Diesel News: POST HERE

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/22/2017-chevrolet-cruze-diesel-first-drive-review-effortless-economy

Dealers are starting to receive Chevrolet Cruze compacts with a redesigned version of the four cylinder turbodiesel engine. Now displacing 1.6L and with an aluminum block, the new motor weighs 360 lb less than the 2.0L model it replaces. The new engine is quieter and more refined than the first generation motor. Torque output remains at 240 ft lb. EPA economy ratings are 30 mpg city, 52 mpg highway, 37 mpg combined.

Autoblog found this diesel to be an economical choice for commuting. They saw 60+ mpg in highway driving. The average fell to 32 mpg in the city, however, so an electric-gasoline hybrid is more economical in stop and go driving.

Diesel fuel is about 8% cheaper than regular unleaded at stations in Northern California right now, contrary to government statistics that show diesel being more expensive across the nation.

The 1.6L diesel will soon be offered in the redesigned Equinox SUV.

haven

Expedition Leader
Car and Driver got a look at a 2015 Passat TDI that had been updated with new emissions control hardware and software. With VW's help, they tested vehicle performance running the old emissions equipment, and with the EPA-approved changes. Result: no noticeable change in acceleration, and reduced emissions.

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...both-fixed-and-cheater-vw-tdi-diesels-feature

The 2015 VWs with four cylinder TDI engines had the full set of emissions equipment (catalyst, particulate filter, urea injection). So the cars could have met EPA emissions standards. VW apparently decided to mess with the emissions control software to reduce consumption of diesel exhaust fluid. Bad decision!

In March, VW got approval to resume selling the 2015 Passat with the software update. VW will replace the emissions control hardware at a later date when production of the replacement hardware ramps up.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm looking forward to how they can fix/modify the cars without a DEF system. That will probably not be as easy, at least that has been my guess all along. We miss our 2013 JSW TDI, fun car.

MOguy

Explorer
I sit on a school board and we are having money issues with maintain modern emissions equipment in our diesel powered buses. We are now buying older buses. I am not sure if this will be a problem with passenger vehicles.

Does anyone know FOR A FACT the experience in Europe with Euro VI emissions in cars and HD vehicles? The standards are similar to ours but allow about 1.5-2.0 as much NOx but only about 66% as much particulates. The difference in ratios allows tuning for better fuel efficiency. Does it result in less maintenance problems?
The reliability issues and intolerance to high sulfur low cetane fuels in modern diesels has nothing to do with the electronics, it has everything to do with EGR and downstream emission hardware.

Charlie

doug720

Expedition Leader
Not only is the purchase costs of new diesel engine expensive, the long term ownership of modern after treated diesels is expensive. In addition, the down time associated with these engines is substantial. My buddy runs one of the largest CAT dealer networks, and you should hear the stories of problems, pissed off customers, lost income., etc.

New diesels ain't for the faint of heart!

OneBakerEleven

Not only is the purchase costs of new diesel engine expensive, the long term ownership of modern after treated diesels is expensive. In addition, the down time associated with these engines is substantial. My buddy runs one of the largest CAT dealer networks, and you should hear the stories of problems, pissed off customers, lost income., etc.

New diesels ain't for the faint of heart!
Lot of truth here. All parts are getting expensive, but with the additional maintenance required running a diesel is noticeably more expensive. I recently purchased a 22 Wrangler Ecodiesel. The main reasons I was interested in this purchase is that I have experience as a diesel mechanic, and the fact that I work in a dealership parts department. I am able to get parts at good prices, and I am able to do a lot of work myself.

MontySquareo

Does anyone know FOR A FACT the experience in Europe with Euro VI emissions in cars and HD vehicles? The standards are similar to ours but allow about 1.5-2.0 as much NOx but only about 66% as much particulates. The difference in ratios allows tuning for better fuel efficiency. Does it result in less maintenance problems?
The reliability issues and intolerance to high sulfur low cetane fuels in modern diesels has nothing to do with the electronics, it has everything to do with EGR and downstream emission hardware.

Charlie
the European diesels are slightly more reliable because they can use no or less EGR so the intakes don't plug as fast.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I just looked back at the first 2 pages of this thread. All kinds of “insider info” from companies like Toyota and Honda about bringing diesels the NA that definitely never happened.

nickw

Adventurer
I just looked back at the first 2 pages of this thread. All kinds of “insider info” from companies like Toyota and Honda about bringing diesels the NA that definitely never happened.
LOL - yeah, hindsight is funny like that. Guys were convinced the Tundra was coming out with a diesel, heard it from a friend who heard it from the GM at a Toyota dealership who heard it from a corporate engineer, etc....

Re; Toyota - I think they saw all the EPA writing on the wall and were not comfortable offering a diesel with all the mandated crap due to the possibility of those systems eating into the reliability ratings.

I had a 2012 VW Diesel, 6-sp manual, awesome car...but VW had to cheat to get that on the market and it got bought back....but it was always a concern, accidentally fill with gas you'd have a $5k+ repair bill and the DPF was a constant concern for me. Glad to be back in a gas rig.

OneBakerEleven

LOL - yeah, hindsight is funny like that. Guys were convinced the Tundra was coming out with a diesel, heard it from a friend who heard it from the GM at a Toyota dealership who heard it from a corporate engineer, etc....

Re; Toyota - I think they saw all the EPA writing on the wall and were not comfortable offering a diesel with all the mandated crap due to the possibility of those systems eating into the reliability ratings.

I had a 2012 VW Diesel, 6-sp manual, awesome car...but VW had to cheat to get that on the market and it got bought back....but it was always a concern, accidentally fill with gas you'd have a $5k+ repair bill and the DPF was a constant concern for me. Glad to be back in a gas rig.
I was looking up aftermarket exhaust for my 22 wrangler 3.0 diesel. I almost laughed diagram, two thirds of the exhaust is all cats. The exhaust "kit" is a pipe like a foot long, and there are a lot of places selling one for ridiculous prices.
I used to work at a diesel specific shop in Texas. we ran into folks that put gas in a diesel. The shop fix was to drain out the incorrect fuel as much as possible, refill with the correct. Top it off with a qt of trans. fluid and run it. As long as there wasn't any lasting mechanical issues we would call it good. I want to say this worked every time we had to do it. Now keep in mind these were usually older 7.3's or cummins. The newer ones might be more of an issue, especially the euro based.

nickw

Adventurer
I was looking up aftermarket exhaust for my 22 wrangler 3.0 diesel. I almost laughed diagram, two thirds of the exhaust is all cats. The exhaust "kit" is a pipe like a foot long, and there are a lot of places selling one for ridiculous prices.
I used to work at a diesel specific shop in Texas. we ran into folks that put gas in a diesel. The shop fix was to drain out the incorrect fuel as much as possible, refill with the correct. Top it off with a qt of trans. fluid and run it. As long as there wasn't any lasting mechanical issues we would call it good. I want to say this worked every time we had to do it. Now keep in mind these were usually older 7.3's or cummins. The newer ones might be more of an issue, especially the euro based.
I think it's the newer diesels, specifically the high pressure fuel pumps, that get wrecked with gas on the newer rigs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier