FG's in Action

unkamonkey

Explorer
Thanks. Love your videos. Can anyone explain why I can watch youtube videos running continuously but Vimeo videos are always jumpy?

It played fine for me.

I'm so happy my old 1992 MF has a 5 speed in it. I rarely go to low range unless I am backing in a trailer through the trees.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Thanks. Love your videos. Can anyone explain why I can watch youtube videos running continuously but Vimeo videos are always jumpy?

The same happens for me, Vimeo is very hard to watch.

Dan.

PS. Actually would like to see this one properly.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
For these specific Vimeo video files, they are in HD, so the file size is bigger than most you might watch on YouTube. I also think that YouTube serves video based on connection speed, so you will get a lower resolution video if you have a slower connection speed.
Watching streaming HD video can be a challenge, as smooth playback is heavily dependant on your internet connection speed. If your connection is not fast enough the video will continually buffer, which makes watching the video a pain.

For the majority of videos that I am interested in watching, I normally download them, opposed to watching them online.
If you cannot right click and download the video directly, there are numerous online video download sites that will enable you to get the video file.

Last edited:

gait

Explorer
even when I download (just wait for it to try to play to the end once then play again) some are jerky .... I have a netbook with an atom processor, which probably struggles a bit.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
even when I download (just wait for it to try to play to the end once then play again) some are jerky .... I have a netbook with an atom processor, which probably struggles a bit.

That will only work if the video file is downloaded into the browser's cache. If the video is streamed it does not matter how many times you watch it; if the internet connection is not fast enough then it will always buffer.
To be honest, I do not know how Vimeo does its thing, but even with a fast internet connection I have had issues watching Vimeo videos online sometimes.

As I mentioned, I physically download the video file, then watch it using VLC. I don't normally watch these videos in the browser.
The bonus of this approach (for me) is that I can archive video files I am interested in and watch them whenever I like.

gait

Explorer
the progress bar at bottom of videos usually/often shows both buffer and play progress so easy to distinguish between internet connection, buffering, caching, and slow computer.

yabanja

Explorer
jumpy videos

Hmmm..... Good to know. I chose Vimeo arbitrarily. Haven't had any problems with it, but we have an uber fast connection. I wonder if it is the international connection. Have been considering switching to youtube, but really not excited about having ads.

Take care,

Allan

kerry

Expedition Leader
the progress bar at bottom of videos usually/often shows both buffer and play progress so easy to distinguish between internet connection, buffering, caching, and slow computer.

Even when it shows it has cached enough video to play it's still jumpy for me.

gait

Explorer
Even when it shows it has cached enough video to play it's still jumpy for me.

yup, and even when its got it all, cached, and I replay it, its still jumpy for me because my computer is slow.

I have a faster computer, that's jumpy because of download (only 30Mb/sec ...) but ok on replay.

I went looking for how to convert my MP4 to something smaller but haven't found it yet .... too many variations and I don't use u-tube.

Fugly

Adventurer
Great little vid.....
Wish I was there ...
Haven't been there in 20 odd years.....
I am in The Pilbara at work....
35 deg C days and this is winter......lol

Cheers Fugly

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Mixing it with the big boys at Rainbow Beach

Spies discover fellow explorer member mixing with the big boys at Rainbow Beach today.
IMG_5937.jpg
Enjoy Fraser Island guys
Awesome meeting you
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94