Diesel News: POST HERE

Scott Brady

Founder
Post up any diesel news in this thread. Diesel motors are coming for SUV's, Jeep and smaller trucks. It is a beautiful thing!

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
BRING ON THE TOY DIESELS!!!!!

Maybe one day we can have a diesel section here... I can't wait :drool:

flywgn

Explorer
Great thread Scott!

One of my former students (graduated '72) is with Toyota R&D and gave me some GREAT news a few weeks ago--but I'm not allowed to discuss it. :bowdown: :) :)

Allen R

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Allen... you are indeed a rascal.

Ok, this is a little stale for news, but deserves a mention here:

July 26, 2006
Cummins to produce high-performance, light-duty diesel engines

COLUMBUS, IND. - Cummins Inc. (NYSE:CMI) today announced it has reached agreement with a major automotive manufacturer serving the North American market to produce and market a light-duty, diesel-powered engine. For competitive reasons, Cummins original equipment manufacturer partner in the venture has asked to remain confidential.

As part of the agreement, Cummins will develop and manufacture a family of high-performance, light-duty diesel engines for a variety of automotive applications in vehicles below 8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight, including standard pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles. Certain bus, marine and industrial applications also will be served by this engine family...

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
FWIW, a gentleman from HONDA has also recently made some remarks regarding diesel and the assertion that Honda will be putting a heavy focus on development of a diesel for North America, with particular mention of a 6-cylinder.

Traverse City, Michigan 08/09/2006 -- Remarks by John Mendel, Senior Vice President, American Honda Motor Co., Inc.:

"...another key strategy that has earned quite a bit of attention is our plan to introduce what could be the world's first clean diesel engine. Honda's direct injection diesel engine technology now offered in Europe has received critical acclaim for its performance, smooth operation and efficiency... and is selling well in four different vehicles.

Based on this foundation, within three years, we will introduce a new 4-cylinder diesel engine that meets the world's toughest emissions standards. With hybrid technology focused more on small cars, we believe that diesel technology is the best fuel efficient technology for larger vehicles. So, R&D is also working on the development of V6 diesel engine technology. We do not have a timetable for introducing such an engine. But it is a key development goal.

I am very confident that our diesel technology will achieve our goal of creating new value in this market. Some have suggested this will be as important a breakthrough as the Civic CVCC was in being first to meet the U.S. Clean Air Act in the early 1970s. I don't know about that. But I can say that, like the CVCC engine, we will meet our goal without add-on technology like urea. What I have found very interesting is the positive reaction we have received from this announcement of our diesel plans. With the development of this new technology, many customers and analysts are enthusiastic about what they see as the return of Honda's challenging spirit. Hey... we never stopped challenging... it's just that some of our efforts are so far out there it is more difficult to appreciate..."

Full article HERE (be sure to have a pop-up blocker :smilies27 )

S

Scenic WonderRunner

datrupr said:
Everyone is a comedian.....:xxrotflma

But, it should be "Dr." Z.:p

OH Gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I ment!

............I knew that!..............hehe:sombrero:

Must have been the chips~n~beer!!!!!!!!!!!!

..........hehe!!!!!!!!!!!!!..............:friday:

Thankyou!...........

It has been "corrected".........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
flywgn said:
One of my former students (graduated '72) is with Toyota R&D and gave me some GREAT news a few weeks ago

Would that news happen to be on the light duty side or the heavy duty side of things? Would you say it would be worth 4 beers in a row, 6 side-by-side? And what is the displacement on those beers? How many horses would I need to transport said news?

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
based on Chris and my conversations with Toyota folk, 2009 model year should see diesels in the US.

:drool: :drool:

That is great news. I am aiming to be in the market for a new vehicle around that time frame. A new Toyota diesel would be nice or atleast more motors for diesel swaps into a 60 ;)

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Two thousand NINE?

Talk about missing the bus. C'mon, they can get one here sooner than that, can't they? At least in the Tundra. And what would it take to modify Toyota's existing, superb three-liter four-cylinder to run on our crappy high-sulphur diesel for the Tacoma?

S

Scenic WonderRunner

At my local Toyota Dealer.........

I've had the General Sales Manager.........and a salesman..........both tell me that the Tundra will come with a Diesel Engine in Late 2007.

Could this be true?

I does seem kinda fast to me.

I'm confused why they would tell me this if it's really not going to happen until 2009.

I personally.........Have NO IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles