Camper built like a teardrop?

adrenaline503

Explorer
I dont know where to put this, trailers or campers? Anyway, is there any reason that I couldnt build a small slide on camper for my flatbed using teardrop building techniques?

eugene

Explorer
What exactly are you calling teardrop building techniques? All the teardrops I've seen are built like any other camper, frame of stick or whatever with wood or fiberglass or aluminum panels on it.

lowenbrau

Explorer
You'd really have to rethink the galley because it would be at least a couple feet higher than typical teardrops. It might be as simple as creating a platform to stand on, I dunno.

I really like the idea of tray top campers. Rosco73 just posted his over in the expo cruisers thread and I really think it makes for an ideal setup for us weekend warriors who like to use our trucks for other things between journeys.

adrenaline503

Explorer
Weight is my biggest concerns. I am unsure about how much I would need to brace the floor since it will have to be removed from the tray.

eugene

Explorer
Yea, as others said, the height of a flatbed is kind of high. My regular pickup truck the tailgate is just about the right height of a counter and its sitting between the wheels so you would be higher. I've seen people make camp kitchens that roll out of their truck and sit beside it easily.
A quick search I found this one http://rvtravel.com/blog/truckcamper/uploaded_images/pp-camper-rqriley-746022.jpg
I have started one

and of course the designated camp dishwasher for that trip :)

adrenaline503

Explorer
It is true that the tray is a bit high for a standard teardrop galley. I have considered a fold down counter, it is probably something that I would develop organically after the rest of it was built. I am used to sleeping on the ground, cooking on an always sloping rock so this would be luxury for me. I just need to keep it light, keep it simple. And cheap.

eugene

Explorer
Thats what the goal of mine was. I used those cheapie $5 crates since they were light and cheap. The bottom one holds all the plates and such is this old tupperware picnic backpack that was given to us years ago. I've thought about just getting some plywood and glueing on some of the laminate countertop and make it sit right on the tailgate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior