become known through the various Australian forums as a bit of a "pioneer" when it comes to modifying the Challengers and as far as I know mine is the first/most modified Challenger in Australia.

I should really put together a tech site with information about my car and the modifications to help others.

rionorte

mrbishi said:
Unfortunately there aren't any Australian sites / forums out there with any info on the Challengers. I have become known through the various Australian forums as a bit of a "pioneer" when it comes to modifying the Challengers and as far as I know mine is the first/most modified Challenger in Australia.

I should really put together a tech site with information about my car and the modifications to help others.

Thanks. Looking forward to it.
I think the lack of info on builds has limited a lot of ownership for offroad use for this vehicle. :beer:

OneTime

Adventurer
Bluto What type of MPG do you get highway, and what models have the limited slip?

Mrbishi Seeing your thread actually warmed me up to the trucks. Wasn't very hip to them prior. White is the the only cool color I've see yet. Accept maybe the black and grey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94