Camel Trophy

Redback

Adventurer
My conrtibution to this thread, this is a copy of a thread from AULRO Australian LandRover Owners Forum that i'm a member of, the person who posted this is in Brisbane.

I think this should be a great event and i for one will be there.

As many will know the Camel Trophy for 1986 was held here in Australia.

Vital stats are:
shieldweb1986.jpg

Quote:
AUSTRALIA

Cooktown to Darwin
(3,218 km / 2,000 miles)

vehicle: Land Rover 90

Winner: Jacques Mambre / Michel Courvalet (France)
Team Spirit Award: Glenn Jones / Ronn Begg (Australia)

Fast progress was made through the dry and dusty outback, averaging 247 km (154 miles) each day.

Raft building led to a 24-hour delay at one river crossing.[/b]

With a view to writing a brief history of the event (ie for a magazine article for the LROC and AULRO) I have also contacted the Camel Trophy vehicle owners club in the UK and a few other places.

So firstly, if anyone has any information on the event could they please PM me, or email me with the stuff (photos too) so that I can string it all together. It will all end up on this site in due course, I promise.

Secondly, and here's the brainstormy bit:

While we've missed a chance this year (the 20th anniversary) we do have time up our sleeve if we were to run a celebratory event in say 2011 (the 25th anniversary).

What sort of celebration :?:

Well if possible I was thinking a journey of LR vehicles (i.e. an Aussie wide LROC and AULRO get together) retracing as closely as possible the trophy route. So 2011 MIGHT give us enough time to get organised.

Obviously this idea is contingent upon MANY factors, but the research is the first thing required in the planning.

So any information that is forthcoming would be appreciated.

Also if anyone happens to know there whereabouts of any people involved in the event (especially the competitors who won the team spirit award) that would of course be very helpful.

I elect myself President, chief cook, and bottle washer of the 'event' committee.

Email address for all correspondence for this trip etc:
cameltrek@optusnet.com.au

AusMap2.jpg

Some video

This is Guy (chairman of the Camel club) He is abit of a nutter in his 110 please download Vids, i haven't seen these as yet i can't watch video at work:mad:

http://www.reads4x4.com/MVI_0259.avi

http://www.reads4x4.com/MVI_3858.avi

and some pictures for you to look at

main.php

main.php

Baz.

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
That would be fun to do!

I still have an article about the Australian Camel Trophy. At one point it describes several of the participants getting lost, and a blue-haired Aussie grandmother appears in a Land Cruiser and shows them the way.

The two video clips are hilarious (but the photo link didn't work for me).

Redback

Adventurer
Those links didn't work for me either, ill see if i can get them to work.

OK they should work now

Last edited:

cameltrophy3

Camel

Hey guys. I am a newbie to this list, but not so new to the off road and expedition community. I have worked off and on for Land Rover since 1996and had the chance to drive some of the Camels that were here in the States. Tom Collins was a figure that early on, even before I was involved with Land Rover, gave me the vision and the drive to accomplish some of the things I was able to do. The Great Divide Expedition, the 9 Camel Trophy events he was a part of, etc. Surprisingly enough, I had never met him until I went to a 'Range Rover' event as an owner in Mahwah NJ in 2004 to get a sneak peak at the LR3. They had a prototype LR3 there but the focus was Range Rovers. I was able to off road in a Rangie with Tom and chat briefly about his influence on the focus of my life. We discussed that he had bought one of the Great Divide vehicles and kept it for many years, using it in the Land Rover school that he had in Co. I mentioned that I had owned 14 Rovers and he asked which was my favorite. Princess; the Eco Challenge Discovery, I answered. 1996 quazi-prototype for the XD that was used on the Eco Challenge in British Columbia. Rover was a sponsor and had supplied 28 of these 1996 vehicles all decked out in yellow with roof racks and brush bars to look like a Camel Trophy vehicle. (Pics at my website and on http://www.discoweb.org/hermanwilliams/index.htm)
Anyhow, I am rambling. Meeting Tom was very cool and working with and around Rover proved to be quite an experience with many and varied people.
Rover on...
(Today I drive a Jeep :O)

Scott Brady

Founder
Welcome!

I also have had the great pleasure of meeting and talking with Tom. What a gentleman and great story teller. I stood wide-eyed listening to him recount several adventures, including a run-in with the Chilean special forces.

Awesome guy...

DL4PLM

the Swiss!

Hi Michael,

interesting that you applied for CT events :) I never made it either!

However..... I do own a piece of Swiss team history and was actually wondering if you know either of the drivers of my history item :)

Would be great if you do know them - I have a big box of history along with the car but so far not able to trace either Alwin or Urs!

Anyway - J426ROP is still being looked after :)

Kindest regards

Simon
CT92 - Swiss Team 200TDI Camel Discovery

The Swiss said:
I applied for the Camel Trophies for 1993, 1994 and 1995 for the Swiss Team. I made it to the selections each time, but unluckily never made the cut to the last 16. Needless to say I kept all the memorabilia from my 3 glorious days at Camel Trophy.

I then later on had the opportunity to hone my off road driving skills with one of the "journalists" sitting inn in the Swiss vehicle from '91 through '94. Needless to say he was more a coach for the Swiss Team than anything else. The Swiss won in '92 and scored 2nd in '91 and were 4th in '93, (do not remember '94). I also joined him on two trips, one on old, abandoned military roads through the Swiss, French and Italien Alps, one through the Pyreneese Mountains between France, Spain and Andorra.

What other story related to the Camel Trophy? In my cousin's wedding in '92, there was one guy really hitting on my sister-in-law and he really tried to impress her. I guess it was not all bs he told her as it was him who then represented Switzerland at the Camel Trophy 1993 in Malaysia.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Simon,

Welcome to Expedition Portal!

The next issue of Overland Journal is going to have an awesome story about the 1994 Camel Trophy pre-scout in South America.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Simon, welcome to ExPo. You are so lucky to have that Discovery! Congratulations and good luck finding those guys.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Simon-

:drool: :drool: :drool: This may be a coincidence, but if that is your garage in the second photo, that is where most of my dreams occur! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Welcome, and please post up more of your CT items!!!!

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I borrowed the Camel Trophy video that they sell on Dweb from a friend of mine. I must have watched it a billion times before I finally gave it back to him... a year later!:shakin:

DL4PLM

Andrew

alas no.....

And I had to be dragged kicking screaming and drooling from that place...!

But not before my cheque book had signed myself up to a yellow truck!

:wings:

:smiley_drive:

A very dangerous place to visit :)

OK sure Ill dig some more pics out at the weekend :)

Andrew Walcker said:
Simon-

:drool: :drool: :drool: This may be a coincidence, but if that is your garage in the second photo, that is where most of my dreams occur! :drool: :drool: :drool:

DL4PLM

by the way ... i saw your sig file!

this is my other truck :)

Andrew Walcker said:
Simon-

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Very nice! I knew you had impeccable taste in vehicles:) What year and what mods have you done to her? Looking forward to more pics of both vehicles!

DL4PLM

ahhh .... yes indeed! I love my defender too!

2003 - mods . numerous!

Apart from the obvious 5 spoke steels and BFG MTs - my kleiner Grüner Panzer I also fitted rock sliders, under body protection front back and middle, winch and winch bumper, snorky etc - Took out the seats in the back as there is only me who drives so space for tool boxes, ropes n recovery kit, strops etc.

Im not a heavy off roader so no crazy 2" lifts and all the trouble they bring - just std running chassis

For comfort factor she has a becker CD multi changer and amp /spkrs extra!

Have not got round to the chip and intercooler mod yet but thats coming.

Shes fast - even for a 90 and have had 100mph out of her on the autobahn!

Ahh for my other hobby (amateur radio) she now sports an IC706MK2G HF/VHF/UHF transceiver - A Kenwood DM707 dual bander - 2 whips - dual band VHF/UHF and a High Sierra HF autotune whip!

my friend has a Ford Mustang and his GF peed him off the other day cos he was preening him self over how good it looked...... she laughed and said "now simons Landrover.... thats a REAL mans car!!!" BWHAHAHA he was not happy!

BUt she turns some heads in the city when I plod about :)

:gunt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke