Camel Trophy

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
DL4PLM said:
my friend has a Ford Mustang and his GF peed him off the other day cos he was preening him self over how good it looked...... she laughed and said "now simons Landrover.... thats a REAL mans car!!!" BWHAHAHA he was not happy!

:gunt:
:jump: That is too funny! Great looking Defender!

DL4PLM

:safari-rig: :wings:

Ohhh I am landie mad!

My first landie was a Discovery in the early 90s - I was driving them in the navy and thought them fun so I bought my own - of course soon I wanted to off road and the Discovery was too shiney - I bought a second car - an old TD90 with a 19J diesel in it :jumping:

One day I went to buy an exhaust gasket from our local dealer and came back with a very nice 300TDI 110 !!!!!

My wife never forgave me!

We split 4 years ago and I moved to Germany where I now run amok in Düsseldorf :oops:

Now I am free to buy the Landies I like ..... :shakin:

My new fiance humours me ..... she talks about the green tank ..... and my finds the Camel funny .... but actually I think she likes them!

So yep .... 2 Landies and to be honest its good I dont have more space .....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a hankering for a lightweight for the summer days here ..... with a V8

:violent-smiley-031:

So you see I am not a normal guy - I am totally Landie mad and cannot find it in myself to drive a normal car!

But then whats normal :)

:exclaim:

regards

Simon

bootzilla said:
Camel Trophy Disco AND a Defender??

:bowdown: :26_7_2:

czenkov

Adventurer
I had heard of CT in the early 90's from a buddy that was into Land Cruisers. Never paid much attention to it, now I wish I had.

OVEX 2011. On the LRE course Jim Swett rode with me and Fred Monsees rode with the GF in my Defender. Later that night at the dinner they lined up the CT guys so they could tell the crowd stories. We had the good fortune to be sitting right up front and as one CT competitor further down the line would talk about their experience the others would comment and include us in the "sidebar" (Tom Collins, Jim Swett, Fred Monsees and a couple others were right in front of us). Pretty cool experience!

In 2012 I met The Rover Shop who resurrected this thread. He is the quintessential "that guy". Good Luck on your trip Shayne.

Mack73

Adventurer
I can say that Camel Trophy is 100% why I have a land rover today.

I was younger than I would have like at the time this was occuring, but I remember watching the TV coverage in amazement - and it is some of the fondest memories I have growing up.

I hope someone is able to resurrect the original concept, instead of the "adventure sports" focus towards the end of the G4.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
It may be a little premature but I have an idea of something really col to do for the upcoming 50 year anniversary of the Camel Trophy.. I will be talking to a bunch of new acquaintences I made at Overland Expo these weeks gone by and trying to see if I can be instrumental in having a get together of Camel Trophy vehicles to retrace the trip taken in its very first year with as many as possible Camel vehicles and drivers as possible...going to try and get Land Rover and Jeep to work in conjunction with World-Wide brands to pull this together..still 8 years away but I would like to make it as easy as possible to have people ship original camels to its original location and we can do an easy version of it...lets face it, alot of these vehicles are becoming priceless now and we don't want to screw em up...I for one know that I would jump at the chance and since I am in negotiations to buy another camel vehicle I expect to have at least 3 of my own personal vehicles to run the route by then...I am sure I will be able to find additional drivers...LOL...

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
going to try and get Land Rover and Jeep to work in conjunction with World-Wide brands to pull this together
Hit up Ford too, since the Jeeps used were built by Ford, and Ford owned Land Rover for a while.

Like Scott, I had an application but never sent it in. My wife wasn't too keen on me going away for who knows how long leaving her with a newborn. Not that I really would have.

I guess my other post didn't make it somehow. Great thread resurrection there Rover Shop.

My dad had some of the videos on VHS as a kid and it's what really got me into Land Rovers and 4 wheeling in general. It would be absolutely awesome to have a new one in the future. Maybe we could get double lucky and Land Rover will get back into making the Best 4x4 By Far available everywhere including here. By that I mean a solid axled, purpose built 4x4, that's easy to work on, preferably Diesel ;) Hey we can all dream right.
I don't know if it would help, and I don't know how to do it but maybe one of the online polls of how many would like to see it done again and how many would want to buy a DVD of it. Maybe how much seeing a vehicle slightly modified completing such a task would affect your decision on purchasing one in the future. Lets face it it'll never happen if the companies don't see $$$$$$$$ from their efforts, and who could blame them. I'm all for brining back the Greatest Adventure on Earth ;)

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I think I may have lost my CAMEL mind.....gone camel crazy...taken a hobby/like too far... Not going to spoil it yet but hopefully pics soon to follow...don't wanna jinx myself..

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
That would be great if they brought something like the camel trophy back, I have a couple of the DVDs and me and the kids watch them quite a bit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier