Good Sites for Solar?

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Can we get a list of great solar info sites gathered on this post? Im looking to become more familar with solar panels for a future project and really want to find a good list of sites with great info on the subject. So post up your best bookmarks!

jfarsang

Adventurer
They have a good sale on panels now.

http://www.sierrasolar.com/docs/12-08 Postcard-1.pdf

Used 80 watt Panel Sale!
Completely tested, reconditioned and warranteed
Solec SQ-80
80 watt
17/34 volt (12/24v nom)
4.6 / 2.34 amp
1-3: $309 ea.
4-7: $299 ea.
8+: $289 ea.
52” x 23”, 21 lb.
Ground/Roof Mounts-
2 panels $75
3 panels: $85
4 panels: $95 (free w/4
panels, next 30 days)
Shipping and handling: $65 (1 or 2 panels)
30 day warranty
Extended warranty available, inquire.
Expected life: 20-25 years

gemarsh

Ron,
I just bought a Kimberley Kamper and one of my first projects will be getting solar panels for it. Some of the sites that I have been referencing:
1. Their site has been an excellent resource for the particulars on the camper itself.
2. The Iowa Renewable Energy Sourcebook has been a great source and a powerful search engine for finding a variety of solar sources throughout the country.

So far this is what I am considering based on the info I have gathered:
1. A suitcase-type configuration. It will consist of two BP solar 50 watts panels (BP350J) with a piano hinge along the long edge of the case that folds into each other. This would make it easy to handle and in the event I bust one I still have another.
2. 25' #10 UV resistent cable. Something sturdy enough to handle sitting out in the sun and sheathing tough enough to handle it being walked on.
3. Charge controller. I am considering the SunKeeper 12 amp solar controller.

Comments?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Ron.

Im looking to become more familar with solar panels for a future project

Sorry, can you be a bit more specific? Are we definitely talking about a mobile installation such as a vehicle? Cause if this is a cabin or something satationary there are so many other things to consider. I'm still finishing a degree in renewable energy technology so I have quite a pile of info lying around (websites included) although much of it relates to Oz and the rest is obviously generic.

My .50cents based on marine and RV industry experience since 1980 or so is > if it moves, so anything mobile (RV, 4x4, caravan, yacht etc, etc.) there is only one choice of brand> Canon Unisolar and 9 times out of 10 the PVL 68 is the specific unit to fit. But as I said, if the install is stationary there is a myriad of things to consider when chosing between brands, panel sizes, life, tracking or not, how the landscape site will effect the system such as shading, latitude, etc.etc.

Let me know what you're looking at doing and Ill try and dig up specific info for you.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Bump. I know there are more folks out there with Solar knowledge that can pipe up on tis subject. Bring it on. :wings:

Radio

Observer
Yes, more options are better. I am researching now for a solar set up for my trailer, so I hopefully don't have to use my genset all the time. One that is portable, robust, can be used for the trailer and swapped to the FJ depending on the trip.
There are many options, and knowing what is out there, talking with you all, I bet there can be some ingenious design solutions!
Viva creativity!

Martyn

As many of you know AT have been providing a solar option for our trailers for years. You can check out some of our offerings at http://www.adventuretrailers.com/12volt_solar.html

The equipment isn't cheap, and is it is essential that you do an energy assessment BEFORE you do anything else. That's before you start looking at panels, controllers, and places to locate the equipment.

My recommendation is no matter what you buy, as far as a panel goes, get a charge controller with a digital read out. Then you will know how much power is coming in, and what level of charge your battery is at. For troubleshooting it's a godsend.

We carry PowerFilm foldable panels as well as a full range of Carmanah products http://www.carmanah.com/ We also have all the marine grade fittings.

AT sells all the component parts and we do full installation.

Martyn

Yes, more options are better. I am researching now for a solar set up for my trailer, so I hopefully don't have to use my genset all the time. One that is portable, robust, can be used for the trailer and swapped to the FJ depending on the trip.
There are many options, and knowing what is out there, talking with you all, I bet there can be some ingenious design solutions!
Viva creativity!

Mario has his solar set up for his vehicle and trailer. He has a digital controller in the trailer, and a small controller under the hood of his Jeep (no display just a red light and green light).

The foldable panel is 11" x 9.5" x 2" and the whole thing weighs 3.19 lbs. so moving the panel from trailer to vehicle is no problem. It's then just a matter of plugging the panel in on either set up.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I installed an AMSolar 100 watt panel 3 years ago. It is permanently mounted on the truck roof with the controller inside. It has been working keeping my 3 batteries alive and well.
As stated in an earlier post they are good people to work with. Patiently, answered all my dumb questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles