2000 4runner Sport Build

slomatt

Adventurer
cruiserbent,

Ideally I'd like to have gone with the 255s, but with my 5spd transmission that would have required a regear which was more than I wanted to spend. There's only a 0.5" clearance difference under the differential so I didn't think it was worth the expense.

CYi5,

Yup, I replaced the stock power outlet relay with a jumper so the outlets are now powered full time.

- Matt

Danimal

Adventurer
Looks great - I have a '98 and I love it.

On a side note, were you able to fit a 33" spare tire under the rear of the vehicle? If so, how did you get it to fit?

Thanks,

-Dan

toy_tek

Adventurer
Matt, you might consider adding a battery brain, which will automatically cut off your battery supply if it gets below starting voltage. Then with a quick reset, you're off and running. Its a simple inexpensive way to help ensure you aren't caught in the middle of nowhere with cold beer and a dead battery. I installed mine 2 years ago when I got my Engel fridge.

slomatt

Adventurer
Danimal,

My tires are 32" diameter. I've heard you can fit a 33" under the truck if you air it down, but I haven't personally tried that.

111db,

Conveniently the Edgestar has a built in low voltage cut off. I've tested it in my garage to make sure it works properly so I won't be stranded.

- Matt

slomatt

Adventurer
Trip updates.

Pardoes Trail : September 2010
http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/t4r_pardoes_20100918

DSC_0324.jpg

Slickrock Trail : September 2010
http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/t4r_slickrock_20100926

IMG_1209.jpg

- Matt

slomatt

Adventurer
A while ago I installed a CB radio in the stock ash tray location. The radio is a Uniden PRO 520XL which I selected for its small size. Other people who installed CBs into this same location have run into issues with the antenna cable hitting the heater ductwork under the dash. I didn't want to modify the ductwork, so instead I opened up the radio and added a second antenna connection that is lower profile. The antenna is a magnet mount unit I've had for years that is tuned to an SWR of ~1.3. When I have it installed the coax cable runs down the door seal and under the driver's seat where I'm using a 50 ohm BNC connector as a quick disconnect since it is a lot faster to connect than a PL259 connector.
http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/t4r_cb

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

- Matt

slomatt

Adventurer
One of the major weaknesses of the 3rd generation 4Runner is the location of the gas tank. It hangs down below the frame rails and tends to get hung up quite often on whatever I am driving over. Last year I put several major dents in the stock skidplate which is weak enough that this resulted in dents in my gas tank. After considering various options, including reinforcing the stock plate, I decided it was worth the money to purchase a Lil' Skip's gas tank skid plate. My reasoning was that modifying the stock plate takes a lot of time, and you still wind up using the weak stock mounting brackets. In addition to being stronger the aftermarket skid also increases ground clearance over stock and has a large cutout to prevent the driveshaft from rubbing on the gas tank skid which is common on lifted 4Runners. I'm very happy with Lil' Slip's product so far and can't wait to try it out on some rocks.

http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/t4r_gas_tank_skid

Here's the 1" dent I've acquired in my gas tank.
IMG_2826.jpg

Using the weight of the truck and a floor jack to flatten the bent stock skid.
IMG_2830.jpg

Fixing the point where the driveshaft had bent the stock skid.
IMG_2834.jpg

New skid primed and ready for some Hammerite.
IMG_2923.jpg

Goodbye dented, fixed, and dented again stock skid.
IMG_2928.jpg

Hello new skid!
IMG_2931.jpg

- Matt

slomatt

Adventurer
Here are two quick "teasers" of other projects that are in the works.

The first started with a stack of 1/2" plywood.
IMG_2879.jpg

And is well on its way to becoming a combination storage drawer and sleeping platform. This afternoon I added a 5th tie down point to the cargo area and am now in the process of applying finish to the cabinet.
IMG_2943.jpg

The other project combines several parts, a trailer hitch converted into an air tank, a digitally controlled air solenoid, and a 2-axis digital inclinometer.
IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

- Matt

"The other project combines several parts, a trailer hitch converted into an air tank"

Now there is an interesting Idea. Would have never thought of that. Sweet build I have a 99 that I am slowly building.

Tony

slomatt

Adventurer
Today I got around to installing a WARN m8000 in my ARB Prado bumper. I still need to buy some synthetic rope and a fairlead, but otherwise it is ready to go. The solenoid pack is mounted in the "W" cutout in the front of the bumper. The total added weight is a little under 50lbs.

I sleeved the frame bolts with some old suspension bushings so I can get them tight without bending the frame. In the future I may weld a cap on to keep it from deforming during side pulls.
IMG_6150.jpg

Here is the bumper dismounted and ready for the winch.
IMG_6151.jpg

The solenoid pack fits into the "W" cutout perfectly, but I don't have the ARB bracket to hold it in place.
IMG_6152.jpg

The great thing about this mounting location is that all the stock wires are the perfect length. I was a little worried about exposure to the elements and putting the ~7lb solenoid so far forward, but it is worth it for the easy install.
IMG_6153.jpg

A friend and I made some brackets out of steel plate to hold the solenoid in place. The bottom bracket mounts to the factory holes, and the top bracket mounts to the light's mounting stud.
IMG_6154.jpg

No more weird "fanged" W hole in the bumper.
IMG_6155.jpg

IMG_6157.jpg

- Matt

slomatt

Adventurer
It's been a while so here are some updates. There are more details on my website (see link in signature line).

Sleeping platform.
IMG_3515.jpg

Elocker installed.
IMG_4310.jpg

Short throw shifter.
IMG_4023.jpg

Slick Rock Trail
IMG_5799.jpg

Signal Peak
IMG_5732.jpg

- Matt

Forum statistics