Lets Talk Tires

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I want to be a sponge from you guys with all this DS bike experience - I plan on running my new (to me) XR600R to the trail, on the trail & back home. In the past, and its been a while for me with bikes, there was no tire that did everything even remotely well. I'm hoping technology has changed and you guys can fill me in on what works and what doesnt. The bike I'm getting has knobbies on it and I know thats gonna suck for the street - so what are you guys running and how do you like them?

Terry

Hayduke950

Observer
Take a look at the Dunlop 606 or Perrelli's MT21... both very good DOT tires for dirt and street. For a little more street oriented, the Continental TKC80 tires stick amazingly well and do surprisingly good on the dirt. I loved the 606 on my 650 but not so much on my 950- different tires work better for different bikes.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm a fan of the Continental TKC-80.

With my portly BMW and conservative riding, I can get about 7000 miles out of a rear tire, and twice that on the front.

I had very few traction problems when I rode the western TAT last summer. It was a good mix of terrain, mud, silt, rocks, sand, pavement...They are *good* at all of it, *great* at none of it.....kinda like the rest of my bike...:roost:

greggski

On my Klr650 i liked my Mefo's 99 as a great allaround tire. I have about 5,000 miles on the current set. My second choice would be the Dunlop D606. Great off-road, fair on road.They lasted for about 4,500 miles. Third would be Irc gp-1's. Good all around tire. Fairly cheap, more road oriented.

I mostly ride my KLR on the forest service roads around here in Western Montana 70% Forest service roads, 30% Commuter miles..

RocKrawler said:
I want to be a sponge from you guys with all this DS bike experience - I plan on running my new (to me) XR600R to the trail, on the trail & back home. In the past, and its been a while for me with bikes, there was no tire that did everything even remotely well. I'm hoping technology has changed and you guys can fill me in on what works and what doesnt. The bike I'm getting has knobbies on it and I know thats gonna suck for the street - so what are you guys running and how do you like them?

Terry
How far away are the trails that you're planning on acessing? If they're only a couple of miles away (like most of them are where I live), then I say just run a dirt tire, and just ride pretty conservatively while you're on the street. I like the Dunlop D756's. They are lousy on the street (like most knobbies), and you'll go through them quickly if you do put a lot of street miles on them, but they really hook up nicely in the dirt... at least in the grease that we ride on around here.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I really like my D606s. They are a little rough on the street, but I wouldn't hesitate riding a 500 mile day on my bike with them installed. They are fabulous on the dirt and generally live up to the mantra that I have applied to dual sports in general." They don't do anything great, but do everything well".

Spence

traveltoad

Aaron S
I really like my D606s. They are a little rough on the street, but I wouldn't hesitate riding a 500 mile day on my bike with them installed. They are fabulous on the dirt and generally live up to the mantra that I have applied to dual sports in general." They don't do anything great, but do everything well".

Spence

I have heard very good things about the 606 front and rear on the smaller ds bikes. As my bike is too big for a 606 rear... I have the 606 front, 908 rear and it is a great combo.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
bigger DS bikes and thumpers are really different when it comes to tires. knob size and rubber compound really make a difference. TKC 80's are very popular with the big bikes and filter down to the thumpers alot, what makes them good for the big bike takes away from the thumpers, namely the big tread blocks, with the thumper you can run a more agressive tread pattern and get similar tarmac results with much better off road performance.

so keeping that in mind.

i tried the very popular TKC 80's on my KTM 640A and they were a good all around tire, very neutral on and off road.

i switched to MICHELIN BAJA'S and they were amazingly better off road, and still stable with predictable manners on the road.

i then tried a set of DUNLOP 908'S, pretty much the same story as the michelin's, very good off road with predictable on road manners and it adds a few miles in longevity bacause of the center tread design. the 908 is my favorite tire thus far.

i have run many tires and to be honest, when you get into the dual sport DOT range for a thumper like yours, there is not too much difference between the popular tires, they are popular for a reason.

this is one of those things where you can start with what works for the masses, and then through riding exp. you'll find what works better for you, your area, and your bike. you really cant go wrong with any of the tires mentioned here.

PC290190.jpg

Ok, I guess I am qualified to say this... for I have run pretty much all of the aggressive DS tires.

I dont like D606s
I HATE Kenda 270
I like Pirelli MT21
Pirelli "all terrain" enduro DOT tire sucks
I burned up a set of TKC 80s and they are my favorite 60/40 tire.

These Trakmasters are great. As you can see in the picture above, I was able to push them pretty good. The thing that I like most is that I'll be able to get 2800-3000 USEABLE miles on the rear tire!!!

As for as the front. No issues. Slick wet pavement, not so fun... but what tire is? See Episode 2 or 3 video above.... wet tunnel to get to Real de 14 covered with grease an diesel. I was riding with one hand and it got so slick at one point i put the camera down! I was all over the place, and yelling.

Trakmasters get 5stars for a mostly dirt adventure tire!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior