truck van swap

cowboy4x4

Explorer
Ok bear with me here. I did this before with a datsun mini truck to a fullsize bronco frame a long time ago. I want a sportsmobile real bad but the price is just too far out of my reach soooo here is my idea . I own a 2003 ford F350 4x4 dually diesel. I can pick up a ford van stock bad motor or what ever pretty cheap. I want to take the truck body off the frame and install the van body w/ its frame to the truck frame. The truck suspension would stay stock but because of adding the van body and frame double stacking the frame I would get a 6 inch lift with the soft stock ride. I know the swap sounds difficult but it really isnt that bad and I have the capability/tools to do it. I would no longer be a dually and I would have a 7.3 diesel 4x4 van and then slowly turn the inside to a sportsmobile type setup. The only real question is the van steering setup versus the truck setup. What do you guys think ?..... Thomas

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Seems like a cool project but would be brutally labor intensive (and costly for all the small parts). But would be cool...

If it were me I would sell it, buy a diesel van, then buy the compnents to switch to 4WD. Even then you will still have to take all the effort to convert it into a decent camper as well.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
dieselcruiserhead said:
Seems like a cool project but would be brutally labor intensive (and costly for all the small parts). But would be cool...

If it were me I would sell it, buy a diesel van, then buy the compnents to switch to 4WD. Even then you will still have to take all the effort to convert it into a decent camper as well.

Agreed, a really intense project. What about the wheelbase difference? I know that dually has a longer wheelbase than the van's 138". Start looking for a nice used van, and convert yourself. You'll save tons of $$, and I can help you with the conversion. Less than 2 days work, the van will be 4wd!!

Check out my website.......

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
You'd have to shorten the frame. I can email you the link on how I did it on my FJ55 (on a 80 series land cruiser frame)... Where the joint is actually the stoutest part of my frame. It took a lot of work as you can imagine..

kjp1969

Explorer
ujoint said:
Agreed, a really intense project. What about the wheelbase difference? I know that dually has a longer wheelbase than the van's 138". Start looking for a nice used van, and convert yourself. You'll save tons of $$, and I can help you with the conversion. Less than 2 days work, the van will be 4wd!!

Check out my website.......

I hope that this isn't too much of a hijack, but Chris, what is a realistic cost of a Ujoint E350 4x4 conversion, using rebuilt parts and self-labor? Can you give guys like me a 'fer-instance?

Van cost: n/a
Conversion kit: $__
Transmission mods: $__
Transfer case: $__
Driveshafts: $__
Springs: $__
Shock mounts: $__
Gas tank mods: $__
Steering parts: $__
Axle (Axles?): $__

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Kevin-----If you do it like you stated.. self labor, even paying to have certain things done (tranny mods, fuel tank) and you get thrifty finding parts, you can expect to spend 5-7K. Good deals are always popping up. Froader & Clark (both Expo members) have found some crazy good deals on axles, t-cases, etc. You have the option with my kit to install new or used parts for all of the major components. There are just too many variables for me to put an exact price. You might pay $1500 for a front axle, you may pay $500...... The axle may be fresh, or it may need a full rebuild... I plan to have my new prices dialed in by the end of the week for the kit & springs. ---Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior