2001 Suburban LT loaded, blown engine

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
My dad's 2001 Suburban blew its engine while idling. This could be a great inexpensive project platform for someone.

Price: $3,000. Blue book is about $8,000 and a new engine I'm guessing is about $5,000 (the engine rebuilder gave that as a worst case guess, but they have never rebuilt one as they have never seen one fail).

Let me be totally honest here, if I had the money to put a new engine in it I would take it. I can't even tell you how much I would love to rebuild this and spend a few months cruising around Mexico or the US. I don't know another vehicle that can transport a family and gear as comfortably or effectively. Gas mileage historically has been about 18-20 mpg in 2wd on the highway, 16-18 in 4wd. My personal worst on it was 14 mpg driving with four people and gear through Kansas in 4wd with 60+ mph head and cross winds. Not sure if this is relevant given that it needs a new engine.

The bad:
Needs new engine and I would replace battery, alternator and starter as well as they are original
Auto-ride shocks removed, but electronics remain
Located in Denver, but the vehicle would need to be towed (see needs new engine above)
About 240,000 miles, all highway [edit: not 250,000 as originally listed].

The good:
Frame replaced at about 200,000 miles by a very, very good shop. Long story, PM if you care.
Good tires
New Kenwood/Boston Acoustics audio
The truck is very clean overall
New complete AC system (if it could be replaced, it was)
4.11 gears -- this is very rare
Complete new front suspension -- if it can be replaced, it was
The truck has never been on a dirt road that would challenge an Subaru.
My dad is extremely anal about maintenance

So if the truck is so great, why aren't we just putting in a new engine? Well, my dad has been wanting a new Suburban since the new models came out, and this is the perfect excuse for a new truck.

Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Sorry, I've been out for a couple days. I'll try to get pics up this afternoon.

It is a 1500, color is dark grey metallic, interior is light grey leather, all options that were available for that model year.

I talked to me dad this morning. First $3,000 takes it and I was wrong about the mileage it is 240k. I will amend the first post to reflect that.

[Note: first post updated with price and mileage]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles