2 wheeled equivelents?

Rexsname

Explorer
My father-in-law and I went motercycle lookin' last weekend. I thought I wanted a Yamaha TW200 as a first bike. I only have a four wheel mindset ad the TW200 seemed kinda like a due buggy or a Suzuki Samuri, lots of fun for checking out random dirt roads but nothing I'd like to hop on and head out to the Grand Canyon or off to 'Vegas on.

He was kinda trying to steer me towards a H-D Sportster or a Heritage soft-tail. Niether one fit me very well and both were a bit spendy. These two seemed like an older guys hot rod, fast eough to get in trouble and comfortable for the right guy.................just not me.

Next I sat on a Yamaha V-Star 650. It fit! It felt just right, my feet could reach the ground and I would guess that it would work for two-up riding. Maybe a weekend trip............

I would hate to buy a first bike to learn on and feel the need to trade it in in a couple of months. On the other hand.... I dont want to drop an expensive bike learning how to ride it.

REX

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I learned to ride this spring and I went through a similar "what bike" dilemma. The problem was I didn't know what I didn't know. So with that in mind I'll repeat some words of wisdom I was told:

It won't be your last bike so don't try to plan for the future. Get the learning out of the way on a cheap gently used bike that you won't cry about when you drop it.

Good luck! :bike_rider:

Cheers,
Graham

Rexsname

Explorer
Well, what did you end up with? I thought that the TW200 was really cool (still do) but I dont think it would do what I think I want to do. We would probably have to have one for me and one for Carrie.

I first started by looking at scooters...............Good gas mileage, cheap to own, easy to learn to ride. But they seem like I would out grow one really quickly and then want more.

I've allways liked the way the Police Harleys looked, and even tho the two used ones didn't fit me I'll bet that there are enough different saddles and handle bars out there to fix that issue.

I really want to take the riders safety class to see what it's all about before I spend my hard earned money.

REX

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I originally bought my NX250 to be a 6-month bike. And while I am technically within that 6 months I realized after purchase that it was way more perfect for me than I was expecting - super light, dirt cheap, acts like a dirt bike thumper (low torque curve and 78mpg), and very forgiving... But it has a disc brake, water cooling, electric starter, 6-speed, and for my teeny 135lb body it is quite peppy. I have a feeling that it will eventually be joined in the stable by a BMW K75, but not until I can justify 2 bikes...

They can be had regularly for under $2k, and insurance is about $50/year.

DSCF2570.JPG

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Any bike will go around the world. Get a bike that fits and that you enjoy; even if it's not what someone else would call the "perfect" expedition bike.

Go ride...that's what it's all about!

I expect to see some pics of the new ride, BTW!

-H-

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Rexsname said:
Well, what did you end up with? I thought that the TW200 was really cool (still do) but I dont think it would do what I think I want to do. We would probably have to have one for me and one for Carrie.

I bought a 2004 Suzuki DR200 with 1200 miles for $2200. I'm 5'7" and I can easily put both feet down which was important at first but less so now I've got a couple of thousand miles behind me. Its a hoot to ride! The big plus for the DR is the 3.4 gallon tank which at 95 MPG has a useful 300+ mile range. The minuses are the 5 speed gearbox which limits top speed and the rear drum brake which works fine but a disk would be easier to maintain.

None of the bikes in this class has everything but I'm sure the TW, XT, KL, KLR (and whatever I missed) dual sport 250s are all equally enjoyable to ride while learning. None are freeway cruisers though.

Some of the people in my riding class bought other 250 CC bikes - Ninja, Vulcan - and like them a lot although they can testify to the price of dropping them on the driveway. I've dropped mine several times on dirt tracks and the total cost has been $2 on some clear tape to fix a turn signal.

One promise I made to myself is to keep the bike for at least a year. I'm really happy with the DR200 and I'm probably going to keep it. I'd like to try some lightweight solo (slowo?) touring on it next summer. But I've also been thinking about getting a DR650 or similar which would go at highway speeds but is heavier, less agile and thirstier.

My only problem so far is my better half hasn't been particularly enthusiastic about my regular suggestions that she should also learn to ride a motorcycle. It seems to be mostly related to lack of luggage and bad weather. Maybe I just need to get the message across that neither are a factor while you're learning to ride. And once you're hooked, they're still not a factor!

Cheers,
Graham

mr_ed

Toolbag
I went through the same thing last year. BUY USED!!!!! I got a 93 Vulcan 1500 for $2500, it'll haul @**, gets 50 MPG, and it didn't break my heart when I dropped it and broke the left rearview mirror and footpeg off.

Rexsname

Explorer
I'm still on the "hurry up and wait" program... I'm hopeing to go to the motorcycle safety/newbie training class as a Christmas gift. Iwouldn't mind used at all.

REX

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Triumph Scrambler?

900cc - maybe a bit much for a first bike, but it has a low seat hieght, can do dirt or slab, and way cool retro looks. Maybe $6K used?

I'm no expert on motorcycles, but I agree with grahamfitter's advice. I had an idea what I wanted (DR650), but all I really knew was that I didn't know enough to KNOW what I wanted. I told myself I would be open to ANY good deal on a dual sport. If the price is good, I could always sell it and buy another bike with minimal loss (which is outweighed by how much you'll learn about riding and what you'll like). Of course, I didn't really add in all the $$$ I have spent on the extras . . .

So I am currently enjoying the heck out of a DRZ. Can't say I'll have it a year from now, but it's been great for me.

b jeepin

Adventurer
my .02

well i felt the urge to get in on this one. i am an owner of two cycles currently, one is a yamaha tw 200. i'll start by saying it is one of the most fun two wheelers i've had. i am 200lbs and it does great for trail riding, if you are doin some serious distances you may want to thing some thing a little larger though. my second toy is an 07 shadow vlx 600....now i must tell everybody its true its for the "old man" in ya. i traded in my 02 honda cbr 600 F4I.... i know, i must be getting old but i wanted the comfort over the speed and power. i'll let you know i had the cbr up to 178mph and that was probably when i decided that was enough!! anyway as i ramble on the point is you'll get alot of different opinions from different people see what you can do to get on a few and try em out, but you cant go wrong for the trails with a small good on gas 200-250 cc bike.

good luck!!:elkgrin:

Rexsname

Explorer
I went to check out the riding school next door to Expeditions West/Overland Journal. I talked with the owner/teacher and I think I might have talked myself into a TW200 it seems like a great light duty dirt road and short commute bike. I cant wait to take this class! He says he'll be selling a couple of TWs soon.:bike_rider:

REX

805gregg

Adventurer
Check out the Suzuki V-Strom 650, you could tour the world 2 up on it, very reliable and can cruise all day 2 up at 85mph, a good all around fairly cheap moto. Stay away from cruiser style bikes, single purpose and not a lot of fun.

Rexsname

Explorer
"stay away from cruiser bikes, single purpose and not alot of fun"

I must say I'm a bit puzzled by this comment. Thats kinda like saying "stay away from RVs" when the original poster said that he wanted an RV. I'm not trying to be argumenitive, I just find the comment odd.

I've ridden on my Father-in-laws Ultra-Glide and had a blast! Comfortable, smooth, fast Whats not to like?

I'm thinking the TW200 for in town and some light dirt roads and a Road King or V-Star for trips to Lake Havasu to visit the in-laws.

Please discuss :bike_rider:

REX

805gregg

Adventurer
Ultra glide fast, not really, my ST1300 0-60 3.49 sec, my DL1000 0-60 3.62 sec, HD Glide about 0-60 8.5 sec in 8.62 sec a Honda ST would be hitting 100 mph. Thats half fast a Busa would smoke the Honda. HD's are at best obsolete, with the same frame designed in 1966, poor corning and performance, if noise= performance HD would be king, sadly not so. Check out the V-strom. 650 cc 70 hp, HD 1500cc 77 hp. DL 650 440 lbs, HD glide about 850 lbs. Plus you can ride the V-Strom off road.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior