KTM 950 Adventure: Expeditions West builds an ADV

Scott Brady

Founder
Most of the details of this build are in Overland Journal, and even more will be reviewed in the winter issue, but I wanted to begin recording the more obscure elements of the build here. It could bring about some good discussion.

The bike has been very well used and thoroughly loved in the six months I have owned it (first ride)
L1010835%20-%20Version%202.jpg

The KTM was configured for the TAT next:
KTM_950_TAT_Prep.jpg

It did not disappoint on the TAT at all:
TAT_Utah_Moab.jpg

And now I am changing it again, slightly, for longer adventure touring. Is Baja our next destination?
testing_panniers.jpg

A new set of tires... we will see if they even last to Tucson and back.
pirelli_scorpion_pro.jpg

I am currently researching all of my overland kit, including cook kit, tent, chair, tools, etc. This will be a different configuration than the soft panniers, as I will have a little more weight alloted and much more space in the Hepco and Becker panniers.

I am also researching com. solutions for integration with a bluetooth GPS and my iPhone for taking calls and listening to music on the road. Riding gear will also be further refined.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Having had the honor of riding this very bike, I must say, this is one wicked bike. If I didnt feel like I would kill myself on one, I would have probably bought one. But I do love my Africa Twin!

Great choice on a bike to build Scott.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Hey Scott....

You do know that the back end of that is looking kinda shiny....:snorkel:

We will have to discuss solutions to this problem in the near future. You should keep that thing covered before your jeep gets any ideas. Next thing you know, the Earthroamer is going to have chrome bumpers...:elkgrin:

Are you looking to the hard panniers as a permanent storage solution? Or more of a "only on the long trips on favorable terrain" kind of solution?

I am still a bit nervous putting hard panniers on my GS anytime the terrain is questionable. On the maintained dirt roads, no problem. But even the roads around Raven Rock aren't friendly enough for me to have a spirited ride with the aluminum panniers on....I've done it, but I keep the speeds down. For the rougher terrain, I am happier with the Wolfman bags, despite the fact that they move the weight much higher on the bike.

Hayduke950

Observer
goodtimes said:
Hey Scott....

You do know that the back end of that is looking kinda shiny....:snorkel:

We will have to discuss solutions to this problem in the near future. You should keep that thing covered before your jeep gets any ideas. Next thing you know, the Earthroamer is going to have chrome bumpers...:elkgrin:

Are you looking to the hard panniers as a permanent storage solution? Or more of a "only on the long trips on favorable terrain" kind of solution?

I am still a bit nervous putting hard panniers on my GS anytime the terrain is questionable. On the maintained dirt roads, no problem. But even the roads around Raven Rock aren't friendly enough for me to have a spirited ride with the aluminum panniers on....I've done it, but I keep the speeds down. For the rougher terrain, I am happier with the Wolfman bags, despite the fact that they move the weight much higher on the bike.

What Wolfman bags do you use? I haven't noticed the weight being higher with the Expedition bags (I think they are called) that I often use over my Gobi bags.

Scott Brady

Founder
You know... On a motorcycle, visibility is your friend, and may save your life. So for me, the right ExPo color is orange and a bright set of boxes on the back ;)

Overall, I will certainly restrict the technical trails I run with the hard panniers. My intention is to use them for touring, then mount the Ortlieb/PacSafe combo for anything remotely technical.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Gotta love that orange. The funny thing about it is that you would think it helps with visibility but I have two close calls that make me wonder. Cheers to a very nice bike. :beer:

traveltoad

Aaron S
Yaesu the FTM-10R a waterproof HAM with blue tooth. It is only 5w but... it is the best I have found thus far. I think that I will be installing one on the SE.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Hayduke950 said:
What Wolfman bags do you use? I haven't noticed the weight being higher with the Expedition bags (I think they are called) that I often use over my Gobi bags.
I have the expedition bags (large rear bag and duffel), and aluminum panniers from Jesse Luggage.

To clarify, I was comparing the position of the Wolfman Expedition bags (strapped on top of the pillion seat / rear rack), to traditional panniers (hanging off the side of the bike) pics below for reference.

expeditionswest said:
You know... On a motorcycle, visibility is your friend, and may save your life. So for me, the right ExPo color is orange and a bright set of boxes on the back ;)
In order to rear end you, they gotta catch you first! Not likely on that orange rocket...I'd post a picture, but my BMW couldn't get close enough for the G9 capture anything but a cloud of dust...:bike_rider:

Seriously though, how much weight do the Hepco Becker boxes add to the KTM? The side boxes look relatively small (even taking into account how big the KTM is), but that top box looks like a monster. How about the width with the side boxes on it? My GS is right at 35 1/2 inches with the Odessy I bags....not sure how wide it would be with the Odessy II's, but I don't expect it to be any wider.

Attachments

• G9l 30mm (5 of 9).jpg
    G9l 30mm (5 of 9).jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 131
  • CRW_0054-1.jpg
    CRW_0054-1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Hayduke950

Observer
goodtimes said:
I have the expedition bags (large rear bag and duffel), and aluminum panniers from Jesse Luggage.

To clarify, I was comparing the position of the Wolfman Expedition bags (strapped on top of the pillion seat / rear rack), to traditional panniers (hanging off the side of the bike) pics below for reference.

AAhhh... I was talking about the Wolfman Expedition pannier bags.

355881031_kfVrB-M.jpg

(that's my wife gearing up, not me!)

I've been very happy with all the Wolfman stuff I own (and I'm not just saying that because I print his tshirts! LOL)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Hayduke950 said:
I've been very happy with all the Wolfman stuff I own (and I'm not just saying that because I print his tshirts! LOL)

Scott and I stopped in to visit Wolfman when we were in CO just before the TAT trip. He makes some nice stuff! I also like the fact that the production takes place here in the states, rather than being farmed out to overseas suppliers.

I'm interested to see how the Hepco Becker panners size up next to the Jesse bags I have. I follow the same thought pattern as Scott with regards to the aluminum panniers: Nice for the long haul / easier terrain...really convenient for commuting and those trips where things come in and out of the bags frequently (camera gear, etc).

A year or two ago, I blew a corner on my 650GS, ended up with the bike upside down in a 3' deep ditch. I just happened to have my camera + 3 or 4 lenses in the pannier that took the hit. No damage to anything inside the pannier...and only minor damage to the pannier itself and the bracket holding it. I doubt I would have gotton off so cheap if I would have had the photo gear in a soft pannier.

So in the security and crash protection aspect, I really like the aluminum stuff...but I dislike pinning my leg between the ground and pannier when I have to dab a foot for more than a split second.

jerdog53

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
Most of the details of this build are in Overland Journal, and even more will be reviewed in the winter issue, but I wanted to begin recording the more obscure elements of the build here. It could bring about some good discussion.

The bike has been very well used and thoroughly loved in the six months I have owned it (first ride)

The KTM was configured for the TAT next:
KTM_950_TAT_Prep.jpg

I like it and wonder why anyone would do it any other way!

jerdog53

Explorer
Hayduke950 said:
lurker.gif

Nice bike- looks just like mine!
icon10.gif

I'll be interested in how you chose to set it up as a comparison...

Look its Hayduke!!! :wavey: bout time you appeared over here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles