horned_lizard.jpg

browns_peak.jpg

view_from_steep_climb.jpg

me.jpg

And the write-up:

http://seth.phizz.net/adventures/browns_peak_8-13-06/

seth_js

Explorer
Oh, Ursidae69, what kind of rattler is black with yellowish-orange (more yellow than orange) spots? I saw one at the base of the peak (about 7000ft). Never seen one like it before.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Sweet! Looks like you are off to a great start on your Az counties hi-pointers. :costumed-smiley-007 Great pics :)

seth_js

Explorer
crawler#976 said:
Arizona Black Diamondback - http://sbsc.wr.usgs.gov/products/pdfs/fs-2006-3060.pdf

looks like a great trip!

That would be him. Interesting read too. Tonto National Monument is about 12 miles (as the crow flies) southeast of where I was. Kind of weird though, they talk about it liking the higher elevation and the habitat found there, but Tonto National Monument isn't that high. The vegetation found at TNM is pure sonoran desert. The vegetation found at the top of the peaks is pinyon/juniper with some ponderosa. Also, did you see the color of the young snakes? It turns black as it gets older. I wonder why black? That probably isn't the best color for that kind of habitat. I would say the colors of the normal diamondbacks would be better camouflage.

Thanks Mark.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
We've seen'm here a few times at about 4800' - the last two at Little Hell's Canyon and the north flank of Mingus Mnt. The one at Hell's Canyon had been eating frogs (We assumed frogs due the the huge numbers of them at the east end of the pond where we found the snake) and was so fat he/she could barely move. Very docile...

I'd suspect the black coloration was an adaptation that allowed them to live in the cooler temps found at higher elevations.

Last edited:

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Four Peaks? Sweet! I luv that area up there.

OK....the 15 highest peaks? Whatcha gonna do about High Peak on Mt. Graham (since it's a closed area)? Hike up to the next highest in the Pinaleno's (my favorite range in AZ...that's why I ask)? Webb or Heliograph?

seth_js

Explorer
Several of the highest peaks are "closed". The only reason why Graham is closed is because of the telescope controversy. When actually, there is nothing on the peak at all. The telescope is on another peak like a mile away. Since UofA and the environmentalists couldn't compromise, it was written that all elevations above a certain height were off limits, which is completely stupid because now the Graham county high point is closed for no reason at all. I know of several fairly short ways to the summit, with no off limit signs any where in sight. I have spoken with several people who have recently hiked the summit without issue. There is even still a register at the summit.

Mt. Baldy is "closed" as well. The trail is entirely within national forest land, but only comes within a mile of the summit. The summit is on the White Mountain Apache land. There are no signs specifically stating that hiking to the summit is off limits. The only signs are ones that talk about how it's sacred land and stealing anything (plants, rocks, etc) is a federal offense. I recently spoke with someone that ran into a local on his way up to the peak. They had a pleasant conversation and both went on their way. Nothing was mentioned of the summit being off limits.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm willing to take my chances. :p

Last edited:

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
seth_js said:
Several of the highest peaks are "closed". The only reason why Graham is closed is because of the telescope controversy. When actually, there is nothing on the peak at all. The telescope is on another peak like a mile away. Since UofA and the environmentalists couldn't compromise, it was written that all elevations above a certain height were off limits, which is completely stupid because now the Graham county high point is closed for no reason at all. I know of several fairly short ways to the summit, with no off limit signs any where in sight. I have spoken with several people who have recently hiked the summit without issue. There is even still a register at the summit.

Mt. Baldy is "closed" as well. The trail is entirely within national forest land, but only comes within a mile of the summit. The summit is on the White Mountain Apache land. There are no signs specifically stating that hiking to the summit is off limits. The only signs are ones that talk about how it's sacred land and stealing anything (plants, rocks, etc) is a federal offense. I recently spoke with someone that ran into a local on his way up to the peak. They had a pleasant conversation and both went on their way. Nothing was mentioned of the summit being off limits.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm willing to take my chances. :p

The Apache's CLOSED Baldy? You've always been able to buy a permit to access. No more? Ya sure? Ya gotta hike Mt. Ord and Ord Creek (by Baldy).

seth_js

Explorer
ShottsCruisers said:
The Apache's CLOSED Baldy? You've always been able to buy a permit to access. No more? Ya sure? Ya gotta hike Mt. Ord and Ord Creek (by Baldy).

I'm not sure. I've never heard of any one buying a permit. Maybe I'll give them a call and see what they say.

Ord is only a couple feet shorter than baldy, right?

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
seth_js said:
I'm not sure. I've never heard of any one buying a permit. Maybe I'll give them a call and see what they say.

Ord is only a couple feet shorter than baldy, right?

Yep. Ord is 11,300-ish compared to 11,590. Ord Creek is soooweeet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles