Looking for information

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Hello to the group, I've been reading the posts and trying to decide on my next vehicle / camper move. I'm torn between renovating my 20 year old Sunline truck camper (pretty much needs way too much plywood and panelling due to dry rot), building a new truck camper for my 1/2 ton truck (easier than the renovation but a large project), or buying a van and converting it to camper status. I think I saw a post about a link to a site which has a book on converting vans over to campers, but can't remember where that was. Biggest thing is that I am using this for mainly weekend fishing trips, maybe 4 to 5 days out at most, and only going to be myself and possibly the girlfriend depending on how much time she has for vacations. The areas I travel don't require 4wd, mainly paved and gravel roadways, nothing I couldn't take a car down. I've been kicking around the building part, but that may be too large a project, but I may be able to pick up a used Astrovan or E-150 locally for relatively cheap money due to the economy. But once again, I need to do more research, and was wondering if anyone can help me out on the site with the book or links to get more info.

Thanks

Matt

masterplumber

Observer
Just a quick endorsment for the travel vans book. It's a great resource even if all your doing is rebuilding & most of the info can be applied to any type of self contained overland vehicle.

Doug

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Thanks for the input. I've been doing some more research and found several sites devoted to the camper conversion. One I saw had a neat box that came out on rails to become a kitchen, I thought that was cool. I'm kicking around converting a truck cap over for this year, simple cots, lighting, storage, something other than rubbermaid bins for the kitchen, and then maybe in 2 years I'll have my next camper done.

Any other info is definately appreciated. Thanks

Matt

masterplumber

Observer
Check out Baja Tacos web site - great build with a fiberglass topper & links to a couple other buils including a Flippak. All Toyotas but the camper parts are the same no matter what you drive.

Doug

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
I looked at BajaTaco's site, I'm thinking that might be better for me in the winter when I run the truck cap, still looking at a van conversion. I found a couple sites by googling Camper Van Conversions, lots of UK sites, not that many US sites. The info is really good, gives me lots of ideas also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior