KTM 950 Adventure: Expeditions West builds an ADV

Hayduke950

Observer
jerdog53 said:
Look its Hayduke!!! :wavey: bout time you appeared over here!

Hey there! I was doing some research on my Trooper (as I'm using it and my XR400 more and more for exploring) and I found this place. My screenname was taken here, though. LOL I almost signed up as HaydukeTM but I thought that might be confusing. :peepwall:

Hayduke950

Observer
jerdog53 said:
Not to hijack but you got a Trooper?! Oh I'm sorry!!!!!! :hehe:

fitz.gif

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=306968&postcount=615

Cabrito

I come in Peace
my neighbor's boyfriend let me take his 990 adventure for a spin around the block tonight. Pretty trusting since I don't know him. Really nice bike. I could only touch tippy toes like on my old KLR's. It felt a lot heavier than my KLR's did. (of course) Great balance and power though. Man would I like to own one but it's way too big. I am keeping eyes out for the 690 adventure used.

-m

traveltoad

Aaron S
Cabrito said:
my neighbor's boyfriend let me take his 990 adventure for a spin around the block tonight. Pretty trusting since I don't know him. Really nice bike. I could only touch tippy toes like on my old KLR's. It felt a lot heavier than my KLR's did. (of course) Great balance and power though. Man would I like to own one but it's way too big. I am keeping eyes out for the 690 adventure used.

-m

690 Adv... or 640 Adv?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Got a chance to ride this bike, which I will kindly now refer to as "Mr. Hyde" as my mild-manner goes out the window when I'm on this beast....

I now realize that I do not suck at riding in sand....my GS Adventure sucks in sand....the KTM just has enough power to lift the front end and motor right through the soft stuff! Kindof a Eureka! moment for me....

-H-

traveltoad

Aaron S
Hltoppr said:
Got a chance to ride this bike, which I will kindly now refer to as "Mr. Hyde" as my mild-manner goes out the window when I'm on this beast....

I now realize that I do not suck at riding in sand....my GS Adventure sucks in sand....the KTM just has enough power to lift the front end and motor right through the soft stuff! Kindof a Eureka! moment for me....

-H-

I know the feeling... there are so many things that I really struggled to get through on the GS now with a 950 it seems sooooo easy...

805gregg

Adventurer
Do you consider removing the gas tanks to change the oil an advantage on an adventure bike. KTM are great bikes, but require way too much wrenching for long distance fun. I followed a KTM 950 through some serious sand he had knobbies I had Tourance on my DL1000. He had no camping gear, I had the whole deal. He couldn't make it through the last sand wash. I could and hit him when he stopped right in front of me.I went down with a broken rib he was ok, thank god. I'll never follow another dumb MMMMM on their so called off road bike. It's the rider not the bike.

Hayduke950

Observer
805gregg said:
Do you consider removing the gas tanks to change the oil an advantage on an adventure bike. KTM are great bikes, but require way too much wrenching for long distance fun. I followed a KTM 950 through some serious sand he had knobbies I had Tourance on my DL1000. He had no camping gear, I had the whole deal. He couldn't make it through the last sand wash. I could and hit him when he stopped right in front of me.I went down with a broken rib he was ok, thank god. I'll never follow another dumb MMMMM on their so called off road bike. It's the rider not the bike.

I don't remove the gas tanks to change oil on my 950? Oil change takes about 15 minutes. The only reason to remove a tank is to get to the oil screen in the oil tank- you'd have to remove the left tank (although some people do it without removing the tank using a long extension). I've never found anything in that screen, so I, like most 950/990 owners I know, just check it when it is scheduled for a valve check.

Have you ever owned a 950?

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I wouldn't care if it took me three hours to change an air filter (oh wait, it does)... The KTM 950 ADV is a bike molded from the depths of my own soul.

I cannot imagine owning and riding any other motorcycle, and likely never will.

testing_panniers.jpg

Hayduke950

Observer
expeditionswest said:
I wouldn't care if it took me three hours to change an air filter (oh wait, it does)... The KTM 950 ADV is a bike molded from the depths of my own soul.

I cannot imagine owning and riding any other motorcycle, and likely never will.

Exactly! Well said!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94