FG's in Action

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Makes you wonder why anyone considering mounting a camper on a Fuso would even consider fish plates or U bolts, doesn't it?
Westyss' camper is a perfect example of how much these chassis can flex.

lehel1

Adventurer
flex, flex opps crack

Makes you wonder why anyone considering mounting a camper on a Fuso would even consider fish plates or U bolts, doesn't it?
Westyss' camper is a perfect example of how much these chassis can flex.

hey guys

just because the fuso frame can flex so much doesnt mean it was designed too over and over. my take, mount solid with alittle cushion between the camper frame and camper box and let the suspension (hopefully with simple leaf spring and shock upgrade) do the work. youll be gald you did. unless of course you plan to do the rubicon trail.

ive had my 08 fuso camper thru the best courses at the overland ralley events with great success the last couple of years with no truck or camper problems. after a year planning building the truck im now glad i went this simple route as it meets my uses. to date i have been able to go everywhere i have taken my previous unimog camper, of course with more care given to ground clearance.

hope your all enjoying cheers

alan

Explorer
I second that, this amount of constant flex will break the chassis, soft mounts are the answer as used by just about all, earthcruiser, ATW etc

adam88

Explorer
I noticed Host is building a non-popup version of the EarthCruiser. Any plans to bring the pop-up version to the US?

LukeH

Adventurer
Of course it's possible; the straight ladder chassis lends itself to all sorts of mods. But the effort, stress and money you would have put into adding a third axle would be better spent on a bigger truck. A decent 10 tonne 4x4 would happily carry what you need a little 6x6 Mitsu for. And the bigger trucks also come in 6x6 without the hassle of registering a modification.
But that's only my opinion. Weight is the enemy, adding more weight to a powertrain that wasn't made for it is going to slow you horribly, even if it can cope fine it will still do so slower.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I have mentioned Dave's truck before but here are some pics he asked me to post up from a recent Endeavor Rally where he drove sweep following the comp vehicles and recovering any stuck or broken down. As you can see they got into a bit of strife there once but all ended well.

Day 6 Mataranka to Baniyala 530.jpg

3.JPG

photo1.JPG

SDC13392.jpg

SDC13399.jpg

The proud parents!!
SDC13428.jpg

SDC13750.jpg

SDC13736.jpg

SDC13684.jpg

SDC13753.jpg

Last edited:

westyss

Explorer
WHOA! that looks to be a really stuck truck there, my worst nightmare is to be that deep in muck, and it looks to me like all they used to get outa there was a shovel and throwing whatever under the tires.......... how long did it take to get it out of there?

westyss

Explorer
WHOA! that looks to be a really stuck truck there, my worst nightmare is to be that deep in muck, and it looks to me like all they used to get outa there was a shovel and throwing whatever under the tires.......... how long did it take to get it out of there?

Hmmmm......... now I see the last picture showing the winch line etc. with the other truck, still must have taken a good pull to get it out.

HowardH

Adventurer
just because the fuso frame can flex so much doesnt mean it was designed too over and over. my take, mount solid with alittle cushion between the camper frame and camper box and let the suspension (hopefully with simple leaf spring and shock upgrade) do the work.

I want to make sure I understand. You are suggesting mounting the box tighter to the frame which will limit frame flex (because of box rigidity) and force the suspension to do more of the work? Assuming the answer is yes at what point does the box become over stressed and what safeguards are in place to prevent this? Construction strength? Common sense? Experience?

I second that, this amount of constant flex will break the chassis, soft mounts are the answer as used by just about all, earthcruiser, ATW etc

I have seen pictures of box mounting "clips" that are bolts with springs that appear designed to isolate the box from frame movement as much as possible. Where can I learn more and see pictures of these "soft mounts"?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I want to make sure I understand. You are suggesting mounting the box tighter to the frame which will limit frame flex (because of box rigidity) and force the suspension to do more of the work? Assuming the answer is yes at what point does the box become over stressed and what safeguards are in place to prevent this? Construction strength? Common sense? Experience?
I have seen pictures of box mounting "clips" that are bolts with springs that appear designed to isolate the box from frame movement as much as possible. Where can I learn more and see pictures of these "soft mounts"?

A good starting point (31 pages of Discussion):
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/25494-pivoting-frames-and-mounting-campers

HowardH

Adventurer
Thanks a lot Mog. Now I'm more confused then ever. :sombrero:

Basically the consensus is there is no consensus but lots of opinions. However all the truck manufacturers appear to have published their own mounting guides. Seems the best bet is to follow their recommendations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12