To buy or not to buy?

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I need peeps thoughts on Cargo vans for limited expedition usage. Ever since I sold my old 94 4X4 suburban when gas prices were high, I have been using my Grand Cherokee for my research but it just isnt big enough and my camping gear goes into my utility trailer. So I have been considering extended or crew cab pick-up with a topper, OR using my Grand with the trailer for towing my camping gear OR buying an older cargo van and modifying the interior towards camping and my gear storage BUT the van although a 1 ton, is only 2 wheel drive (I was debating about maybe a locker in the rear end eventually). I look like to hear peoples thoughts and here are my list of priorities.

1. Store research gear which is about 10 duffel bags 10X10x20" and all my camping gear, tent?, cots, chairs, sleeping bag, stove, coolers, water, etc.
2. Ability to handle unimproved dirt roads and some 2 tracks, nothing really messy...some snow possible, muddy roads likely at times. I prefer 4X4 but hasn't been critical yet.....But>
3. Can tow a trailer (when needed to because of storage needs) and maybe sleep in the vehicle comfortably if weather is bad or colder than a tent would allow.
4. Will allow for a second person to ride shotgun and sleep if needed.
5. Like to have it not be my daily driver ( I would need to finance unless its about 2K then pay cash), so gas mileage is not critical unless $4 a gallon. Perfer power of a V8.
6. Like to fit reasonable size tires of at least 29-32" mud or good AT's (van only had 225/75/16's. Rear locker sufficient for 2 wheel drive? Ground clearance? No rock crawling, will hike in when needed.

The van I looked at was a 94 Chevy C30 1 ton with a 350V8 and tired with 225/75/16's with 150K. This would be a 3rd vehicle, paid in cash.
A pickup I looked at was 2000 F150 extended cab 4X4 with a 5.4L V8 and a nice are Construction type topper (sleepable) with 128K. This would replace my Jeep. Financed if done.
My Grand Cherokee is a 99 WJ limited with a 4.7L V8 with 140K and needs new front drive shaft, heating/air controls are erratic and new tires. I have to use my trailer/tent combo. I do have a Garvin roof rack for it. It's my daily driver now which is how the front driveshaft got nessed up, doing my research. About a year till paid for....sucks I know!

Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts.

Pete Wilson

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
You can't go wrong with a van for the most versatility. The interiors are fairly easy to customize to your liking, and the platforms are durable and easy to maintain. As far as a 4x4 conversion, you'll be better off with a Ford. Search around, good 4x4 vans pop up now & then, some with decent mileage. Otherwise, get a nice clean 2wd that has what you want, and do a 4x4 conversion. It's worth the investment!!!

CSG

Explorer
On the 4x4 thing, I often wonder how many times we actually *need* it. Now, I realize that on this site, many of the members are pretty hardcore and truly do 4x4 worthy stuff. I found that for me, the places I'm likely to go and the times of year I'm likely to go, I rarely need 4x4. When I was van shopping I was looking for a used 4x4 SM. When the PleasureWay Traverse I ended up with came along I snatched it up (it was about a third the price of what I was looking at from SM. I figured I could either add a limited slip rear end or do a full 4x4 conversion. In the year I've now owned it I have not felt the need to do either. It takes me where I want to go and has just under 8" of ground clearance. I've had it on some dry 4x4 rated roads in the SNRA and South Hills and being careful is the main thing.

Vans are cool though and whether or not they are set up for serious off roading they offer a different experience in the outdoors than a truck camper or towable. I like being able to sleep inside on a comfortable bed and stay out of the weather on nasty days.

Last edited:

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

With regards to the van; I would think that if I could get a few inches of lift and mount some decent tires (225/75/16 mounted now) and throw a locker in the rear end that I could do a fairly decent job of maybe 75% of the places where most would go (I figure a little prudence comes into play here) since most 4X4's are not true 4wheel drive in that the axles are limited slip type setups. I like either the E-Locker or an OX-Locker since they are the least drag when not engaged. Thoughts?

Pete Wilson

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The Ford vans have a few oddball axles, so ID yours first. The most common in the late models is a Dana 60 Semi Floater with c-clips. There is only one full locking diff on the market, from ARB. More $$, but an excellent choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior